Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tank.......

Wanna see a pair of alloy ribbed fenders that are nearly old as dirt?

I'm not sure if they came from the UK or Germany but they are VERY light and these are the first I've seen in over 25 years of putzing about with obscure and special interest bikes.

Has anyone else seen any that aren't modern?

Aftermarket and came off a German Race bike.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, they need some smoothing and maybe hole filling......

This Ducati tank is kinda cool.......

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the larger of the fenders looks like it was cut from a 1930s ribbed automobile spare tire cover. The front I have no idea. The only bikes I have ever seen with ribbed fenders like that are 1950s triumphs.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just looking them over, I'd guess a craftsman in the land of UK hand rolled them both and it would seem reasonable that these aren't the only ones the guy did

that front one fits very nice on a 21

was poking about thru more stuff and found ribbed fenders on a Zundapp, a Puch, and a NSU

and a few others I've no idea which kraut bike they came from but know they are kraut

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the front looks like it has always been a motorcycle fender to me, it may have been cut from a larger piece but it is too small to have been part of something automotive which is where these things usually come from. It looks like the rear may have been cut from something else (like that tire carrier). IF you look at the rear the ends don't taper out like the front does indicating that at one point it was a complete circle. Also as far as I know when the ribbed fenders were used on bikes by the factory the ribs were the same size front and rear, on that the rear is obviously bigger.

what are you doing with them? keeping or selling?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going them up the ebay flagpole and see who salutes.

I've looked them over and am about 100% certain both were rolled by the same craftsman. The reason I don't think the rear was taken from a tire carrier, it's far too large a radius for anything I can think of, automotive anyhow, yet perfectly suitable for a swing-arm bike.

The fender ends are actually both finished exactly the same but one tip of one fender is actually tweaked a bit and I only untweaked it by hand instead of whooping up on it with the body hammers and pexto.

decided against putting fenders on my fbed with alloy tank and seat.

oh....... here they are as found.... the front fender stays polished nearly perfect and too good to be UK chrome

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
old cars that had those style tire carriers used 21" wooden spoke wheels. that is why they were perfect donors for bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts