Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't really know where this fit so I am putting it here. What is your opinion of an polished alloy/aluminum tank and seat? Do you think it looks good or is it just too British? Would you prefer to stick with paint or is polished aluminum an option to you?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Zoulou, I am going to cafe this bike...

i'm going to go with aluminum for the seat so i can polish a scallop on each side and paint the rest to match the tank.
you can't polish fiberglass to a chrome like finish.

but usually, glass is what i prefer as its easy, cheap and won't dent. and its lighter usually.
while i was typing i made the seat for the above bike.

here it is....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Zoulou, I am going to cafe this bike...

i'm going to go with aluminum for the seat so i can polish a scallop on each side and paint the rest to match the tank.
you can't polish fiberglass to a chrome like finish.

but usually, glass is what i prefer as its easy, cheap and won't dent. and its lighter usually.
while i was typing i made the seat for the above bike.

here it is....

·
Registered
50 Posts
best picture ever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
best picture ever.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
aluminum is dead sexy, the problem is it is expensive and hard to do stuff with. Any tinbanger worth his salt will get over to $1000 for a tank and $500 for a seat out of alloy, and on a jap bike that you paid less than a grand for it is hard to justify the cost. If you have no conscience about spending it though go for it...it is so worth it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
aluminum is dead sexy, the problem is it is expensive and hard to do stuff with. Any tinbanger worth his salt will get over to $1000 for a tank and $500 for a seat out of alloy, and on a jap bike that you paid less than a grand for it is hard to justify the cost. If you have no conscience about spending it though go for it...it is so worth it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geeto deffinately agree and see your point alloy is out the window on this project. boo but pamp great work on that picture pure sex haha. but i just think there is nothin sexier than an alloy than and seat and then a nice shaved down painted frame

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geeto deffinately agree and see your point alloy is out the window on this project. boo but pamp great work on that picture pure sex haha. but i just think there is nothin sexier than an alloy than and seat and then a nice shaved down painted frame

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
a trick a friend of mine showed me to make chrome sidepanels for honda tanks is to get a second junk tank, cut out the panel section you want to be chrome (must include the emblem area). He would use a $15 bead roller tool he got from eastwood to edge the panel but you could just smooth it. Then he would cut the emblem mount off the panel and use the honda emblem (plus 3m spray adhesive) to stick the panel to the side of the tank. this was after he had it chromed of course.

if you use the bull technique of making your bumstop out of an old gas tank you could have it and your tank chromed and that would give you the polished alloy look at 1/3 the price. You could also have it copper plated even cheaper (think about that, an all black bike with a copper tank and seat - hotness).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
a trick a friend of mine showed me to make chrome sidepanels for honda tanks is to get a second junk tank, cut out the panel section you want to be chrome (must include the emblem area). He would use a $15 bead roller tool he got from eastwood to edge the panel but you could just smooth it. Then he would cut the emblem mount off the panel and use the honda emblem (plus 3m spray adhesive) to stick the panel to the side of the tank. this was after he had it chromed of course.

if you use the bull technique of making your bumstop out of an old gas tank you could have it and your tank chromed and that would give you the polished alloy look at 1/3 the price. You could also have it copper plated even cheaper (think about that, an all black bike with a copper tank and seat - hotness).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
one thing a buddy of mine did was to get gold leaf vynil (not actual leaf but a vynil that looks identical). They have silver leaf also that looks like polished alloy. much easier but unless you dress it up a little (pinstriping, etc) it will look like a sticker.

I guess my only point is that there are a dozen different ways to approach this look and each one has a different effect. remember, old moto guzzi's have a chromed tank and painted designs over it

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
one thing a buddy of mine did was to get gold leaf vynil (not actual leaf but a vynil that looks identical). They have silver leaf also that looks like polished alloy. much easier but unless you dress it up a little (pinstriping, etc) it will look like a sticker.

I guess my only point is that there are a dozen different ways to approach this look and each one has a different effect. remember, old moto guzzi's have a chromed tank and painted designs over it

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
get of my sack you guys, my pos work computer only has ms paint. The vinyl siding is that new "speed" siding. it'll trickle down to your neighborhood soon.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea pamp you should probably try and get ur money back on that siding. Either that or just beat the guy who did it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Another option is to maybe grab a nice steel tank , bang it to your liking and either chrome or ceramic coat it . Performance coaings makes a ceramic finish that looks just like polished aluminum . Plus it's a lot cheaper than buying an aluminum tank . And tougher. That's if you want to go that route of course .

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
has anyone ever bought "chrome" spray paint? you picked it up because the cap looked great, and if it was any indication of the actual product your project was going to look like a million bucks! you get to the garage and prep your item for "chrome" paint. only to find out its basically a glossy silver.

How do they get the cap to look so damn good? is it a plating that works with plastics? cause that damn cap looks great.

the ceramic and chrome powder coats end up dulling out pretty fast from what i've seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts