Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Geeto, I remember a post from you a while ago stating that you had bought old hondamatics and swapped out the rims.

How much do the aluminum rims go for these days? There's a 76' hondamatic 750 for sale in my area for $1400.00 (CDN).

I was thinking about buying it for 1200, swapping out the rims, selling it again for what i paid and throwing the aluminum rims either up for sale or keep em for a project bike.

Worth it?

Hey By'

Edited by - ease on Aug 07 2007 11:51:08 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
not sure, they fluctuate wildly. I've seen ebay sell them for $50 and $250 so it all depends on who needs them.

What makes them so special to the honda SOHC guys is that the hubs are the same for cb750s also so we are not talking about swapping just the rim, but the whole goddamn wheel (spacers and cush drive are different so you have to use the correct ones for your bike). definatly worth it if you have a cb750, not so much if you are just going to let the bike hang around.

I used to do this with $300 hondamatics, not $1500 hondamatics (if there is such a thing) because the bikes can be hard to move sometimes (you have to find the right buyer). I would feel less bad about being stuck with a $300 lump than a $1500 lump I couldn't sell. Although I did occasionally make money on bikes I bought and sold I was just as happy to take a loss provided I was still paying less for the rims than aftermarket alloy rims would cost me.

I wouldn't buy that hondamatic in the pic for more than $900. I know plenty of CB hondas in better shape going for less right now, and as I said before an automatic motorcycle is kinda hard to sell. Plus the season is almost over so if you wait she might come up cheaper.

Personally I haven't seen a hondamatic in a while so I think my days of buying, swapping, and selling are pretty much at an end.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up.
I won't bother then.
If i knew I could make $400 from selling the wheels (including $50 each for stock used replacements) then I would go for it. But the possibility of waiting all winter for a buyer and being out 1200 bucks doesn't appeal to me.

I appreciate the input.

Hey By'

1 - 3 of 3 Posts