Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry...How the hell is everyone cleaning/polishing these old bikes. This 78' CB 750 needs some serious polishing on all the aluminum...what are u guys using? I take it there isnt a chemical that is going to work, so what are u using for air tools or on a drill? I want to get this this shinning.. THANKs!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
get your drill, and dremel, pick up several different types of polish, semichrome, mothers, neverdull, noxon, etc..lots of old tee-shirts, towels ...0000 steel wool

get your buffs here http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/index.html

put on some music, and have at it...it takes alot of time and trial....best to remove the parts you're working on.

or you could send it all out and pay.

dch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alrighty...hopeing for an easier way, but i will start soon...I will post some before and after pics. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Zeus87

alrighty...hopeing for an easier way, but i will start soon...I will post some before and after pics. Thanks!
I dont know if it will help, but I will pass on some wise info a friend once told me.

He said, "Always hire a tweaker to do your aluminum polishing."

Laurence

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Somehow I just new polishing would lead to meth addiciton.....

Mothers makes a powerball that you put on the end of a drill. If you aren't looking for the show chrome shine but just a nice clean metal look this thing is awsome. My buddy did his covers on the bike and they came out really nice.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
for the best look, remove parts and use a bench buffer and rouge.
for an ok finish without removing the parts, very carefully spray airplane paint striper on the covers without overspraying onto painted items like the frame. maybe i should say, mask off areas with paint that don't wish the stripper to ruin. all the aluminum has a clear coat or something sprayed on them at the factory. it turns gross and yellowish. this paint stripper will remove it.

next, get some running compound and applicator pads and cloth towels to buff the compound off with. the powerball does work well, but its pricey and can't get all the tight spots.

·
Registered
116 Posts
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

If you remove the clearcoat, then you've always have to keep it polished, right? It'll corrode otherwise?
Aluminum? No, but the finish dulls more quickly than cleared aluminum. Thats why the manufacturers clear it in the first place. They wanted the bikes to look good for as long as possible.

·
Registered
141 Posts
you can also go the way i go about doing it. means lot of wetsanding.
I start off with a heavy 180 grit then work my way to 1500 grit. witch is like regular paper. then i get out the rubbing compound and the small metal buffer wheel. have at it for abit then switch to polishing compound. I can get alum to shine like chrome. every see a sport bike with a nice shiney frame, wheels swingarm. ect. thats what polishing should look like. chrome with out the wt of chrome. the down fall is you have to keep up with it or it will dull on you and look like crap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made a little tool for my drill, consisted of 6 scotch brite pads. Spent a couple hours with that, then a little 3M rubbing compound from the old mustang restoration. Its going slow, but im not going to go too crazy....bike needs some work. I figured i would clean things up a bit while i wait for parts. Here are some quick shots i took.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
141 Posts
not bad. i seen them worst. my little cb125 had no shine to it at all.
its coming around. just need some more buffing. if you really want a pro polish look. check out eastwoodco.com thats were i get all my polishing stuff. loads of compounds buffing wheels and kits. I have over a grand just in poliching stuff to do sportbike frames, and anything that can be polished.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts