Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Never even looked at one that didn't give me some sort of issue. They are the most confused bike kawasaki ever made - they weren't sure if it would appeal to the racer guys into twins, the chopper/crusier set, or the daily commuter crowd so they combined the worst attributed of all three genres.

They weigh 500 lbs and make all of 49hp, handle as well as a fat girl on stilts dances, and are saddled with the worst most unreliable left over electrical bits kawasaki could pull out of a toilet they had just plunged.

It is basically a scaled up kz400 motor so it has the delightful extra bit of maintenance of checking the 4 spinning chains inside the engine.

I used to have a raw and seething hatred of these bikes because of one that was an endless project in new orleans and we could never get it to run right.

That being said - now that xs650s and cb450 are pretty much hipster jewelry and way overpriced (esp the xs650), the 49 hp lump might not be all that bad in a chopper frame or even just putting that godawful piggy on a diet. Chrome fenders on kawasakis drive me nuts in general because they weigh exactly one metric fuck ton and this bike is blessed with those shiney bricks at both ends. replacing stuff with lighter stuff is probably the move I would make.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I had put mine on a diet also and replaced the fenders with something plastic, can't remember but probably a modified motocross/enduro fender.
Never had the electrical woes mentioned.
ed

·
Registered
405 Posts
like the bike's looks great 'cept that oversize tail spoiler and seat.. I'd take those off, bolt on a single place tracker style seat.. leave that heavy rear chrome fender on it and bolt a fender mounted lamp like the SR's.. that front fender is huge , can you cut it down and pivot that braket up some?.. just my thoughts to clean it up some..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts