Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Offer him 1600 for it if he brings it to you with a title. Meet him at the state police barracks. Tell him cash money in hand.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Offer him 1600 for it if he brings it to you with a title. Meet him at the state police barracks. Tell him cash money in hand.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
id say easily worth between 3500 an 5k running. and 3500 would have people fighting over it. the guy who bought my bonneville was falling over himself at 1500 and it wasnt anywhere near as nice as that bsa. i had 50 replies in under 2 hours.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
id say easily worth between 3500 an 5k running. and 3500 would have people fighting over it. the guy who bought my bonneville was falling over himself at 1500 and it wasnt anywhere near as nice as that bsa. i had 50 replies in under 2 hours.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
That's an oil-in-frame model. To the best of my knowledge, they didn't start making them until 1972. Essentially a re-badged Bonneville., although looking at that ad, valve covers are different. Might not make any difference, but if you're suspect already, it can't hurt to have the info.
1st year OIF bikes (Bonneville, Thunderbolt, Lightning, etc) are supposed to be the very least desirable. However, I have a '72 Bonnie, and always liked it fine. Thunderbolt is single carb model... easier to tune & almost as fast as dual carb models.

If the motor is indeed the same motor as Triumphs of that vintage, they use a 9-stud cylinder head beginning in '72, which is much rarer than typical heads.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
That's an oil-in-frame model. To the best of my knowledge, they didn't start making them until 1972. Essentially a re-badged Bonneville., although looking at that ad, valve covers are different. Might not make any difference, but if you're suspect already, it can't hurt to have the info.
1st year OIF bikes (Bonneville, Thunderbolt, Lightning, etc) are supposed to be the very least desirable. However, I have a '72 Bonnie, and always liked it fine. Thunderbolt is single carb model... easier to tune & almost as fast as dual carb models.

If the motor is indeed the same motor as Triumphs of that vintage, they use a 9-stud cylinder head beginning in '72, which is much rarer than typical heads.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Oh yeah, by this point, they were no longer using whitworth (I'm pretty sure), so your SAE wrenches will be fine.
Also, original silencers were crap, and known to fall apart. In '73 or '74 they started fitting a much uglier, longer muffler which extended beyond the rear wheel. Dunstall reps will look just about right, IMHO.
And if you've never owned old British, Lucas has earned every disparaging comment you've ever heard, "Prince of darkness", "Home before dark", etc.

Keep in mind, 1971/72 was getting very near the end of the line for those guys. Workers took over the factory in a sit-down strike at the end of 1972, and kept the plant closed for months... so that bike was probably built by some pretty disgruntled workers.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Oh yeah, by this point, they were no longer using whitworth (I'm pretty sure), so your SAE wrenches will be fine.
Also, original silencers were crap, and known to fall apart. In '73 or '74 they started fitting a much uglier, longer muffler which extended beyond the rear wheel. Dunstall reps will look just about right, IMHO.
And if you've never owned old British, Lucas has earned every disparaging comment you've ever heard, "Prince of darkness", "Home before dark", etc.

Keep in mind, 1971/72 was getting very near the end of the line for those guys. Workers took over the factory in a sit-down strike at the end of 1972, and kept the plant closed for months... so that bike was probably built by some pretty disgruntled workers.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Why are you still reading this.....run out and buy it already....

To the uninitiated fledgling cafe racers wrenching on hondas BSA/Triumph/Norton ownership is hallowed ground reguardless of what model. You could buy that bike, dress it up with some of your parts and really use it as a promotional tool to sell turn signals, grips, guage mounts, you name it. To me it is a no brainer cheap way to get some badge credibility, esp if you build a proper cafe/GT machine out of it.

I don't know what this guy was smoking, but all the BSA's that were triumphs had gray frames. Even the rocket 3 had a gray frame in 1970-71 (though they did build them black too). It is only rare because most of america found the gray frame ugly and repainted them black.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts