Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'd say you'd be crazy to pay that much for that bike. $1,500 would be a high price to pay. And buyer beware on some of the issues with that bike in general. And they're a PITA to work on.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, my first bike.

There's a difference between being stupid and being nostalgic. Sounds like it would fall under the stupid category.
I never did any work other than oil changes & brakes on mine so I had no idea they were hard to work on.
I always kinda liked those FZ600s from the same period. Just thinking about the 'next one', but for the right price that could turn into 'in addition to'
Not married to any bike in particular just something fun in the mid cc range (I'm small) that is fairly reliable.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i will own an interceptor some day. love them. lust them. think about them when i pee.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Even though they're not my thing, I think a nice 500 Intercepter would be good property. Sounds like that one's had all the shitty stuff attended to; carbs, valve adjustment. Not sure if the $2250's the new low price or what. Small displacement hurts it's value, but everyone wanted one back in the day. Myself included until I aged and became aware of how much I dislike Honda V4s.

Now on the other hand I have three FZ600s, Ken Essex has a couple, Tex had one, CurbTiger does too IIRC. Point being; All the cool kids have/have had one and they're much easier to work on.

Then again I see the Intercepter as being more collectible.

It's not that much money, you should get it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I'd be all over that if it were closer to me. Just me saying that should tell you it's a bad idea.

The tank's probably rusty. They all are.

May need a petcock. Just put needles and seats in my 86 they were like $20 ea from Yamaha. Can't get the right ones from PU.

The front brakes are stuck(common). Notice the caliper's just hanging so they can roll it. Just blow them apart. Clean the piston/bore, no biggie.

Every one I've ever bought needed steering head bearings, but none were that low mile.

You should buy that one too or at least look at if for me.

My 88. Black wheels and fork legs, red front fender off my flood 86. Much more badass.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cute? I never know if you guys are fucking with me or not :)

That is nice looking, Ken.

I may give him a ring. Not sure it's even still for sale, kind of an old listing. Maybe he's come down some?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've only been around a few v-four Hondas. I synched a set of carbs on the 500 Interceptor. It was a pain in the bum. Same procedure as any other multi, just that with the carbs being tightly nestled in the V, makes getting to the adjustment screws a pain, or ummmm,,, more of a pain than many of the in-line motors can be. Adjust the valves on the v-fours is a more of a pain too. Again, the adjusting itself isn't really any different than others, just with that V, a bit more labor intensive to get to it all. I think that is the jist of it, when some fellas talk about them being a pain to work on.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The 500 interceptors had oiling and crank bearing journal clearance problems, but mostly on hard-ridden ones. That's too much to pay, IMHO.

Those FZ600's on the other hand were stout, handled well, but didn't have the power of the Hurricanes and ZX600's of the day. The best revenge was riding better than those guys on a bike they classified as "inferior". Styling still holds up over time. Dead sexy. Same engine as the FJ600. My wife rode an FJ off a 50 foot cliff into a lake. Probably would have started after draining except for that nasty hole in the engine case.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Emit,
Assuming your wife is still with us she's a badass in my book.

Gave the guy a call and left a message. We'll see if he calls back. I could buy it and still have a little money left to put into it and then I'd have to start selling stuff off to feed my habit. I like my little KZ (of course I just stripped out twoexhaust studs so I'll be doing a little more work tomorrow), but for the most part I think it's come around pretty good. I could part with it for the right price.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You have no idea. I married a longshoreman with tits.

You should try to get a Bandit 400 or a CB-1. The bikes I bought that I had in my youth have been minor to moderate disappointments the second time around, save for my TDM. Don't cloud over the memories, get something different, make new memories.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I never had an FZ so it would be my first time around ;)

The bikes you mention are probably out of my price range. I'm not, and probably won't ever be, looking for anything other than a small fun bike to ride around the back roads and maybe some road trips on occasion.

I just spoke with the FZ guy -

The Good -
He still has it
It does have a title
It does run

The Bad -
Tires are old
Needs float needles ($40 ea) at the very least and likely carbs rebuilt just because it's been sitting
The lower fairing is cracked/broken but he says repairable
The caliper hanging in the pic was off to clean/free it up but it's back on now and the brakes work fine according to him.
Dent in the tank

He said if I showed up with cash he'd come off the $1400. He's a bike guy. He mentioned alot of bikes he's had over the years which is a good thing being that I think he'd be reasonable.
He doesn't really need to sell it and I don't really need to buy it so whats a good offer without insulting him.
I'd likely just park it for awhile until I finish the KZ and then get to it this winter or next spring.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My favorite ploy, 'cause I'm a cheapskate - look the bike over, then say, "Okay. I'd normally lowball you and offer $1000 just to see what you'd do, but I like you, I like the bike, so how about we cut the crap and split it down the middle at $1200?" Which is what you wanted to pay anyway.

The trick is to find a proposed "lowball price" that isn't so low that the person thinks you're insulting but is low enough that it allows you to "split the difference" between what he's asking and what you want to pay that would still be a reasonable offer to him in the end.

The only problem with that scenario working is you said he's a bike guy, and he might have seen/done it before to someone else. If he winds up being a punk that just reads a lot of magazines, it's worth a try.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as I can find for parts the only thing avaiable for the FZ carb wise are the float needles and float bowl gaskets. Replacing those would be in the $150 range.
The lower fairings are $104 ea from Airtech
Tires - $250 range
And I figure I'll likely have to do some other things that would total in teh $100-$200 range in parts.

So to get the bike to tip top I'd be looking are $700+ over time. And thats not addressing the gas tank or paint for fairing and said tank. I suppose I could find used stuff on ebay for less but still money put in.

I think it might be worth it if I can get it for $1000

1 - 20 of 41 Posts