Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
WOW......

that is your oil drain bolt, and yes that rubber cement goop is not supposed to be there.

If I had to guess, I would say that a previous owner stripped the oil drain bolt putting it back in and to temporarily fix it covered it in some kind of sealant to keep it from leaking.

If you have never changed the oil since you bought the bike, my suggestion is to warm the bike up to operating temp, remove the oil drain bolt and inspect to see what the problem is, and if there is a stripped oil bolt remove the entire oil pan. Now would be a good time to clean out 30 years worth of sludge from inside the pan.

If you have to replace the oil bolt You can take the oil pan down to your local auto parts store and try to get a magnetic oil drain plug for a car that is only slightly bigger than the one you have, drill the oil pan and tap it for the new bolt.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Damn that almost looks like JB weld

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah a guy on SOHC4 said it was JB weld, im not familiar with JB welb, but whatever it is it aint goin nowhere. i banged on that shit with several improvised scraping tools and just gave up.

i just took the whole pan off, messy as balls, but i guess there isnt really an option. the pan looked pretty clean on the inside. should i try to clean the screen on the pump?

anybody got a pan and gasket they want to sell me?

and what kind of fucking idiot puts jb weld on an oil drain plug. this bike is frustrating the fuck out of me.

My CB750 Project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4739

Edited by - kawiracer on Sep 19 2007 8:11:39 PM

Edited by - kawiracer on Sep 19 2007 8:23:49 PM

·
Registered
278 Posts
That jb weld is actually stock. If you look in your manual, I think you'll find that the correct oil drain procedure for that bike involves flipping the bike upside down and draining out of the pcv vent.

A

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:
yeah a guy on SOHC4 said it was JB weld, im not familiar with JB welb, but whatever it is it aint goin nowhere. i banged on that shit with several improvised scraping tools and just gave up.

i just took the whole pan off, messy as balls, but i guess there isnt really an option. the pan looked pretty clean on the inside. should i try to clean the screen on the pump?

anybody got a pan and gasket they want to sell me?

and what kind of fucking idiot puts jb weld on an oil drain plug. this bike is frustrating the fuck out of me.
Sorry to hear about your experience with the prior owner's main-duh-nance. Stick with it, tho. I'm encouraged that there was not a hefty deposit of sludge on the bottom of the pan. Might mean the bottom end isn't in too bad of shape. I'd clean whatever I could get my hands on if I were you.

As for the JB Weld ("For when tomorrow does not matter") I'd look at taking a dremel to the excess and try to chip away until you got down to the facets of the drain bolt. Then I'd give it a mighty twist. But that's just me. Bet anything the threads are gone but you might stand a chance of breaking the JB loose. Then do as Mr. Geeto67 says and tap in a new drain plug. PRESTO!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Either the dremel or maybe a stiff wire brush on a drill...you can sometimes power brush the JB weld and "wear" it right off. Problem is...I bet he's got the stuff inside the threads too.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
from a wanker's point of view, it looks like a maintenance free, spec-sealed racing engine.

-fasterwank

Edited by - ttilghman on Sep 20 2007 09:50:17 AM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, on a honda you only ever have to fill the thing with oil once. a drain is useless. just ask tex!!

jc

·
Registered
687 Posts
i saw xander attempt and fail to kill his cb200 by not changing the oil till after 800000 miles (ballpark) and the oil had lost all viscosity, gushing out more like dirty water than oil.

...connoisseur of slack...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts