Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little back story, I live in a small City in SK about 8,000 people, we don't have any motorcycle "dealers" per say, but have one independent that has the gear to change balance and true motorcycle rims, I bought a front tire from him for my Harley Davidson FXDB last year and had him put it on. Well I have an old '78 KZ650 that I am working on and I wanted to put "dirt track style" tires on it. The tires I wanted are made by Vee Rubber, and are not distributed in Canada, so I hit the internet and order them through a US importer, no biggy great price. Anyhow I get the tires and take the wheels off my KZ, take them down to the independent and ask if he can swap the rubber and balance the wheels, he says to me "I sell tires I don't change them" I told him that I would have bought from him but he wouldn't have even been able to get these tires for me, and he said "he didn't want the excersize" I hadn't even said anything about price or what he would charge, he could have made it worth his while, I wouldn't have even cared.

Anyway I said ok and walked out holding back the urge to tell him what I thought of his failing business. It blows me away when people simply turn work away, I'm in my 30's and own multiple bikes, have bought tires from him in the past, and now he has pretty much turned me off ever getting anything from him ever again. Over a lifetime of bikes for myself and my son that could add up to a decent amount of change, not to mention the people I will tell to not set foot in this place. In the end I thought "What a prick" I'll just break out the tire irons and change the rubber myself I guess, and hope the tires are within a decent balance. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
nope. i hate assholes like that. especially guys that dont want to lift a finger to help you until you pull out a wad of cash, then they are all on their p's and q's.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
nope. i hate assholes like that. especially guys that dont want to lift a finger to help you until you pull out a wad of cash, then they are all on their p's and q's.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If I was in my 30s I'd have felt embarrassed bringing tires to someone to change for me. It only takes a couple of minutes to change a tire. Especially a tubeless.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If I was in my 30s I'd have felt embarrassed bringing tires to someone to change for me. It only takes a couple of minutes to change a tire. Especially a tubeless.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am fortunate that I have friends with equipment who will change and balance for me. Same shops won't always do it for walk-ins off the street, it is a liability issue - if there is a defect in the tire and you crash, they don't want to be entangled in the lawsuit that may follow.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am fortunate that I have friends with equipment who will change and balance for me. Same shops won't always do it for walk-ins off the street, it is a liability issue - if there is a defect in the tire and you crash, they don't want to be entangled in the lawsuit that may follow.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

Guess it depends on what your time is worth, I work during the day, and when I get home at night I like to spend it with my wife and son, so paying someone $35-$50 to change tires that might eat up 30min to an hour of my time is well worth it to me.

In this case though I think I am just going to buy a balancer say Fuck it and do them myself from now on. I'll have to change the rear on my Harley sometime this spring anyway so between the three tires it will pay for the balancer. I just hate wrestling with tire irons.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Guess it depends on what your time is worth, I work during the day, and when I get home at night I like to spend it with my wife and son, so paying someone $35-$50 to change tires that might eat up 30min to an hour of my time is well worth it to me.

In this case though I think I am just going to buy a balancer say Fuck it and do them myself from now on. I'll have to change the rear on my Harley sometime this spring anyway so between the three tires it will pay for the balancer. I just hate wrestling with tire irons.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ha!
Done it as a 14 year old with 120 MC rubbers...wouldn't do a 180 road tire though. I bet Youtube has some DIY vids.
Then again, a 90/90 road tire with tube- rather pay someone;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ha!
Done it as a 14 year old with 120 MC rubbers...wouldn't do a 180 road tire though. I bet Youtube has some DIY vids.
Then again, a 90/90 road tire with tube- rather pay someone;)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
There is small shop near me and he struggles to make a buck. He sell tires. What he doesn't have he can find for you. You buy tires from him and its $20 to mount a pair (front and rear). Bring tires in for him to mount and its $100 a pair. I can't say I lame the guy. He's trying to make a buck and and you go around him and then want him to do the dirty work.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
There is small shop near me and he struggles to make a buck. He sell tires. What he doesn't have he can find for you. You buy tires from him and its $20 to mount a pair (front and rear). Bring tires in for him to mount and its $100 a pair. I can't say I lame the guy. He's trying to make a buck and and you go around him and then want him to do the dirty work.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
not an uncommon practice. lots of dealers will mount tires they sell for free, but charge a premium if you bring your own tires. some guys (usually long-time shops) won't touch parts they don't sell.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
not an uncommon practice. lots of dealers will mount tires they sell for free, but charge a premium if you bring your own tires. some guys (usually long-time shops) won't touch parts they don't sell.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by ukTony

pop them through here and il slot them on free of charge .
Haha, thanks for the offer Tony, wouldn't cost me much more than what I paid for the bike to ship them : )

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by ukTony

pop them through here and il slot them on free of charge .
Haha, thanks for the offer Tony, wouldn't cost me much more than what I paid for the bike to ship them : )

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You were most likely one of 20 people that walked into that shop that week for the exact same reason. You don't see that but that shop owner does. The small mom & pop MC shops are dieing a slow death. They survive on selling things like tires and maintenance items with services. So if you think this guy is an A-hole, then maybe you should spend a 70 hour work week with the owner and see if you could pay your own monthly expenses on the amount of profit he took in for the week.. I can well understand the owners attitude when you have some gub-ber walk in off the street with a tire to mount for a $20 dollar fee.

I'd almost bet a month's salary you would end up being a bigger A-hole if you did a one-week internship with that shop. That small shop cannot survive without people spending money there.

Just today, I ordered 60 dollars in parts with a local shop that I know I could have saved 20 dollars if I had ordered them on line. I'm not rich but I do understand business.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts