Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/05/17/black-falcon-is-this-a-motorcycle/#comments

"Hate"may be too strong a word, perhaps.

Question raised in this article is whether the buyer will ever ride the bike... of course he/she won't. Having worked the PR machine to the Nth degree, anyone with enough cash to buy a Falcon product (I very carefully refused to refer to it as a motorcycle), is buying an investment (Jay Leno excepted... Malcolm Forbes is long dead).

All I see is a conventionally "chopperized" Vincent - replace the English motor with something from S&S, and what do you have? My understanding is that suspension (front primarily, but also rear) was the weak link in these machines. Doesn't look like either end has been addressed... still wearing the same obsolete (but admittedly handsome) girder forks.

I love Vincents, but this leaves me colder than my ex-wife.
Very cynical Judey really wants to tell Ian what-his-name, in his ghey (but fashionable, in an understated unfashionable way) flannel shirt to "Go fuck himself"... but we all remember that last episode, no?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've never been a huge Vincent fan and that one leaves me cold. Looking at it I'm trying to figure what were they trying to achieve? The handlebars look like its trying to be an old board tracker. Meggas on a Vincent? All I could really see was a total waste of two GPs and matchboxes.

When I see Jewel, art and exquisite in a paragraph about a motorcyle I get nervous.

P.S. Judey. At the time those Vincent girders were way ahead of any of the telescopic forks. When they are good (as opposed to ignored for 50 years) they are great.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've never been a huge Vincent fan and that one leaves me cold. Looking at it I'm trying to figure what were they trying to achieve? The handlebars look like its trying to be an old board tracker. Meggas on a Vincent? All I could really see was a total waste of two GPs and matchboxes.

When I see Jewel, art and exquisite in a paragraph about a motorcyle I get nervous.

P.S. Judey. At the time those Vincent girders were way ahead of any of the telescopic forks. When they are good (as opposed to ignored for 50 years) they are great.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would like the owner to ride the shit out of it, let it break (hopefully not in a manner causing injury or worse) then bringing it back and going, "hey, your handy work is not good enough".

I would support cynical Judey voicing his opinion to Ian whats his face.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would like the owner to ride the shit out of it, let it break (hopefully not in a manner causing injury or worse) then bringing it back and going, "hey, your handy work is not good enough".

I would support cynical Judey voicing his opinion to Ian whats his face.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Thank you. No. you're not.

Yeah, hate is perhaps too strong a word, but certainly highly ambivalent. Thanks for sharing the Kneeslider piece. Nice to know it's not just me.

Not to keep grinding this silly "Project Badger" axe, but the Badger was at least partially inspired as a backlash towards the whole over wrought, art bike thing. I mean I like pretty stuff as much as, if not more so then the next guy. But SIX guys spending a YEAR to build a bike? Gimme a fucking break.

Don't get me wrong. You gotta at least respect his chops. And to be honest, speaking only for myself, there is an element of envy. I mean Je*us, where does the money come from? Does he sell the things for a quarter mil? If he does good for him.

Now I'm certainly not going to compare the Badger with his Kestrel or the Black, but one thing I know:

This bike WILL get ridden!

Cheers,
Leo

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Thank you. No. you're not.

Yeah, hate is perhaps too strong a word, but certainly highly ambivalent. Thanks for sharing the Kneeslider piece. Nice to know it's not just me.

Not to keep grinding this silly "Project Badger" axe, but the Badger was at least partially inspired as a backlash towards the whole over wrought, art bike thing. I mean I like pretty stuff as much as, if not more so then the next guy. But SIX guys spending a YEAR to build a bike? Gimme a fucking break.

Don't get me wrong. You gotta at least respect his chops. And to be honest, speaking only for myself, there is an element of envy. I mean Je*us, where does the money come from? Does he sell the things for a quarter mil? If he does good for him.

Now I'm certainly not going to compare the Badger with his Kestrel or the Black, but one thing I know:

This bike WILL get ridden!

Cheers,
Leo

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
If I could afford it I would buy one, ride the snot out of it and tell everyone what was good or bad, then re-build it to suit what I want to do.
I've ridden Vincents in the past and quite like them (other peoples, never had enough money as a bike mechanic :()
Really. it's just another old motorbike
I don't treat any bike with the 'respect' other people think they deserve, it's there as a 'toy' ride it hard and put up wet, fix it when it breaks.
I doubt there are any Vincents out there with the original Tuffnol idler timing gears or the heavy bronze ones, probably all have the anodised Dural gear by now (unless someone has come up with an engineered plastic gear?)

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
If I could afford it I would buy one, ride the snot out of it and tell everyone what was good or bad, then re-build it to suit what I want to do.
I've ridden Vincents in the past and quite like them (other peoples, never had enough money as a bike mechanic :()
Really. it's just another old motorbike
I don't treat any bike with the 'respect' other people think they deserve, it's there as a 'toy' ride it hard and put up wet, fix it when it breaks.
I doubt there are any Vincents out there with the original Tuffnol idler timing gears or the heavy bronze ones, probably all have the anodised Dural gear by now (unless someone has come up with an engineered plastic gear?)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'll never own one but I'm not a cynical asshole so I don't find enough reason to hate someone else's handiwork. Their bikes do look exquisite in photos (the closest I'll probably ever get to one) and I can't fault a craftsmen for taking a more artisan approach to building a motorcycle. Life is not black and white. It doesn't always have to be about performance. Motorcycles can easily transcend from transportation into art. It certainly beats the gaudy crap that comes out of OCC.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'll never own one but I'm not a cynical asshole so I don't find enough reason to hate someone else's handiwork. Their bikes do look exquisite in photos (the closest I'll probably ever get to one) and I can't fault a craftsmen for taking a more artisan approach to building a motorcycle. Life is not black and white. It doesn't always have to be about performance. Motorcycles can easily transcend from transportation into art. It certainly beats the gaudy crap that comes out of OCC.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Aren't Egli Vincent clones still available out of France?

http://www.godet-motorcycles.com/

If I was in the market for a "boutique <you like espresso, i make it back there myself with a little lemon twist, it's good.> motorcycle" I'd splash out for an Egli clone first. Better still I wonder if I could get a Britten for $250K? Or for a tenth of that, I could get Erik Buell to build me a super bike and help him give a virtual middle finger to the HD "businessmen" that shafted him....

Jim

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Aren't Egli Vincent clones still available out of France?

http://www.godet-motorcycles.com/

If I was in the market for a "boutique <you like espresso, i make it back there myself with a little lemon twist, it's good.> motorcycle" I'd splash out for an Egli clone first. Better still I wonder if I could get a Britten for $250K? Or for a tenth of that, I could get Erik Buell to build me a super bike and help him give a virtual middle finger to the HD "businessmen" that shafted him....

Jim

·
Registered
745 Posts
quote:Originally posted by crazypj I doubt there are any Vincents out there with the original Tuffnol idler timing gears or the heavy bronze ones, probably all have the anodised Dural gear by now (unless someone has come up with an engineered plastic gear?)
what?

and judey "My understanding is that suspension (front primarily, but also rear) was the weak link in these machines."

what are you trying to compare it to? the weak link in a vincent is the new variety of owner that drops half a mortgage on a 60 year old bike and wants a honda hawk riding experience.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts