Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
quote:Originally posted by crazypj I doubt there are any Vincents out there with the original Tuffnol idler timing gears or the heavy bronze ones, probably all have the anodised Dural gear by now (unless someone has come up with an engineered plastic gear?)
what?

and judey "My understanding is that suspension (front primarily, but also rear) was the weak link in these machines."

what are you trying to compare it to? the weak link in a vincent is the new variety of owner that drops half a mortgage on a 60 year old bike and wants a honda hawk riding experience.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

a pro britten will run you a mil plus....there were only 10 made.

tex
Okay this link is 6 years old but you never know when the next millionaire will have a yard sale these days:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/08/07/britten-for-sale/

And if not, wasn't John thinking about eventually developing a street bike? I wonder how much of his tooling and team you could get involved for a quarter million?

Also for that $250K, I could pick up a week's worth of tasty Bimotas...

Lots of options is all I'm saying...

Jim

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

a pro britten will run you a mil plus....there were only 10 made.

tex
Okay this link is 6 years old but you never know when the next millionaire will have a yard sale these days:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/08/07/britten-for-sale/

And if not, wasn't John thinking about eventually developing a street bike? I wonder how much of his tooling and team you could get involved for a quarter million?

Also for that $250K, I could pick up a week's worth of tasty Bimotas...

Lots of options is all I'm saying...

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with freedomgli's post above. I've been lurking here for years, literally, but lately I've been losing my desire to read anything on this site becuase everyone is so savagely opinionated. Don't get me wrong, everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, but god damn this site is the worst for it. It's not even about this particular post or one particular member, it's everything. Reading all the bullshit and seeing the lack of respect for anything at all is beginning to drive me crazy. I realize this post is completely useless because I don't contribute to the forum, no one knows who I am and no one cares, but maybe everyone will have a good time tearing it apart. I just finished a Norton Commando rebuild, and it's gorgeous to me, but I'd never in a million years post a picture of it here.

Sorry if I messed up this thread, I just felt compelled.

Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with freedomgli's post above. I've been lurking here for years, literally, but lately I've been losing my desire to read anything on this site becuase everyone is so savagely opinionated. Don't get me wrong, everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, but god damn this site is the worst for it. It's not even about this particular post or one particular member, it's everything. Reading all the bullshit and seeing the lack of respect for anything at all is beginning to drive me crazy. I realize this post is completely useless because I don't contribute to the forum, no one knows who I am and no one cares, but maybe everyone will have a good time tearing it apart. I just finished a Norton Commando rebuild, and it's gorgeous to me, but I'd never in a million years post a picture of it here.

Sorry if I messed up this thread, I just felt compelled.

Ben

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Compelled to do what?

Opinionated? Yeah that is what the Internet is for. It is like a giant bullhorn for assholes. For someone who hates opinions you sure gave us a mouthful of yours.

You want respect? Pay a hooker to call you daddy. IMHO there is no such thing as respect over the Internet, there is only a stream of written words without easily understood inflection and a bunch of faceless people. In my world respect is something earned in real life, not handed out over a message board and is one ofthe reasons we encourage real life meetups. I have always said, this board gets way funnier once you meet a bunch of us in real life, ESP if that meetup is a pit at mid-o.

The Internet is an entertainment medium, first and foremost. If you learn something, hey that is a great bonus.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Compelled to do what?

Opinionated? Yeah that is what the Internet is for. It is like a giant bullhorn for assholes. For someone who hates opinions you sure gave us a mouthful of yours.

You want respect? Pay a hooker to call you daddy. IMHO there is no such thing as respect over the Internet, there is only a stream of written words without easily understood inflection and a bunch of faceless people. In my world respect is something earned in real life, not handed out over a message board and is one ofthe reasons we encourage real life meetups. I have always said, this board gets way funnier once you meet a bunch of us in real life, ESP if that meetup is a pit at mid-o.

The Internet is an entertainment medium, first and foremost. If you learn something, hey that is a great bonus.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
ben,

glad you like your new bike. if people post things up to the internet it is gonna get critiqued. whether you know it or not, when you drive your commando somewhere and park it, it is being critiqued by anyone that looks at it....difference there is you probably wouldn't know about it (hear the comments...positive or negative).

the savage opinions have increased proportionately to the volume of members (you can thank caferacer TV for that). not pulling seniority here (because i haven't been here as long as others.....2004 for me), but i remember when it was a little over 200 people on this board, and i knew 50% of them personally. it was a lot of fun then (still is now), but you want to talk savage.....whew, some of those threads were brutal.

stay and contribute, or go back to lurking....doesn't matter to me. but anyone who joins here and starts a thread or comments on a thread is giving their opinion. stupidity pays a price at CR.net. internet blowjobs are handed out at DTT,

cheers,

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
ben,

glad you like your new bike. if people post things up to the internet it is gonna get critiqued. whether you know it or not, when you drive your commando somewhere and park it, it is being critiqued by anyone that looks at it....difference there is you probably wouldn't know about it (hear the comments...positive or negative).

the savage opinions have increased proportionately to the volume of members (you can thank caferacer TV for that). not pulling seniority here (because i haven't been here as long as others.....2004 for me), but i remember when it was a little over 200 people on this board, and i knew 50% of them personally. it was a lot of fun then (still is now), but you want to talk savage.....whew, some of those threads were brutal.

stay and contribute, or go back to lurking....doesn't matter to me. but anyone who joins here and starts a thread or comments on a thread is giving their opinion. stupidity pays a price at CR.net. internet blowjobs are handed out at DTT,

cheers,

tex

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
DubleR.....you got something on your nose.....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
DubleR.....you got something on your nose.....

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I think what bothers me most is all the hype. I'm not complaining about the bikes; photos indicate he's extraordinarily good at what he does. The media worship he receives is puzzling.

It's just another overpriced chopper to me.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think what bothers me most is all the hype. I'm not complaining about the bikes; photos indicate he's extraordinarily good at what he does. The media worship he receives is puzzling.

It's just another overpriced chopper to me.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

...stupidity pays a price at CR.net. internet blowjobs are handed out at DTT,

cheers,

tex
Stupidity and perceived stupidity both pay a price. Some things are plain stupid, and some things only seem stupid to some people; there's clearly some subjectivity there. That analysis of DTT is appropriate.

Swagger, you're killing me!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts