Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I saw those....[:0] Unfortunately there isnt much you can do if he is truly having the ergonomic problems he described. If I find and build one, its gonna be midcontrols and dirtbike bars.

Why oh why didn't they drill and tap the plates?

I would have run the tubes all the way to the spine. Of course I would have also turned little inserts and pressed into the tubes as alignment/strengthening aids and made liberal use of gusseting on the outside of the tubes. There is a tube butt joint in there someplace just waiting to surface. The angle iron continues to baffle. Its setup like a little L shaped spring in the frame. Gives new meaning to the old saying "hinged in the middle" eh?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And if you can justify cutting it off, if you have a plan, then do it. But usually its Step 1: buy cheapest old Honda Step 2: remove everything needed to make it legal Step 3: cut off rear of frame and immediately throw it in the trashcan Step 4: take away trash Step 5: realise you have to have stuff like you took off to be legal Step 6: visit dumpster to try to find piece of frame, find old bedrail instead Step 7: incorporate bed rail into your "custom" for street cred by welding it on with a car battery and jumper cables.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And if you can justify cutting it off, if you have a plan, then do it. But usually its Step 1: buy cheapest old Honda Step 2: remove everything needed to make it legal Step 3: cut off rear of frame and immediately throw it in the trashcan Step 4: take away trash Step 5: realise you have to have stuff like you took off to be legal Step 6: visit dumpster to try to find piece of frame, find old bedrail instead Step 7: incorporate bed rail into your "custom" for street cred by welding it on with a car battery and jumper cables.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It is definitely the cut first and design later mentality there. As for the "ergonomic issues", even if they are real, that is not a very good way to hang them back there. Even if you wanted to do the flat plate idea, at least make it a thin plate with some ribs. Hell, they could have even welded on a piece of rectangular tube instead of the chunk of battleship armor they found. I probably would have added tubes like you see on a lot of passenger pegs...kinda like the passenger pegs they cut off.

I would be really interested to see the actual before and after weight. I would actually guess that the frame got heavier. I'm sure they lost weight overall because of the luggage rack, bars, and seat, but beyond that, it looks like they had a lot of negative progress.

But as you said Raven, the point wasn't to rag on this one "build". And I agree that you need a clear goal, clear plan, and enough design knowledge to come up with a well laid out frame before you start cutting things off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It is definitely the cut first and design later mentality there. As for the "ergonomic issues", even if they are real, that is not a very good way to hang them back there. Even if you wanted to do the flat plate idea, at least make it a thin plate with some ribs. Hell, they could have even welded on a piece of rectangular tube instead of the chunk of battleship armor they found. I probably would have added tubes like you see on a lot of passenger pegs...kinda like the passenger pegs they cut off.

I would be really interested to see the actual before and after weight. I would actually guess that the frame got heavier. I'm sure they lost weight overall because of the luggage rack, bars, and seat, but beyond that, it looks like they had a lot of negative progress.

But as you said Raven, the point wasn't to rag on this one "build". And I agree that you need a clear goal, clear plan, and enough design knowledge to come up with a well laid out frame before you start cutting things off.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

this is why the cafe racer trend and most of the people who "build" them suck.
+ googolplex
I've given up explaining to people why what they are doing is dangerous
If it was just for them it wouldn't bother me, but, they always sell the crap to some idiot
BTW, has anyone posted on SOHC4?
I'm going to do it :D

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

this is why the cafe racer trend and most of the people who "build" them suck.
+ googolplex
I've given up explaining to people why what they are doing is dangerous
If it was just for them it wouldn't bother me, but, they always sell the crap to some idiot
BTW, has anyone posted on SOHC4?
I'm going to do it :D

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did you see we got a mention in the thread? :D

I bet as soon as you post they ban Geet.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Did you see we got a mention in the thread? :D

I bet as soon as you post they ban Geet.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
You can't save everyone. I am alive today because I suffered at the hands of some stupid previous owners and lived to tell the tale and am wiser for it. Some won't be so lucky and some will be 10 times luckier.

Here is the fundamental problem I have with the current cafe attitude - if you don't use the absolute most dick sucking language to point out their flaws, the new crop of Internet hero wannabes is going to take a defensive stance and call you an asshole or a troll or hater or some other not nice name. From that resistance to criticism people don't grow, they don't improve, they become validation junkies always searching for their next Internet fix. They only way they are really ever going to learn is to fail in real life, possibly hurt themselves. It is the way I learned before an Internet and maybe it is the way it needs to happen again.

In the mean time I am happy to call this island of reality in an otherwise ocean of diarrhea, and the comically blowhard character of Geeto67 home.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
You can't save everyone. I am alive today because I suffered at the hands of some stupid previous owners and lived to tell the tale and am wiser for it. Some won't be so lucky and some will be 10 times luckier.

Here is the fundamental problem I have with the current cafe attitude - if you don't use the absolute most dick sucking language to point out their flaws, the new crop of Internet hero wannabes is going to take a defensive stance and call you an asshole or a troll or hater or some other not nice name. From that resistance to criticism people don't grow, they don't improve, they become validation junkies always searching for their next Internet fix. They only way they are really ever going to learn is to fail in real life, possibly hurt themselves. It is the way I learned before an Internet and maybe it is the way it needs to happen again.

In the mean time I am happy to call this island of reality in an otherwise ocean of diarrhea, and the comically blowhard character of Geeto67 home.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yup. Kinda like saying ok I read on a forum it hurts when you fall off a bike is alot different than laying in the weeds with your knee all hacked up and bleeding thinking "damn it HURTS when you fall off one of these things!"

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yup. Kinda like saying ok I read on a forum it hurts when you fall off a bike is alot different than laying in the weeds with your knee all hacked up and bleeding thinking "damn it HURTS when you fall off one of these things!"

·
Registered
100 Posts
Raven, I would like to point out that you were incorrect about the angle iron. I actually believe it is just a flat piece of steel welded flat to the ends of the tubes. I'm guessing angle iron was deemed too heavy for a high performance application.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Raven, I would like to point out that you were incorrect about the angle iron. I actually believe it is just a flat piece of steel welded flat to the ends of the tubes. I'm guessing angle iron was deemed too heavy for a high performance application.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Sitting at the lights a little GT125 suzi pulls next to me. I freak out. I love those things, as I had the 185. He's doing the 'hug a tree while shitting,' dance via clubmans when I notice that the single down tube on the frame betweent he exhasts is cut. Not cracked. Split into two.

PULL OVER.

"what?"

PLEASE PULL OVER.

"Why?"

YOUR FRAME IS FUCKED. BAD.

Pulls over. "What?"

Frame. Fucked. Do not ride.

"What ever, who the fuck are you anyway?"

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Sitting at the lights a little GT125 suzi pulls next to me. I freak out. I love those things, as I had the 185. He's doing the 'hug a tree while shitting,' dance via clubmans when I notice that the single down tube on the frame betweent he exhasts is cut. Not cracked. Split into two.

PULL OVER.

"what?"

PLEASE PULL OVER.

"Why?"

YOUR FRAME IS FUCKED. BAD.

Pulls over. "What?"

Frame. Fucked. Do not ride.

"What ever, who the fuck are you anyway?"

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
At that point did you slap him across the face with your cock and say "i'm big bad bob dog motherfucker and don't you forget it!!!!!"

21 - 40 of 47 Posts