Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself after stumbling upon the site. 40 yr old autobody tech, 3M installer, from Medicine Hat, who caught the the "bike build bug" late in life, (30's). I've had a few bikes throughout, but mostly newer, untouched examples except for regular services. Bought a '79 GS1000 off a co-worker 3 yrs back and made a very tame cafe out of it, (meaning mostly looks since the engine was good). Took the bike to a dealership to look at an old car and ended up trading it straight across for a pre-seventies land whale. Missed the bike badly after about a month. Fast forward to this summer, went to look at a sport touring bike for a buddy and ended up walking away with an '81 XS1100 Standard. It had sat since '09, (beside his garage with a decayed tarp on it), but had minimal rust, clean title and a set of keys. $200 later, I had it home. Put in a new battery, triple cleaned the carbs, and she fired right up. Spent two weeks going through the mechanicals, cleaned it up, and rode it for about a month. Did the tacky cafe build, (bump seat, low bars, flashy paint), and drove it another month. Realized I'd stumbled onto a really nice bike and now with winter upon me, have decided to quit pissing around and build it properly. Currently have installed a new loop, moved all the electronics to under the seat, ordered countless parts, and am slowly building it to a higher standard. Although large for a cafe inspired build, she does have the internals to make this quite the beast.
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/garagamus/cafe_zps99d35743.jpg
The GS1000
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/garagamus/DSCF0214_zpsb4609664.jpg
The XS1100
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/garagamus/DSCF2265_zps77ad1de2.jpg
Summer
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p787/garagamus/DSCF2356_zps1f480918.jpg
Now

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Few things as a fellow XS11 owner and modder.

You are approaching the project in a way that does not really fit with this sight. Not wrong....just not what we strive for. We strive for performance above all else.

With your pods, clubmans w/o rearsets, etc you have created something that performs worse. If looks is really what you are after then I recommend you head over to Do the ton.

If you are after a real beast of a machine then stick around. Check out Charlies xs11 build.

Here is what you are battling with the "excess" 11. Weight, girth, shaft drive, weight, oh and did I mention weight?

These bad boys are fast but heavy. They are also restricted by a few design choices and flaws.

You are losing HP to the rear wheel with that shaft. You are also going to experience shaft jacking. This and its massive weight prevented the XS from really being the superbike to compete with the Cb 900 and 1100 F series. Really was better as a cruiser. You can do things to make it a better superbike but it takes a lot of changes.

Chain conversion will drop a ton of weight and increase your hp to the rear wheel. More on that below. Pods are bad a idea but stacks can be jetted to work. Drop as much weight as you can. This includes the front and rear wheel as they weigh a shit ton. You can do a modern front end swap but it takes work.

Chain drive swap:
Charlie did it, I am doing it, others have done it. Requires machining a new middle drive and finding a swingarm that works. Issues you will run into besides finding someone to machine the drive: You will have to hog out a bit of the case to get a proper middle drive sprocket to fit. You will also need to find a swingarm that doesnt lift your bike to high off the ground.

Charlie's swingarm made the bike a few inches longer than stock...not sure what it did to his trail numbers.

Other problems with the XS. The dog teeth on the 2nd gear in the tranny slip and cause lock up or slipping in second gear. I would check these while you have the time. You dont need to split the case, there is a way to check that I can link to you if you are interested.

All of these things make the XS a tough bike to get performance out of. I think it can be done but it takes access to a machine shop and a lot of time. Sadly even after all of these mods I doubt it will perform or handle like my old 900 F. But i like a challenge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood on the clubmans, the pic was the summer and I had just tried them...horrible without rearsets. The PO had superbike bars that were comfy, but too high, probably go with something closer with less rise, standard tank has suffered badly from the clubmans, as well as my back. The pods, (XS not Emgo's ), are ok and what the PO had on it, still looking for an original box since it sounds like its easier to tune with better power. Have been on the XS11.com site a lot, and as far as I can tell, there aren't a lot of engine mods to make it produce a heck of a lot more. 2nd gear is fine, has had the dremmel fix to it. I get that the site is more performance oriented, and am quite aware that stuff I've tried probably hinders said performance, I'm thick skinned enough to learn from others, hence why the bike is on a stand and not in a paint booth. I'm here to lurk and learn, with the occasional ass backward question before I screw something up.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You have done your homework...puts you 10 steps ahead of most beginners. Xs11 is a great site and yeah engine mods are waste of time. New coils, wire, ignition is about your best bet.

The mikes xs are better pods but still not K&N. I would look into stacks with a uni foam filter or like you said the original box.

This site is great for learning what makes a bike perform better than stock. If you artent interested in a chain mod then your best bet is New suspension, electronics, weight loss, stacks, and proper ergonimocs. Wont be the best handling bike ever but will be better than stock without a ton spent.

If you are interested in some serious mods then tag along and hopefully by spring I will have a middle drive that works better than its predecessors.

Oh and some modern carbs will help with tunabilty. xs has a list of carb banks that bolt right up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts