Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
dont bead blast them, soda blast them. glass beads not good for engine internals. if you pull the oil pump out, your only a few bolts til you get to the crank. so might was well if youre that far.

jc

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
listen to joe.. you could do half the job now only to realize that you may possibly be taking it apart a month or so later after a seal gives way or something else worse goes wrong.

take your time, do it right and have fun!!! dude we build our race motors in the dark while we are half in the bag... ask tim t. he'll tell ya how it's done!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
soda blast....sure if you can find someone to do it for you.

i have beadblasted a lot of cases before. all you need to do is clean it in a clean parts washer afterwards. that's why i normally had 2 parts washers. one was for heavy cleaning, and one was for detail, or final assembly work.

tex

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Nothing special that you wouldn't already have for removing the top end. Splitting the cases really involves no more than removing about 10 more bolts than you would have already removed to get the cylinders and oil pump off. You'll have to (should) install new oil seals but that doesn't require anything more special than a large socket to put them in place.

And unlike Tex's advice. You don't need fancy parts washers either. As long as you have a dishwasher.

Craig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I'm really leaning towards splitting the cases, but I am working on other things. Got some carbs on the way, got the clutch cover and top engine mount I needed (how did people do this before ebay??) started stripping the frame for paint, and am moving on to all the little stuff. Here are some update pics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Where is the best place to order a complete gasket kit with seals to re-build the motor. I got my clynders back from the machine shop, got my carbs and clutch cover, ready to go on the motor.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
For the seals I've always gone to the Honda dealer. And Dennis Kirk for the gasket set. Though the dealer should be able to get you aftermarket gasket sets as well.

Craig

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i use the vesrah kit available at any parts unlimited retailer...basically any bike shop.

tex

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks, I am going to order them tomorrow. I am going to get on the painting/polishing this week and week end, and try to start re-assembling stuff before I get all the motor parts in my hands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What can I do about this, is there a replacement part? or rechrome it?

The frame is ready to paint

A couple of painted parts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have just found the inspiration for my re-construction. Does anyone know what that seat is, or do you think is was hand made? I will probably go with smaller blinkers, but I think this is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
where'd their fork dust seals go? shiny for sure, i agree with the turn sigs, but that gauge cluster is huge too. i do like the finned covers, nice touch.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts