Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’d previously been working on GS850s/CB750s but was searching for a CB900F and found nothing. The guy I buy bikes from had this CB900c basket case for $450, he threw in enough parts to almost build a second bike. Didn’t know much about them at the time but thought I’d give a try at a two seater for not too long trips.

Did everything but the front fork rebuild (trade on parts with a local shop) and my wife helped sew the seat.

Switched the mirror (was from another bike) to 2 bar ends so I could actually see, and a larger rear reservoir. Recently made a Milwaukee/Green Bay/Madison loop and want a little more comfort, so upgrading shocks and making a better padded second seat for longer rides. Nothing is perfect, I just try and learn more to make the current build better than the last.

A few months later the same guy sold me a pretty good condition CB900F and a VF700F.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
At first I thought WTF but the more I look at it the more I like the cheesy 70s chopper elements of the goofy headlight and the skinny tail.

Probably the best thing anyone has done with one of these - still not sure if that's a compliment though!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
its fucking weird, but if you give it rearsets and an inner rear fender, it's not too bad... and its relatively safe too.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
by god i shiver me limbers i thought double overhead hairlips ws back,he uses seats like that on his atc 80
so welcome to the assylum ,so sorry about your cleft bunghole
but the styling is very well done even with the assthetic clinically proven seat shape

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know what? when I’m building stuff your first thought is usually whats running though my head;) — but sometimes you gotta embrace your inner cheesiness. Mostly just having fun doing it.
At first I thought WTF but the more I look at it the more I like the cheesy 70s chopper elements of the goofy headlight and the skinny tail.

Probably the best thing anyone has done with one of these - still not sure if that's a compliment though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do, it’s currently what I’m riding to/from work and on the weekends.
But I get it why folks have issues with this model, Honda made a parts bike that was never gonna be a great platform to build on, especially if you’re looking to cafe or make a speed bike. I mainly wanted to see what I could come up with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is, but no one who knows me has ever accused me of being normal. I’ll take it, and yea I do my best to make sure I ain’t gonna die on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL! that was pretty good! Next build I’ll prolly go with a different design. around town not too bad but catch too many hard bumps on the highway... thx man

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really want to like it :|

do you ride it?

I do, it’s currently what I’m riding to/from work and on the weekends.
But I get it why folks have issues with this model, Honda made a parts bike that was never gonna be a great platform to build on, especially if you’re looking to cafe or make a speed bike. I mainly wanted to see what I could come up with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL! that was pretty good! Next build I’ll prolly go with a different design. around town not too bad but catch too many hard bumps on the highway... thx man
by god i shiver me limbers i thought double overhead hairlips ws back,he uses seats like that on his atc 80
so welcome to the assylum ,so sorry about your cleft bunghole
but the styling is very well done even with the assthetic clinically proven seat shape

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is, but no one who knows me has ever accused me of being normal. I’ll take it, and yea I do my best to make sure I ain’t gonna die on it.
its fucking weird, but if you give it rearsets and an inner rear fender, it's not too bad... and its relatively safe too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts