Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just in case you are concerned there’s not much chance it’ll fall off with a spigot plug welded on one side then fully welded on the other.

038A01FE-04E3-4788-A0E2-5FF9F084BA9B.jpeg

67D45AAB-D1AD-4FAC-901D-C2065C49994B.jpeg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What are you welding with?

You know after careful consideration, I think you may as well make it a home built mono-shock, you've lost all of the reference points that made it a twin-shock.
As I explained I’ve lost nothing thus far as the rear shocks are still attached and nothing has moved due to the existing bracing still being there. The rear end is supporting nothing as it’s on a lift so it isn’t moving.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
;) and naturally you are building this to ride yourself, not to flog on some poor unsuspecting sole :cool:
... unlike some of the other "cafe builders" we seen pass through here.

Awesome good luck with your project.

It was a bunch of steel hoops welded together in a jig that was there to prevent shrinkage in the weld process from making it go all out of kilter,
once you took the angle grinder to the tail end of that structure, you have only a portion of the original frame left intact.
... and does your bike need to pass an MOT inspection?
For sure if you lived in some place like Germany your frame would be considered screwed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
If I were looking to sell it on I’d have put it back in standard condition and sold it for about a grand so basically making £700 when all said and done, I’m building for myself!

Looks like my time here is done. Pointless flogging a dead horse.

Already spoken to my local MOT place and he basically said he cannot remove bodywork to verify the integrity of the frame.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Ya that's kind of like it is here, you can put almost anything on the road just as long as you don't mind perjuring the system a little.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Looks like my time here is done. Pointless flogging a dead horse.

Already spoken to my local MOT place and he basically said he cannot remove bodywork to verify the integrity of the frame.
From this side of the camera it looks like hack it off and eye it up. The seat frame doesn't appear symmetrical or prepped to weld to the down tube, but the ground clamp is there ready to go. It is like watching "Chaos.....panic.....destruction". My work here is done.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
OMG you drilled a big round hole in the side of your round steel frame tube to make it stronger and you are electric welding through paint :|

"Already spoken to my local MOT place and he basically said he cannot remove bodywork to verify the integrity of the frame."
... and those guys have no clue what an ER-5 even looks like, so it will be no problem :cool:
Don't leave I want to see it on the road!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It wasn’t welded through paint you tit, it had been ground first! You can see the witness marks FFS.

I’ll come back when it’s done!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Haha. :)
You surprise me.

@Woodsman , just for you. A piccy showing the cleaned down tube.
A2C75501-41CB-4D87-8319-6592C606B7A3.jpeg

You guys must be perfect and have never had to ask advice or is this where all the keyboard warriors full of sage advice live?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
So you are ready to weld it now?
From one side only and right next to the carburetor.

lol Perfect! fuk no! just been buying, fixing and riding motorcycles way too long not to know better! You keep cutting off pieces and then asking for advice, I would tend to do it the other way around.
Curious, if you are guessing you need to strengthen the tube in cross section at that point, why did you not just drill a bolt sized clearance hole through it and weld a bolt in there?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
There will be gussets when it’s complete along with a cross brace under the tank. The subframe will go nowhere once it’s finished. You seem surprised that anyone would drill a frame but once a slug has been inserted and welded up the frame cannot collapse as there’s a great big effin solid bar through the middle.

Why am I still answering your questions!!!!!

I’ll still post my build on the ER5 forum and mig welding forum I have been frequenting for a long time as they seem to accept the fact that people can learn skills and carry out tasks that weren’t meant to be carried out on production motorcycles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
@woodsman, why do you assume the subframe tube wasn’t symmetrical. I can assure you it is and it doesn’t look like it at the rear as there is a slight kick up at the rear and perception from the one side is that the rear end is skewed, it isn’t, it looks the same from the opposite side.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I’d love to see your guys fabrication skills.....anyone here actually manage to fabricate a subframe section and make it out of one piece of tube on a pipe bender at the first attempt, but as an electrician who has worked with conduit for many years, it isn’t hard. That must be a transferable skill then.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
People can and do learn skills. A relative handful ever learn enough, can do the math and then have access to the jig to build or properly modify a frame. I have the mechanical skills but I don't chop frames for 2 reasons. I will never be as good at frame design as a single professional engineer let alone Mr Honda's team and where I live a cut frame is scrap.

On this thread I'm only commenting on the photos you post.
E8A18EA2-F0CE-4E2D-9294-2C8AC1925CCC.jpeg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Are you genuinely commenting on a discrepancy of a few mil?
Man I’d love to be as perfect and as good as you!
This is the first frame I have modified and I have no access to jigs etc, just my eye and an old conduit bender!
I guess I’ll never fit in here as I like to give others a chance and if someone makes an effort then it should be recognised. I’m not talking about the current trend of giving everyone who tries a fucking trophy as that doesn’t allow people to learn that you don’t always get your own way in life but you guys don’t give anyone a chance.

Anyway, as I said I’m outta here. I must have registered on twenty to thirty bike forums over the years and I’ve not experienced a place like this.

Cheers but it ain’t for me.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts