Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving out right now to go look at/buy what I believe is a real life, honest-to-God 1969 Sandcast Honda CB750. The old man has it listed all wrong on Craigslist, and even I overlooked it when it popped up the other day.

I spoke with him on the phone and he has owned it more or less since new. Got scared on it and parked it in his field and, "threw the key as far as he could..." There it has sat for the last approximately 20 years. He says he put about 40k miles on it driving it daily until he parked it. It is always interesting talking with old people.

You may remember that earlier last week I landed this amazing deal. So my amazing wife is a little skeptical about spending the money. Then I showed her this which recently sold on eBay: LINK. That is a '69 Frame and top engine case in presumably good condition which sold for $3k. Ouch. This stuff is nuts... At least she is a bit more supportive now. I convinced her to come with me. I don't really know why I did that! =)

Anyway. I am waiting for the old Sandcast guy to get out of his doctor's appointment and give me a call. He lives about an hour away.

Wish me luck. Pictures are sure to follow. I just brushed up on my Sandcast trivia, so I will be sure I know what I am looking for.

I'm nervous like a schoolboy.

peace and grease,
-fang

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
um. i hope you die.

i actually had a frined buy one a few years ago. 450 bucks. running. he was shitting himself waiting to pick it up. dude had no idea.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
$500 is an amazing deal? I think I'd call that a super-duper amazing, once in a fucking lifetime deal. You're using up a lot of mojo lately, Fang. Congratulations.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics, fresh out of my friend's pickup. Yes, it has the most awesome sissy bar in the universe! Click any pick to open a huge view in a new tab.

At this time I know it is a 1969 sandcast, but I am unsure of the month of manufacture. It has a great mid-sand cast VIN -- 1004858. This is a good number because the earlier xx4100-ish VINs have more one-off and wacky stuff on them. These more mid VINs are easier and cheaper for the restorer. You've gotta love that 4-foot sissy bar. Do you think the previous owner was compensating for something?

It looks worse from this side. The tank is all dinged up, the seat is trashed, the pipes are completely rotten, and the side covers are gone. At least I did get one nice emblem out of the deal!

Everything that can rust has surface rust on it, except for the pipes and seat, which are completely gone. You can count the nine bolts on the clutch cover. The motor has been sitting with the #4 spark plug missing for an unknown length of time - quite possibly for 20 years.

The wrinkles of a wrinkle tank.

The clocks.

I have always dreamed of building a proper cafe'd-out sandcast cb750. I also might try to turn this one into a CR750 race bike.(Since I just landed all that race stuff....) Or I'll just see what it can fetch when tossed to the wolves on eBay. Its a tough call.

I think that a little time with a pressure washer would do this one well. A quick sand blasting and powder coating would be even better. When it all comes down to it, it really is not all that far from being workable. All the important stuff is there and easily restorable. I'd love to build a hybrid motor with these sandcast cases and later model's guts plus one of my 900cc race-prepped top ends. The purists would just croak.

peace and grease.
-fang

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Uh, OK sorry, what the hell makes "sandcast" so special. I vaguely remember reading something about how rare and valuable they are. What gives, Mozart?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Fang,
With regards to your recent run of good luck bike purchase wise, I have to say, now you're really starting to piss me off!

I gotta start digging around more; you're proof, great shit is still out there, waiting to be unearthed.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers,
Leo

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
quote:Originally posted by trepanned23

Uh, OK sorry, what the hell makes "sandcast" so special. I vaguely remember reading something about how rare and valuable they are. What gives, Mozart?

cases/head were sandcast only the first year.

highly desirable for the collectors.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I normally check my local Craigs list every day, looking for moto bargains. I now have to step up to morning and night statewide checks,

Ya' lucky bastard.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The amazing CL ad read:
quote:
(title)1969 HONDA 750 PRE K 4CYL, 4 CARB - $500 (SPICEWOOD)

TOURED THE USA FOR 5 YEARS, FASTEST, BIKE IN AUSTIN FOR 5 YEARS, BACK AND FORTH TO WORK FOR 10 YEARS, SITTING 20 YEARS POOR CONDITION NOW. CAN DELIVER
CALL BJ xxx-xxx-xxxx
That's it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
quote:Originally posted by catboy

...you must be a great guy if good guys always win :)
yeah, except good guys always lose/finish last. so i guess that means fang is a total jerk (no offense, fang-we've never met, so i could be wrong. that's just where the evidence points.).

please, teach me to be as much of a jerk as you, so's i can find deals, too.

your ready disciple,
jarrett

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You can do massive CL searches if you go on crazedlist.org and can search whole states instead of just cities, regions of the US or even the entire US(which I don't suggest). It's a cool site.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did I mention that the bike came with an ultra rare, unstamped set of sandcast engine cases? Check out the pics. (Click for the big view):

Yep. There is no serial number on these cases. I am hoping that some desperate collector out there will snatch these up and pay top dollar because the motor looks great (even though it is rust-seized), and he will be able to stamp them himself with any sandcast number that he wants. Whoop.

A ton of these sandcast engines had serious cam chain issues. Cam chain tightener issues too. The chain would blow and destroy the engine cases. Honda responded with replacing as many of these as possible under warranty. Quite a few got replaced, but most of those ended up being replaced with die-cast engine cases instead of the sand cast ones. Of course this seemed to make everyone happy -- Honda could make the diecasts cases cheap, and the bike owners were happy because they were supposed to be better. Flash forward 40 years, and of the original 7414, there are now almost no sandcast engines left. Other than their rarity and fragility, there is almost nothing special about them. They used a different, more pure alloy for the sand castings, and crap like that, but ...whatever. It looks like this one either happened get its unstamped engine from the factory(unlikely), or it was replaced in 1969 before they ran out of spare sandcast motors. You know how they say 'rare' a lot on eBay? LOL.

Just the VIN. No one cares about this but looosers, geeks, and poseurs.

I sprayed the bike down with a little water and it started to clean up nicely.

We've been married for almost 11 years. Do you think she likes it!??

EDIT: I gave the sissy bar away to a friend today who has a splendid collection of raunchy sissy bars.

Peace and grease,
-fang

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Fang,

don't forget a lot of the sandcast engines also tossed their drive chains right through the back of the cases. It was the number 1 cause of replacement.

AS fast as these stockers are they make lousy cafe big bore engine bikes, the die cast cases are soooo much better.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Geeto, Why are the diecasts better performers? I have never heard this before.

As for Sandcast reliability, I understand that the cases are basically just as good as the diecast. The problem was never the cases. The problem was the cam chains and their tensioners.

Anyway, I am starting to have a plan form in my heart. I feel the faint warmth from the possibility of an impossible dream coming within my reach. Calling out to me, I can hear the distant whispers of a storm, whose echos I am accustomed to trying to ignore, only now building into a roaring tempest within my soul. There are three or four bikes I have always wanted to build. A proper Triton w/ alloy bits, an early 70's Ducati Imola Desmo, and a 1969 Sandcast Honda CR750 racer have always, ALWAYS been on that short list of dream build unobtanium. Building any of these machines would be WAY way beyond my pay grade, and I've dismissed them as distant, wild dreams which help keep me awake at night.

Amazingly, because of the two "once in a lifetime" purchases that fell in my lap over the last few days, that dream might just be within my reach.

So, if I decide to keep this bike, I think I might have to attempt to rebuild it around my nearly complete CR kit, supplemented with modern parts. It would require a certain laser-beam focus and clarity of intent as well as me liquidating all my other toys to pay for the few remaining bits and pieces, but a dream is a dream.

I already have most the parts to build one correctly, and over the years I have built a few of these 'over built' CB750 motors. I simply have never tried to put them in sandcast cases. Here's the standard build list:
Heavy duty studs, both for the cylinders and down below for the bearings
Heavy duty cam & primary chains + tensioners
Lightend, balanced crank + alternator
Falicon con rods
back-cut tranny
HD clutch and parts
possibly one of my 900cc cylinder/piston sets
A ported, reinforced head w/ race springs, titanium retainers, hot cam
etc.
Most of this stuff exceeds the quality and performance of the original CR kit bits, and I am not enough of a purist to put inferior parts into a motor, just for nostalgia's sake.

Even though I think I have most of these parts already sitting around the garage, there are still some parts missing from the CR kit I have been assembling -- like a magnesium dual leading shoe rear drum break. It would be super trick, super expansive, and super desirable! ...But not something that I really would not want on a machine which is regularly driven on the street, so I'll figure out how to get an aluminum one back there. I don't have a CR aluminum oil tank, but I know where I can get one. There are a few bits like that, but the bottom line is that if, and that is a BIG IF... If I decide to build this Sandcast into a streetable CR racer, I am sure I can do it. And it would be like a dream come true for me.

The bike, as it sits now is pure money for me. Sell it and I get a few grand. Easy, right? But I am self employed, and I get wads of cash all the time. I am paid irregularly, so I am used to being dirt poor, and then suddenly getting paid a few grand and I am totally loaded. What I am saying is that I don't think that the value of selling this thing and getting a sudden wad of cash is worth the truly rare value that it holds for me -- the potential of a dream project made real, a possibility which might never again casually present itself to me in my lifetime.

If I build this dream bike, it will be the fruit of more than a decade of carefully collecting parts. The idea of it almost seems larger than I am. That alone renders it all but irresistible.

I am sure you all will hear about my plans as they become more concrete. I still have a lot of thinking and a lot of processing to do. Sadly, it is most likely that I will end up just cleaning up this old sandcast bike and selling it on eBay. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I am somewhat drunk on the idea right now, and am still hammering out ideas. I'll sober up soon.

peace and grease,
-fang

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
If your going to build for value - your better off going classic and restoring the bike to stock condition - then you'll have a 15K bike. Building as a CR750 with a sandcast motor and frame - I'm not sure what the value would end up??? Besides - didn't you just score a half built project that could be used in a CR project??? If you ebay turn this bike your looking at 6K as it is now. I'm thinking it will take about 3K to mint this bike up as a classic - that's better money investment than the stock market. I commend you on your two recent finds - now that I said all that - your starting to pissing me off with these finds.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts