Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I love you guys. Oh Damn -- It's Wednesday. I only like you guys.

I think the complete bike would sell for about $2500. I am hoping to get about $4k parting it out. I want lots of money, because I like spending lots of money.

It is a kind of crazy argument to me -- If in the end of the day I wont have the bike, which is the better option? I sell it to one person for less money and make one person happy? Or I sell it to lots of people, make lots of money, and make lots of people happy? Either way, at the end of the day, I don't have the bike anymore. Seems like a no brainer to me.

peace and grease,
-fang

·
Registered
131 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

Decent points made on both sides of that argument. I personally am loathe to destroy (forgive me if my choice of words here offends) anything period, which is why I began my 350 project by buying it one piece at a time and assembled them back into a motorcycle. Cost more than a complete running CB350 this way, but I am comforted to know I am not damaging an otherwise restorable bike. I know CB350s are a dime a dozen, but I also know the frame, motor, etc I bought will not be going to the scrap pile, all because of me. The guy who's trying to restore his sand cast 750 does indeed need sand cast parts, and where does he think he's going to procure them? I suppose, since you are using die cast cases anyway, why bother using the sand cast frame? You won me over Fang, when you said "Shame on you..." to that dick. I love it when grown men say that to each other. Geeto, sawzall... Good shit.
I don't know, if people didn't break cars and bikes we'd have a lot more rats out on the road and less fully restored, correct cars and bikes. What I hate seeing is a really nice unrestored original get chopped and hot rodded by a hack.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Fang

Yoshimura = light, better balanced, more refined, more fragile, graceful. (But that's OK because it works together with Zen harmony.)

My personal building philosophy is more of a Yoshi one. I'm a fast, light and graceful kind of guy. I think I'm turning Japanese.
My favorite Street Fighter character always was Chun Li.

This has everything to do with sandcast CR750s!

Peace and grease.
-fang
dude, chun li is chinese. her name means "beautiful spring" (spring the season) in mandarin.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Fang

It is a kind of crazy argument to me -- If in the end of the day I wont have the bike, which is the better option? I sell it to one person for less money and make one person happy? Or I sell it to lots of people, make lots of money, and make lots of people happy? Either way, at the end of the day, I don't have the bike anymore. Seems like a no brainer to me.

peace and grease,
-fang
it is kind of a crazy argument because you are not the person who would perform a nut and bolt restoration on a cb750 sandcast. Nor are you the person who would buy a nut and bolt restored sandcast. If you were you could apprecite what you have and yes there were other ways to make the $4K and keep the bike whole. but you are not that ilk.

Let's be honest. A person looking for a sandcast to restore is going to look for:
1) completeness
2) documentation
3) condition

and award a value based on that. You had a complete one owner bike, worth a lot more than say just an engine and frame sandcast. Had you gone back to the original owner and pestered him for any of the old documentation on the bike or at least got him to sign an affidavit attesting to the story of the bike (ie he bought it new, used it, shoved it in the field) I could see you getting as much for the bike as you would for its individual parts because you have a provenance. But it takes work most people are not willing to do. Depending on how nice the bike was, there might still be traces of how the factory put it together (chalk marks, etc) that restorers get all CSI forensic on and go crazy for.

It is frustrating to be the restorer type and to search out restorable projects to see someone part out what you would be willing to pay for whole. it is even more frustrating when that person is unwilling to sell it whole.

some people in this hobby are they type of people that think the rare and unusual in this hobby should be presearved and the loss they take is their contribution to the preservation of the hobby. Once again I point out that you are not this person. Money and your bikes are all that matters and that is fine it is your stuff and really it is all just stuff in the end and not anything super life threateningly important.

as someone who used to restore corvettes in a pro shop I get where these guys are coming from and could see their logic. as someone who likes to use his stuff, not everything on this earth needs to be a museum piece and sometimes people get too wound up.

if you are the kind of person that cared whether one more sandcast existed then you would have made the effort to sell it whole instead of looking at your windfall as a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yeah. I do understand -- remember I used to be the service manager at a little Porsche place. I have a deep understand of anal. (Wow, that is the most ghey sounding thing I have said in a long time...) But you are right, I am not a restorer like these guys. You also need to understand that this bike was ROUGH! I tossed out some bait, and no one nibbled at buying it whole. I would have happily sold it whole. This very minute, I still would take down all the eBay auctions and sell it for $4k. But no one, and I mean NO ONE would do that. So here we are. Its not to late.

I may be a monster, but you made me that way. Not you, as in Geeto. You as in 'The Man' made me this way.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you don't know anal until you know cutting off weatherstripping date tags and plastic soldering them back on to repro weatherstriping. That is anal. Maybe it is a dutch thing. (jeez now we are both ghey).

I meant no offense by it, just saying how it is. yeah in this economy $4K for a rough but complete cast is hard to come up with. It won't surprise me if at the end of your auctions you are left over with a lot of little pieces unsold.

personally, it is your bike man and you can do what you wish with it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I love fucking with purists and restoration snobs. Fuck them and fuck anyone else who wants to piss and moan about it....veiled or otherwise. It's a fucking old bike, one that has problems, one that got recalled...for a fucking reason.

I hope you make a mint off what was once a pasture decoration. I hope you buy lots of cheap beer with the money.....and possibly some therapy.

Fucking the fucking fuckers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It is now Thursday, and I definitely love you guys. Happy Ghey Thursday. I stayed up late cleaning and taking pics of my parts. (Sounds ghey?) I will have the whole bike up on eBay in the morning.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
HA!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just to sort of wrap up the sandcast saga, I sold it all on eBay and made a killing. Parts went all over the world, and lots of guys paid too much for the bike, and then wrote back saying how freaking happy they are. I took the money and went to Disneyland. No, not really, but I could have.

We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

·
Registered
199 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pinche Chingadera

You can do massive CL searches if you go on crazedlist.org and can search whole states instead of just cities, regions of the US or even the entire US(which I don't suggest). It's a cool site.
Yo thanks for posting about crazedlist. I was doing the google shortcut keyword thing- example: cb750site:craigslist.org which would bring up all the craigslist sites but I'd have to go back and fourth through many pages, a lot of which are out of date. I assume crazedlist is a lot faster!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts