Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this lovely hitter, 1000s ie. The picture shows the damaged side, a tank dent is the worst of of the cosmetics. The Ohlins and exhaust are upgrades. The po has fucked up the signals/taillight with cheap led's. Overall it is a cheap fix cosmetically.

Put a battery in it, the dash cycles and immobilizer light goes out, hit the trigger...nothing. Put a meter on it found the solenoid was nfg, put in a good one and still nothing. The starter is good. Anyone no of inherent problems with the switch or applicable wiring?
View attachment DSC01378.jpg

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Sounds like the kind of bike for which an electrical schematic diagram does not exist,
but the original wiring diagram is still the best place to start and try to make all the critical stuff happy by that.

... if the solenoid is fried, there is a lot of other stuff that could be fried.

Side stand switch and pretty much every other safety device is highly suspect, they only put that stuff on there to aggravate the end customer anyway :|

·
Registered
34 Posts
I take it there is a fuse protecting the wiring to the solenoid? Have you checked it? Just to prove the engine will turn place a short across the solenoid to see if it'll turn over. No point trying if the engine is seized. It still won't start with a shorted solenoid as the safeties will still kill sparks and fuel feed.

A recent Bandit I picked up had a poor earth cable coming from the battery. The safeties had been linked out and whilst it would start as soon as it went into gear it would die. It was the smallest of cables and a connector was high resistance. Cut it off and replaced with another and it cured all ills. Yours is no Suzuki but the principles will be the same. My daughters boyfriends bike will turn over on the electric start or on the boot all day but if the side stand is left down it won't fire.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh to behold the sacred wiring diagram. Alas I have spent all my money on broken toys and now can't afford a real manual so I'm surfin' for freebies. It's easier to find info on vintage stuff then these.

Starter works, engine turns, fuel pump went bzzzzzt. Loose post on the solenoid, broken internally. No visual indication that anything has shorted.

Safety switches sounds like a good starting point. Kickstand sensor may be the culprit it took a bit of the impact in that area.

·
Registered
760 Posts
the ecu activates the solenoid, earthing out the negative side. sometimes the ecu circuits die. if the ecu is not making it go you can bypass it and run it from the switch. as long as the immo light is out that should be fine.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the ecu activates the solenoid, earthing out the negative side. sometimes the ecu circuits die. if the ecu is not making it go you can bypass it and run it from the switch. as long as the immo light is out that should be fine.
Salter has an 2001 S4 manual are they similar?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roll with it, is likely close enough for what you need :cool:
That's my thinking. Visually the 695 and the 1000 are the same under the tank. We are trying to buy another 695 which has more damage. It will give us some parts and a practice dummy.

It would be really handy if I could just download a copy of the Ducati section of Brad's brain, get the "how to get at it" knowledge as well as the solutions. These frames are a pain in the ass to work around. You need an electronics geek's brain, piano player length fingers with a bricklayer's grip.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Intense lighting and a heated garage floor helps immensely :cool: & holy ^&%$# it's cold outside today isn't it!
The perched Blue Jays are so puffed up they look like a softball with a head. Their bellies look like it's fur. -28 now and 4 tomorrow how the fuck is your body to make the seasonal adjustment when temperatures are swinging like that?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It appears to be the ecu or it's reaction to one of the sensors, any suggestions on testing components? Would using jpdiag or similar software make sorting the electrics quicker and easier?

·
Registered
760 Posts
if the ecu is getting an input from the start button, and nothing is coming out, it's the ecu. try earthing the earth side of the solenoid trigger. if it cranks, again most likely ecu.

is the neutral light on? it is an ecu input. as are the clutch and side stand switches, and starting is controlled by an ecu start logic circuit based on them all.

diagnostic tool will tell you what the ecu is seeing. that's what you need to know.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Ideally, you should buy another monster ;) one that runs. Absolutely nothing makes trouble-shooting easier then having two nearly identical bikes, you just swap parts until the problem appears on the other one, if the problem never goes to the other bike the problem is not with those parts :| is so easy.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ideally, you should buy another monster ;) one that runs. Absolutely nothing makes trouble-shooting easier then having two nearly identical bikes, you just swap parts until the problem appears on the other one, if the problem never goes to the other bike the problem is not with those parts :| is so easy.
Tried to buy another this week, hopefully something will come up soon.

Looking for parts I ran across this stuff. I almost feel for the price I should order to see what you actually get.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairing-Bodywork-Panel-Kit-Set-Fit-For-Ducati-Monster-696-796-1100-1100S-EVO/282386194903?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=ad8fca18dff94cdaa4f3127a1e9c1c88&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=12&mehot=co&sd=202695050643&itm=282386194903&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Tried to buy another this week, hopefully something will come up soon.

Looking for parts I ran across this stuff. I almost feel for the price I should order to see what you actually get.
Somebody's shattered dreams.
ya if you have a bike that fits it, and they are not the size of a plastic model that sits on your mantel :cool:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
get guzzidiag / iawdiag. buy the cable from lonelec - https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-3pin-Interface-Cable
Ordered the cable.

I just found a 2003 620 that has no keys or card. The bike is good but it'll likely go for parts bike price. My partner is quite comfortable, provided the proper software, with epoxy covered chips and reprogramming, a specialty in his past life. Do you know if the software will allow him to read and reprogram the immo chip so we could make keys?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts