Cafe Racer Forum banner

Another new member .

890 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ShaneW 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Just signed up. Names Shane if you couldnt derive that from my screenname. I've been looking into getting a bike for a little while, being set on a kawsaki. Well i finally got one monday. A 1980 KZ750 for $450 (im not going to go into a detailed description of the condition and all that mess. i think it was a great deal and im sticking to it). Its definitely not a cafe bike, and im not postive that ill go that route or not. I would love to convert it, I love the cafe's and what they represent. but I havent decided if thatd be the best for this particular bike. it is a project to be sure, but i'm dedicated to it and ill have her shining before long. Any helpful tips or websites would be great! Ill post a couple pics of it tomorrow morning. And keep everyone posted.Hope ya like her. ~Shane

1980 KZ750 project...

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Im pretty sure im not going stock with it but time will tell. It is the 4cyl. version. heres some pics.I have the carbs and they have been rebuilt.

Thats Jon's (member sn STC_guitarist) mine, and another friends Hawk.

1980 KZ750 project...

Edited by - ShaneW on Jan 30 2008 11:14:08 AM

#6 ·
The previous owener was an idiot and painted the entire bike with very cheap paint. including the engine. So before the carbs go back on, im getting rid of all the old peeling paint and cleaning up a bit.

1980 KZ750 project...

#7 ·
the kz750 four engine is actually a decent engine. If it were a twin I would suggest you send her to the bottom of the nearest lake but the 4cyl is pretty nice. Kawasaki made a Z2 750 that used pretty much the same engine but was basically a scaled down Z1, might not be a bad thing to try and replicate if you are not cafe'ing the bike.

anyway - good luck with her and keep us posted.

#8 ·
Yeah the Z2 is a beautiful bike. I'll look into that! Would the GPz/L3 tanks be direct swaps with the tank I have? Although my tank is very nice, I prefer the looks of the sportier kaws.

1980 KZ750 project...

Edited by - ShaneW on Jan 31 2008 11:25:59 AM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.