Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sons have turned me on to getting a cb750 to convert to a cafe racer and will take any advice i can get. for starters, I'm looking to change my wheels to something a bit smaller and wider. what can i easily swap to my 1980 cb750? spoke rims are preferred.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey Doc. Do your sons have any experience with motorcycles? The late '70's and early '80's was the time of Superbikes on the street, which are way cooler then the crap that's called a cafe racer today. If it's a CB750F and you want to change a good bike to a great bike then this should be the direction you head.
spencer_19.jpg

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Are you making the change for performance considerations or just for appearance? Majority of regular gear heads on this site love performance modifications, but if you are just playing doctor dressup with an old bike be ready for lots of negative comments and criticism.
Couple of problems you are going to encounter; wider tires are going to present clearance problems and smaller diameter wheels are going to further reduce your ground and cornering clearance on a bike that has relatively limited lean clearance in stock form. If you are already riding the bike, I'd be slightly surprised if you haven't already experienced the dragged hard parts, particularly when riding 2-up or cornering on less than perfect smooth roads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you making the change for performance considerations or just for appearance? Majority of regular gear heads on this site love performance modifications, but if you are just playing doctor dressup with an old bike be ready for lots of negative comments and criticism.
Couple of problems you are going to encounter; wider tires are going to present clearance problems and smaller diameter wheels are going to further reduce your ground and cornering clearance on a bike that has relatively limited lean clearance in stock form. If you are already riding the bike, I'd be slightly surprised if you haven't already experienced the dragged hard parts, particularly when riding 2-up or cornering on less than perfect smooth roads.
+1 on the ground clearance issue. It's not generous as standard even with different pipes and rearsets. Stonking motor though when in good nick.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
my sons have turned me on to getting a cb750 to convert to a cafe racer and will take any advice i can get. for starters, I'm looking to change my wheels to something a bit smaller and wider. what can i easily swap to my 1980 cb750? spoke rims are preferred.
I watched one ride into a swamp once cuz he started dragging bits on a curve due to shit for clearance. Had his girl on the back. She was not impressed. Start, go, handle, stop. If you work on those the "looks" will come with it. Woodsmans #19 is a pretty good example of improving a bike and having look the tits because of it. Cheers and good luck with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts