Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally picked one up today. It's a 1972 k4 (supposedly) with only 5800 miles on it. all original except exhaust. it's going to be a slowish build, but i promise to update as i go. it will look great when finished as i have many ideas. the guy also through in a tail he fab'd himself out of stainless thta i'll probably actually use...

it will almost fire, i'm getting a new battery for it tonite and will soak the carbs tonite. also prior the engine had painted silver with spray paint, so time to clean.

pics-

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that little thing is a blast. We race them at the local go cart track bi-weekly. LOT of fun with nice slides/high-sides and passes.

quote:Originally posted by shinneh

*points at the little bike behind yamaha* I love that thing

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and so far i've adjusted the valves, changed the oil, cleaned out and replaced all the shifting cables and mechanism. Also, started experimenting with rearset options. I want modern and simple. So i've tried an option with a spare set of passenger rearsets off of my old 2006 r6 race bike. Might just work!

Of course it will all eventually be powder coated (winter).

also started replacing the engine bolts with black allen head bolts. There steel though, so that might pose a problem later. but they look good.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far I still haven't got it to start. One cylinder for about 5 seconds is it. Right cylinder has a Badly torn diaphragm and what seems to be little to no spark. On the way is condenser, points, and points plate with new wiring. And I think to make things easier I'm just gonna order new Mikuni's from Todd Hennings Racing!

Also Kreemed the tank. So hopefully it will fire SOON.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I used the next bolt hole forward to mount rearsets on my 350. I found the passenger peg hole to be a little too far back for me.

Ken

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

I used the next bolt hole forward to mount rearsets on my 350. I found the passenger peg hole to be a little too far back for me.

Ken
so did judey on his 350 and it's a perfectly natural, very coomfortable position.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. Are you meaning the next hole that is down a little with no bolt in it? Or forward near the frame with a bolt in it? Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The forward one with the bolt in it. I think it is a 6mm that I drilled and tapped to an 8. I'll try and post a picture later when I go out to the garage.

Ken

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be great, thanks!

The forward one with the bolt in it. I think it is a 6mm that I drilled and tapped to an 8. I'll try and post a picture later when I go out to the garage.

Ken

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

You can see the brake lever set up on this one too if you look closely.

I thought everybody should see my dog, too. She is a good dog!

Ken

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Texy, My wife thinks you are weird and she will have the dog bite you. She is envious of the fun we had at Mid-o and is looking forward to next years racing season. She wants to go to beertopia.

Ken

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
"...you might imagine my dog like Toto from the Wizard of Oz..."

i miss my lab. thanks for the memories your picture stirred, principal essex.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts