Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the A main start from our race this weekend. I qualified 7th out of about 30 buggies and had a fast car for the conditions but my old nerves weren't quite up to the task that particular race. It was the first run on a new layout which was very technical and a few jumps changed dramatically throughout the race day. It is off road but we like to race each other and not the track. LOL Watch full screen and HD for full effect. RC cars need all of the help they can get scale/resolution wise.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Are the track assistants paid in copay or Ibuprofen?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What chassis you running this time, Victor?
Losi 8ight-E 3.0. They really have perfected the sensored motor electronics now. It's just like driving a big honking indestructible 1/10 4wd buggy. Losi has even released a kit with a purpose built chassis and shock towers that have camber link and shock positions optimized for the electric's weight distribution.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
holy shit that looks like alot of fun. wonder if they've got anything like that over here....
I'm sure they do. It's just a matter of how far you'll have to drive to get to the nearest track. European tracks typically have fewer jumps and higher traction surfaces.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the track assistants paid in copay or Ibuprofen?
Track marshals are the racers from the previous race. I wished most tracks had hired help for this but tracks rarely turn a profit, or enough of one to warrant paying employees to do anything. Even the track building is usually done with volunteer work and/or donations from the racing community.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd definitely be asking for shin guards...
They can get you if you aren't looking out for yourself, and sometimes even that doesn't work out for you. I accidentally broke a guy's thumb a few months back when he tried to keep the car from somersaulting up into his face after I missed a jump. The car was going to come up short, or so I thought, so I landed on power to help pull the front end over the lip of the landing. Turns out it was a perfect downside and the car launched out of the following jump as if it had rockets attached to it, and headed straight for the marshal standing in the hairpin following the jump section. I applied full brakes to keep from hitting him but the car's skid plate dug in and it started flipping instead of sliding to a stop. It's racing though, shit happens and he wasn't too mad at me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Needs some onboard video!
You can"t see much of anything. It's been tried. And no camera mount can withstand the torture these cars go through.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Needs some onboard video!
Now airborne onboard, or FPV(first person view) racing, with multirotors looks like it could become a very popular part of the rc hobby if people set up some decent looking courses. You could even race indoors with these little tiny racers.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
This thread is so cool. I've never seen anything like rc racing before. I couldn't quit laughing at those cars hitting that triple. I thought I wanted the Parrot Beebop drone but now I don't k now. Cool stuff going on here.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me know how much you want to spend and I'll try to steer you in the right direction. 1/8 scale, like the cars in the vid, are the most popular to race in most regions but 1/10 is just as fun if the track is built for them and it's less than half the cost to get started or maintain the vehicles.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If you want the ultimate in speed and have a supply of zanex to hold your nerves down, here's some on road 1/8th scale. 4wd, freakin fast.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here's the full A main from last years Worlds. These are nitro buggies. If you can tune, these are a kick!

- - - Updated - - -
I've watched it. The kid is gifted, that's for sure. He was at the nationals Chris Allison's track put on last year and will likely be at the Lonestar Nitro Challenge being run here in a few more weeks. They make it look so damn easy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I finally got to put one more notch in my belt after a 6 month lesson in how to recover your rc racing skills and set up a car to suit your driving style following a really long layoff, but it could very well be my last with the rc racing community heating up in Central Texas and the young guns that are coming up to take over. You just can't compete with their nervous systems honed on video games and of course they haven't discovered drugs or drinking yet. So until next weekend, I get bragging rights :)

Here's a pic of the old heap heading onto the front straight after negotiating a filthy rotten off camber single. It was like playing Russian roulette if you had someone on your ass and didn't want to lift.

Oh, and just to tie this in to the whole cafe racer thing, it IS modified. LOL I just rearranged the set up of the battery and electronic speed control unit to get more weight onto the front tires for unlimited steering potential. I had to dial back the suspension geometry to take away some of the steering after the first round of qualifying and got it almost perfect by the mains. It still needs the diff fluids and shock set up fine tuned to deal with the changes but it's close to doing what I want, when I want, instead of always pushing when the forward weight transfer stops and the chassis/suspension transitions into on power mode.

GRZ_3921.jpg

The photographer is still processing photos and posting them. Here's a decent photo of some mini roosts. :eek:

GRZ_4086.jpg

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The start of last weekend's pro nitro A main at the Thornhill Racing Circuit outside of Austin with Ryan Maifield leading the pack out of the gates.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/ThornhillRacingCircuit/videos/vb.324583187669520/701857659942069/?type=1&theater[/video]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts