Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a way to work some exercise back into my schedule so I picked up my old MX bike from the guy who bought it and rarely rode it. It's an 03 KX250 set up for trails and is a hoot to ride. Some of my friends race enduro around Texas but most of them have seen the inside of a hospital way too much so I'm going to stick with just trail riding again. It's too tempting to go faster than your skills will safely allow when there's competition involved.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Stay off them dirty bikes, they are dangerous :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stay off them dirty bikes, they are dangerous :)
I know. I've already used up all of my luck on this same bike before it was sold last time. I'm just going to get some cardio and get the muscles working again after sitting in a chair for a couple of years straight. That's the plan anyway.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I hope to have my xr200 back together before summer. Do more woods riding here than anything. Planning on getting on a standup ski this year. Possibly an x2 kawasaki.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope to have my xr200 back together before summer. Do more woods riding here than anything. Planning on getting on a standup ski this year. Possibly an x2 kawasaki.
Mostly woods here too. We have some really nice places that are open a few times a year where the trails are like the best damn roller coaster you could imagine. And those places usually time it so that the moisture in the ground provides the perfect traction. Go a little too fast though and you'll find a tree.

Austin is also blessed with one of if not the only single track enduro/trials bike properties in an urban area in the whole country. Some how it's managed to survive all of the environmental crack downs through the years and is maintained with public funds. We can go there and ride for free seven days a week but it is considered advanced riding, even by mountain biker standards.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
At a local public riding area

Mine; 2003 200MXC (the clean one), Enduro Engineering suspension, mildly ported, V-Force reeds, KTM Hard Parts pipe and whatnot

Buddy's; 300MXC (muddy one), EE suspension, tons o' motor work

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At a local public riding area
Mine; 2003 200MXC (the clean one), Enduro Engineering suspension, mildly ported, V-Force reeds, KTM Hard Parts pipe and whatnot

Buddy's; 300MXC (muddy one), EE suspension, tons o' motor work
Cool. Mine is sprung for me and the forks were worked over for trail riding by an old factory tech that I know. I put a flywheel weight on, V-Force reeds and used to have a Gnarly on it before a few too many falls taco'ed it. I'll be sending my engine off to Eric Gorr for a 295 big bore kit with a woods port as soon as the budget allows. I could just throw another piston in again but the power valve was pretty toasted last time I was in there. Eric rebuilds all of that. :)

Love the 2-strokes. Mine may become a street bike project one day when the knees are completely gone.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Picked up this 84 TT600 a couple years ago that the previous owner had gotten street legal with a Baja Designs lighting/turn signal kit. Makes a great dual sport and is easily one of my favorite bikes. Nimble and light for fire roads and single track, but will do 70 all day long on the pavement if needed. I adapted the Acerbis 6 gal. tank from an XR600. Over a million acres of Mt. Hood National forest is just outside our back door and I can in be there all weekend without coming out for fuel.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
XR1.jpg

Ive had this xr400 for around 7 years now and its been so reliable. I dropped the front forks from a crf450 in which really transformed the bike for a bit of enduro racing. Also got twin pipes on the back now instead of the large slip on can which got beat up when I fell off. Done loads of little mods over the years, like pumper carb, rev max cdi, higher compression piston and its never let me down. I used to race a 600 Husaberg which was a real animal and I can go just as fast on this without getting so tired. Funny how when it gets cold, most of the aches and pains you feel are from memorable falls from an off road bike!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

Did trans america trail fro OR coast to Rockies and then tarmac to Chicago and Boston. Picture is my buddy's bike - he joined for 1st 6 days. Also did a couple races in the desert when I lived in CA, started feeling vulnerable though. Going 40-50+mph next to sharp big rocky terrain (fast guys way faster than that) esp a few painful spills later made me accept that I am not bullet proof.

Now I am seriously challenged time wise as I bought a family farm and have a kid on the way and my other job is self employed too. I am really hurting to have a working bike - currently don't have one. With time being so short I am constantly resisting temptation. There is a nice 70s TS250 2-smoke with somewhat modern front end (probably DR or DRZ) and 17" alu supermoto wheels for sale nearish me. It would be a perfectly silly yet handy mix of nostalgia, wackyness and handy for the farm.

I think I need to see this coming summer and then see how much or little time I have before I buy toys. I have a zillion things on the farm that need attention to get fixed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
From our last club ride. I'm the "even fatter than I used to be" guy on the Green Machine. The last half of the group falls behind when someone stalls, but they catch back up to me around the 14:00 mark. The lead guy checked out by the second or third turn. This trail is probably the tightest of the club properties that we ride but it's still got a few places where the heroes can open her up.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Those trails look like my idea of fun.

When I raced Hare Scrambles around here the courses were laid out by the A class riders. Their idea of true single-track is 29"-30" between trees, fair game. The more the better. Off camber hillside 180s around the radius of a tree, stuff like that. If the terrain didn't do it they'd lay lay small logs down mid-corner at the perfect angle to hook your front wheel and put you down if you didnt see them and wheelie over. Challenging, not fun.

I sold my last KTM a few weeks ago. Even though I hadn't ridden in over a year and the prudent thing with my job is to not ride I don't like that I'm dirtbike-less.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those trails look like my idea of fun.

When I raced Hare Scrambles around here the courses were laid out by the A class riders. Their idea of true single-track is 29"-30" between trees, fair game. The more the better. Off camber hillside 180s around the radius of a tree, stuff like that. If the terrain didn't do it they'd lay lay small logs down mid-corner at the perfect angle to hook your front wheel and put you down if you didnt see them and wheelie over. Challenging, not fun.

I sold my last KTM a few weeks ago. Even though I hadn't ridden in over a year and the prudent thing with my job is to not ride I don't like that I'm dirtbike-less.
We rode the same course the weekend before and a few mud bogs developed that were like motorcycle traps. LOL I managed to avoid them when they were at their worst and the trail crew routed around them for this second weekend. There's also a few places where we took the "Easy" splits to avoid the vertical stuff that the A riders like. No thanks! I prefer to go home afterwards instead of to the hospital.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts