Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some internal splines cut...pretty quickly...anybody here have a broach? my buddies machine shop doesnt have one (they work on large stuff mostly) and i don't think they have one at work...any help?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
perhaps you could provide some dimensions which may or may not assist you in getting useful answers

I do have a friend with a sinker EDM and it will surely cut small to large internal splines

but it does have limits

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I would suggest that you simply cut the old brake lever off and weld the splined portion to a suitable arm that will work with your rearset linkage. If you really want to make a splined lever arm of your own, then you can do it later and be riding in the meantime.

Ken

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess i made the post out of haste, but the bike is 50 miles away from me, and i can't just go out and get some quick dimensions. i should have taken dims when i was mocking up the rear set mounts, but hindsight is 20/20. I'll call my cousin and see if he can roughly get me some dimensions and i'll try to mock something up. but ken, i may have to do what you are saying...i just don't want to. i said i wasn't going to ride the bike till it was FINISHED, and as nice as everything is on the bike, i don't want to ruin the bike with one rigged up part. you know the bike is only as pretty as its ugliest part! hey hack, if i sent you the male splined piece and a drawing of what i need, could you have it made up this week? i know that is a lot to ask, but i think we are pretty close location wise and i could red label the parts and send you a red label to send them back to me. if so, how much would you ask for such a service. all help is much appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Something like the EDM Hack mentions is probably your only short term solution short of cobbing something up temperary.

Spline broaches are quite rare, expensive, and very specific to sline size, pitch, depth, diameter etc. It's way different than a typical keyway broach.
The only spline broaches I've seen are very very gently tapered high speed steel thingies you push into and out of the desired hole to be splined.
I've looked for them for sale and could never find any, all I could find are companies that can make them for you.

I'd love it if someone could educate me on these tools, there seems to be very little information out there concerning them.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
guess you don't want to buy a used one and split the cases, huh?

tex

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you cutting aluminum or steel? An old-school machinist could probably grind a single point cutter to be used in a shopmade boring bar. That could be chucked up in mill and used like a shaper with the quill with the spindle locked. With that, some math, a rotary table and some trial cuts you could probably do a decent job on a one-off piece. It'd be time consuming and fiddly though, and you once you were done you probably wouldn't want to do it again. Especially in steel.

Michael

PS - could also be done in a lathe using the carriage travel as a shaper if you had a way to index the chuck or faceplate to the correct number of splines.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i figured out my situation. i am going to take the stock brake pedal and cut it up. all that will be left of the stocker is going to be a circular shaped piece that has the internal threads in it. i will then have a steel piece made with a hole in it large enough for what is left of the stock brake pedal, then weld the two together on the inside of the piece. then i have what i need even though its not in trick ass aluminum. best of all, i didnt have to ship parts all over God's green earth to get it done. i can probably make this part in a couple of hours at the shop on saturday...so i won't be delaying my test run. oh yeah, my rear set brackets are done as of yesterday afternoon and they are turning me out a linkage rod today for it. i sure hope you guys can attend my "welcome home bike" party!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you SO MUCH for that link, i may end up ordering something from them. thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Great link, now on my favorite suppliers list.
But...those splines are not going to work on a shifter or brake shaft. Those are gear splines, note the flatten tips and valleys. Gearshift and brake shaft splines have pointed peaks and valleys.
Although it would be a lot closer than nothing.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm, i didnt notice that johnny b, but thanks for the heads up. i guess its back to chopping up brake levers!!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
for a brake lever........ I'd cut one and weld everything back up

do it well and it can be made to be pleasant to the eye

easiest and quickest would be a hammer forge if you don't want a cut up part

maybe you have some mennonite or amish community nearby?

they can hammer hot metal around a male spline

the EDM will require 3d drawings first and I'm not sure when the guy with the EDM could or would get to it

but I am sure he can

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah hack, im going for the cut and weld approach, but you know what, we have a HUGE ammish community, i didn't even think about that. i'll post pics on what i come up with on saturday

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
hammer forging would be cheap, effeictive, and very quick

and if the smithy doing it is good

the end results could approach cnc quality overall with just a bit of finishing

to edm that as a one off would cost a small mint

good luck

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, the forging idea is good, but i just don't trust that i could get it done this weekend. My buddy at the machine shop already got me a piece of steel bar stock for me to use too. Their EDM at that shop is all tied up right now, and i don't feel like drawing any more things up. i couldnt get it drawn up anyway because i dont have the spined piece at my house to dimension out...so i will try the "cut and paste" way. i thought about it more, and i'm going to cut a square piece instead of circular...squares are a lot easier to cut with my band saw! LOL!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wait...did you notice that i am actually using ken's idea! should have listened to him way back! LOL!! great minds think alike though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts