Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have asked before. Anyone else mess around with jetskis?

Also I have started my yearly starvation games. Trying to lose weight before summer riding season. :( Riding skis kill my knees worse than any dirtbike has ever.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
I was a yamaha tech for a while.
had a gp1300r with some riva parts.
also built a FX hot rod once.

·
Registered
405 Posts
2 wr500's, 1 gp760... l like the older simpler twin cylinder skis.. wear some knee bracing/wrap like footballer's and runners do as it keeps the fibers and tendons bunched for better support.. the newer tube type nylon works well!!
on a ski your knees take all the abuse as you have no other 'shock' device to support your body (bikes have rubber tires and shocks to eat up some of the pounding)..water is a hard hit at 40mph!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Had a Wavejammer, Waveblaster 2, and a Sea-Doo GTS. Sold everything about 18 months ago. The nieces are in college, none of our friends and family had skis anymore, and we just don't have the free weekends to go to the lake anymore. But had a lot of fun on them over the years. If I lived on the water, I wouldn't be without one or two.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently run kawasaki XIs. I am rebuilding a GP800r that was a salt water boat until the engine blew, but i have basically the entire driveline and engine from a freshwater boat to go in it. Yamahas are expensive (well the GP800 is, the older 701 and such is cheap and reliable). I also have a couple of kawasaki X2s floating around. One needs assembly with a stockish 650. Stockish = lightly ported cylinder, milled head, exhaust mod/longer tailcone, either a 44mm SBN or dual 38s, premix. The other is more long term, SP 750 with a 750 pump swap. I REALLY want to make the move to standups this year. I have a js440 but its not a big enough boat for me. I am presently trying to acquire a 650sx. I bought one Xi and the rest just followed me home i swear.

I will have to try the wrap. Right now I am doing a lot of leg curls, squats, lunges, and leg presses at the gym just to build strength and endurance in my leg muscles. To go along with the sore knees, my quads will be insanely sore as well. It doesn't help that the guys i ride with have larger 3 seaters (still 2 strokes) and can basically ride in the rough while drinking a beer. While I look like I am riding mx whoops on every wave with the short relatively flat bottom XI hull. One friend rides a Seadoo HX, which is a blast and has a deep V that cuts through alot of the chop. He geats beat up too but not quite as bad.

I have reached a point where I would rather ride skis than bikes. I love bikes, but, atleast on my local lake, the moron to me ratio is lots more tolerable than on the road. The bass boat guys tend to be the SUV woman putting on makeup while driving 25 over in both lanes of traffic types. Especially when they decide its an awesome idea to pull their kid on a tube with 700 feet of rope and completely ignore other craft on the water.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Issue with the Yamaha triples is that they blow the center cylinder.
Power valves were and issue too.

The Gp800, not the GP800R is a great ski

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The funny thing is, the one I miss the most was the most functionally deficient one. The Yamaha 500s were severely underpowered, yet the undersized, mixed-flow pump cavitated with little provocation. Add in a wide-nosed hull that slammed into any sort of chop and it was utterly useless for covering any sort of distance. And unlike a stand-up, it wasn't really possible to do any "tricks" or "stunts." But on a glassy lake early in the morning, just riding that short hull never got old. And as durable as a cockroach.

I dreamed of putting a 760 motor and 155mm pump into one.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wavejammer are just so funky that they rock!

I have to kind of agree on the gp800r. I love the hull. But the engine is a hand grenade. The 66E has radical porting and those powervalves of doom. Still I dream of three 66e cylinders on a 1200 case with a high comp head. Such a beautiful burning bright little meteor.

The worst ski hands down I have ever dealt with was a 2000 XPL with the 951. Money pit from hell. Its like if the Brits had made a 2 stroke street bike that was more prone to blowing up and shaking itself apart than pretty much all of their twins. The hull wasn't particularly fun. I heard alot of folks brag on it, and I agree it handles great when you have it stretched out. Its a brilliant ski when it works and if all you wanna do is ride big water at high speed. But in coves it always seemed more lumbering than pretty much any other 2 stroke. And its big and the weight of the that huge 2 stroke up front feels all wrong when you are used to older, smaller skis. The GP800R is kind of the same way but i can tell the engine is further back so it seems more responsive.

Back on the subject of the gp800r. If i could find a yamaha 4 stroke I would do the swap. Its an inner liner trim and (because its a twin instead of a triple) two new mount type thing. I am not a huge 4 stroke fan though. The 2 strokes are...well....2 strokes!!! BRAPP!

Its always fun showing up at the hangouts on the lake riding old strokers. People just look at the old boats like "wth is that". I can't tell if they are interested or they think we are lame because we dont ride $12k skis. Poor ride beats proud walk, er swim.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scored a dual carb intake for my 650 engines :)

not doing great on the starvation games week one. Worked too much to get to the gym and ate taco bell.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Scored a dual carb intake for my 650 engines :)

not doing great on the starvation games week one. Worked too much to get to the gym and ate taco bell.
The chicken enchirito and shredded chicken soft taco really aren't too bad, nutrition-wise. Order the chicken soft taco "fresco style" (replaces cheese with pico) and it's actually a great option.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got to get started on my 100 mile month program again. Basically i walk/run/jog 25 miles per week. I was having decent results with this last year. My goal is to take off 30-40 pounds to ease my deep water mounts and its generally cheaper than building a hotter engine. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts