1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'm thinking more pointy helmet than fairing (although with a Katana style windscreen and some round projector beams in scoop/pods on the sides at the prop holes it could work as a fairing). Or it could be a really good start on that Madonna style bra you've always dreamed of Geeto!

Jim

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
On the flip side, Foose did the nosecone thing with his P32 roadster and I can't be the only one that would be tempted to paint either a nipple or an eyeball on the thing if he left it unattended in a parking lot, right?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bfd

It would make a really cool pointy helmet
"We are the knights who say Ni!"...

Actually, that's a really nice prop spinner. We've used those to make some pretty cool trophies, but that's a story for another time.

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
And yes Geeto, that could make a nice fairing on the right machine. You don't often find that kind of quality shaped aluminum for that cheap.

FR

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking the clip ons could go through the cutouts for the prop blades and either mount a single projector headlight in the nose or recess a standard light underneath.

For a windscreen I could see a modern plastic bubble protruding up off the top of it. Ideally you would want the top of the nosecone to be level with the top of the fuel tank for that ultra streamlined bullet look.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Yeah, but what tank are you using? It's kind of like the Kohler commercial where the couple asks the design firm to build a house around the faucet. ( I hate TV analogies...)
But yeah a small projector in the nose cone would be cool.

FR

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a great thing about Airplane parts is that they have to be certified to be airworthy, otherwise they are worthless to the aviation crowd. The other advantage is there are not too many people looking for uncertified airplane parts so the cost are low.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i thought it would make a super tail piece....trailing edges are actually quite effective at cleaning up turbulence (whirlpools) and thus reducing drag.
-parks

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
FR,
I can't tell you how much the kids still talk about that shit. Augie has a troph in his room and last fall Sarah was up visiting and tried to claim it. It just about broke out into fistacufs. She and I wound up getting into a huge row, the jest of which (from my perspective) was my taking exception to the size of her Ego for making such an unsubstantiated claim. If she wants to be a lawyer she's going to have to make better cases for taking people's Aviation cast offs.

Cheer- Leo

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That's great. I'm glad to know that those trophies still inspire madness.

FR

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well someone outbid me on it. Bastard. As for the kind of tank for it could go two ways - something teardrop shaped or something flat sided. Teardrop shaped for the art deco look, flatsided for the super tuck that is required behind that fairing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

ok - does anyone else think they could make a killer cafer racer 1/4 fairing out of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/nose-cone-sky-king-2-prop-hot-rod-rat-rod-chevy-hemi_W0QQitemZ280205698282QQihZ018QQcategoryZ19164QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was originally looking at it as a possible donor for a seat cowl but the more I looked at it the more I thought it should be mounted up front.
i bought one about 5 or 6 months ago to do just that with it geet, the one i got is a really nice polished aluminum. it's at the machine/fab shop i work at now. i work on it when i can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts