Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just go back from a nice long ride. We ended up on NY 97 in Port Jervis, NY. A short section of that road, just North of PJ is an incredible series or twisties. Cliff going up on one side of the road, cliffs going down to the river on the other.

There must have been 200 bikes there, either on the road, parked along side, or in the que waiting for a long break in the traffic. Bikes seemed to be split between late model Japanse sportbikes and Harleys. I only saw a couple BMW's, oldest bike was a yamaha verigo. It was interesting that the protective gear went from the usual t-shirts and sneakers, down to girls with shorts and flip flops (how do you spell SKIN GRAFT) to a few in full leathers.

So, if you didn't know about it before, it is worth the ride up the city or wherever. Kind of like a ultra mini Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
jack-

i live 20 minutes away from the Hawks Nest. a few big sweeepers, and the view is better than the corners, BMW filmed a commercial at that spot...but i have totaled a bike/broken bones/torn ligaments there. more/better/longer/better sweepers going up to High Point state park just over the NY/NJ border. then lots of decent twisty roads to either side of rt. 23.

let me know next time you're around.

-tt

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Jack,
there were 5 of us out yesterday just east of hawks nest. mostly vintage, cb550, cl350, cb750, 1st year klr and me on the sv650. good times and a TON of great roads. we even managed to roll on some abandoned roads... i guess there is a reason some roads aren't on the map eh? anyway, if you ever want to ride with other folks on vintage bikes check out the NYCvinMoto list, we are trying to make this sunday ride thing a permanent fixture.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
jack hawks nest is cool too bad its so short, tt's right going up to high point from the north is real nice, 2 lanes wide, big sweeps,
both spots where used in the 2007 spring giro, surprised a few out of towners, i don't think they knew what north jersey had to offer, and rosko I'll have to keep an eye out for you guys, north west jersey is my home zone, we have lots of favorite routes we love to show

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
trying to get out more. I used to make it up thereabouts on my 450 more often. Great roads and tons of the sort I dig. I prefer the old rough, rugged, gravely, pot-hole strewn secondary roads to most anything. The last giro had a lot of those gems. Some folks aren't into it but nothing is more fun to me. Hauling ass on some sketchy shit? good times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What a great area! I've got a place in Ulster County near Ellenville, about an hour from Port Jervis. The entire region is just covered with amazing roads. Great for a road bike, but perfect for a dual sport. Nothing like tearing up some pavement twisties then taking the short way home over the mountain on fireroads. Would definitely like to meet up with some of the NY or NJ folks for a ride sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts