Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
97' Bimota Mantra, which I would sell for 8K, BTW. Great bike, unique love it or hate it looks, 900 two valve Ducati w/39mm pumpers and lightened flywheel, weighs 370 dry, great handling and performance.

The new Triumphs leave me cold, plus the old Triumphs are still cheaper, appreciate rather than depreciate over the years, and (no offense) are actually Triumphs.

I don't know why Triumph didn't build on their past better than they did. They should have at least built the Bonne with the same idea that Kawasaki had with their little knock off. If Kawi's bike had Triumph on the tank instead of Kawasaki, they'd have sold like hot cakes. Instead we get motorcycles that barely resemble the symetry and balance of engine, frame, and tin that Triumph was in days of old.

And their ads(!), it would have been so easy to play off the past. The ad comes on, old films of Triumph dirt trackers and roadracers racing, victory circle, Gary Nixon kisses the trophy girl (remember them?), and the voice over says, "Remember us? We're back", and then they show a new Bonneville or something.

And their new Scrambler is a disaster. My buddy bought one and couldn't wait to get rid of it. He said it had absolutely no character, plus they didn't even put the 360 crank in it so it didn't even growl like a Triumph. To me, they're very ungainly looking, a total mish-mash mismatch. He sold his Scrambler and now has a 69' Bonneville which he loves and is bringing up to snuff.

You want a real Triumph, buy a real Triumph. And I'm not saying that the new Triumphs are bad motorcycles, I guess their 675 got bike of the year and they're all nice machines, but where Harley hit the ball out of the park with the nostalgia thing, Triumph hit a pop fly.

Dgy

· Registered
501 Posts
I think the KTM is a great machine, and if you put those big aluminum boxes on it, it gets quirky enough that it's cool. But I'd rather ride my T100C 500 Triumph on back roads. Maybe I'm getting too old to want to really haul ass, or maybe hauling ass is just plain getting old, but been there/done that to death, and now I just like small horse power and use all of it. I am into back roads, tight stuff, find a dirt road and see where it goes, scope out what's in peoples back yards and maybe find something cool like an old car. Besides, I don't get enough time to ride anymore, so close to home is good. Plus, there's way too many cops around here and while I used to run them, I won't anymore as that's now a felony in NY because a cop got killed chasing a kid on a bike. And, 13K is a lot of money to shell out, anyways.

Dgy

· Registered
501 Posts
I guess I don't think of it as British snobbery, as I really like the W650 to begin with, but as with the Harley thing why buy the knockoff when the real thing is available? Why buy anything that's not the real thing? They're like women with fake tits, what's the point. BTW, I dated a woman with fakers, looked great but they were hard a couple of inches in. Almost hurt to hug her, very strange. But back to my point, which is there's nothing wrong with being a purist, but snobs are assholes.

Dgy

· Registered
501 Posts
Well, you get posers with a lot of the brands. Actually, the Ducati's are wonderful street machines. That air-cooled 2 valve engine makes real nice usable power all over the place and the chassis are better than anything else out there. I think tube frames are still the way to go as cast aluminum doesn't allow the wheels any leeway to follow the road when the bike is laid way over in a turn. The Ducati's are generally beautiful bikes to look at, also. They have a distinct style that is theirs and theirs alone. I really like these new classic bikes they've come out with, plus I think they're priced right. Besides, that Ducati engine thundering through a set of D&D cans is one of the best sounds in motorcycling.

But then, that's just me.
Dgy

quote:
Seriously, if I could justify the cost of any bike currently for sale I'd have a Ducati Sport Classic in my garage. Yeah, they're 10 Gs, but man they're hot.

Although I'd have to get beyond the name on the tank - I think of Ducatis like Audis - Dudes buy them who want the image more than anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.