Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the reputation of Meades Auto in Ardmore?

I'm looking at a Gilera 106 down there. It's a 5.5 hr drive for me. I don't want to do it if the seller's going to "adjust" the price after I arrive, or something like that.

Meades Auto is supposed to also be a bike shop.
Anyone know them?

Thanks in advance,

Joe from Boston

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
by their facebook page....it looks like an auto repair garage that just happens to be selling a Gilera.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Meades-Automotive-Inc/146649565384749

I'm in Philly, been here for years, but I never heard of them. Doesn't mean that they suck....just I don't get out to the Main Line anymore.

You could call them and ask if the price is firm....and tell them that you don't want to waste your time driving the 7 hours down from Boston.

also....if you are gonna stick around here, mind adding Joe and Boston Mass to your profile please?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tex. Jack Cole says you know the Pa region.

I did call them. They seemed good, reasonable. But in the world of used cars/bikes....it's just a business transaction.
They said they had a number of bikes. Many. Thanks for the link to the FB page. Their page is a little "underwhelming."

Profile changed.
Joe

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
If you do come down to Philly there are a few out of the way shops to visit. Start at The Spare Parts Company at Fourth and Vine in Olde City, then head up to Liberty Cycle in Fishtown. That's where I'm headed tonight......see other thread for the video link of Adam's shop. Good luck with the Gilera. I wish I wouldn't have sold mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tex, do tell me about your Gilera. A 106? And you liked yours?

Most of what I've heard is mediocre. I.e. "A Gilera 125 is better" "Ducati singles are better" "the Sears 106 was outdated before it even hit the catalog" etc, etc.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I had a 106. It wasn't worth driving 6 hours each way for. It was a charming little bike an not as rare as I once thought in my pre Internet days. Ice melts faster than it goes. It was a great small bike for tall riders but it literally has no more usefulness than a moped.

If you really want to get into Italian small bike ownership get a Vespa. Or look for a wards-riverside benelli.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

I had a 106. it literally has no more usefulness than a moped.
Ouch! That hurts.

I'm selling a Batavus moped, the pride of the Netherlands. 49cc 2t with a top speed of 28-30mph if everything is favorable.

The Gilera 106 should be capable of 40 mph, which may not be a huge leap in performance.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
when you come to pick up your gilera....bring an extra $100 and i'll sell you another Batavus.

I liked mine....it wasn't stock, PO installed suberbike bars & knobbies and made it a woods bike. It was fast enough for me, and will be an ideal urban moto.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
When I pick mine up in a couple of weeks, I am going to use it for the perfect pit bike.
Texy, we can cruise it at Mid-ohio.

Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sign216

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

I had a 106. it literally has no more usefulness than a moped.
Ouch! That hurts.

I'm selling a Batavus moped, the pride of the Netherlands. 49cc 2t with a top speed of 28-30mph if everything is favorable.

The Gilera 106 should be capable of 40 mph, which may not be a huge leap in performance.
It is actually a leap backwards in performance. Your batavus moped is a two stroke, where as the 106ss is a four stroke. So while you moped my only do 30mph, it gets to 30 mph a lot quicker. By modern standards the gilera MAY hit 40 but it will get there with all the fury of being squeezed from a tube of toothpaste.

Is there any reason you don want a grown up motorcycle?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Geeto,

Can't talk for Joe but little bikes are cool. I can carry 4 with my minivan. They are easy to get in and out of my basement workshop. One clyinder is easy to work on and figure out. You can fit 2 in the floor space of one big bike. They have plenty of pop for in city and quiet country roads.

I disagree with the performance difference you mentioned. I had a Batavus VA and its 0-30 was a lot slower than my Honda 50 c100.

Convince Joe he NEEDS an Aermacchi 250 or a Benelli 125 two stroke. I have both for sale at the moment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm getting this for my son, as I coax him into motorcycling. Actually, we like fixing bikes more than riding.
The Batavus moped was a good start; no gears, 49cc was easy for him to kick start, and he could move the lightweight machine around.

Now I'm stepping up the game to something a little bigger with a real transmission. Hence, a Sears 106 or a Monza Jr 160 would be good.
I'm avoiding 2 cycles because I like the dedicated lubrication of a 4T, and I feel that the Italians never gave 2Ts the quality construction that they put into 4T bikes. For them, 2 cycles bikes were "cheap."

Geeto, I've got "grown up motorcycles." Well, do a 500cc and 750cc count? I remember when a 750 was a big bike. I am shocked that's now considered a learner's size.

Joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
I currently own a sears 106ss and i like it alot, like others have said its isnt a speed racer but putts around town with no problems. The styling is simple but the bike turns heads everywhere i ride it. I removed the giant rear fender which made it look a little too long for my taste, and made a smaller one out of sheet metal. Performance wise it tops out around 45-50mph dependng on the conditions, ive owned several mopeds including a modded 70cc puch magnum and the gilera would have beat them all in a drag race to 35-40 because of the 4 speed gear box. As a bike for your son i would think it would be great, super easy to work on and very simple to operate. I wouldnt want it as my only bike though buts thats why i own a 450 as well; but it would make a great first/ learning vintage bike.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Texy,
A Gilera. I am trading Hahnda some Honda singles for a runner. There is a thread on here somewhere.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by santander

I currently own a sears 106ss and i like it alot, like others have said its isnt a speed racer but putts around town with no problems. The styling is simple but the bike turns heads everywhere i ride it. I removed the giant rear fender which made it look a little too long for my taste, and made a smaller one out of sheet metal. Performance wise it tops out around 45-50mph dependng on the conditions, ive owned several mopeds including a modded 70cc puch magnum and the gilera would have beat them all in a drag race to 35-40 because of the 4 speed gear box. As a bike for your son i would think it would be great, super easy to work on and very simple to operate. I wouldnt want it as my only bike though buts thats why i own a 450 as well; but it would make a great first/ learning vintage bike.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. 45 mph is fine performance for a 106cc bike, and we can live with that for town/rural use.

Funny how some people think that's as slow as a glacier. It's all perspective. The Batavus feels fine at 25 mph, until other cars start passing you. Then it get's embarrassing.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JackC

Ken,

Wasn't that a Garelli Rex you are getting from hahnda?

Jack

Oh Yeah, that's right. I knew it was one of those little Italian 4 stroke G things. Regardless, they are all about the same and I am looking forward to getting it for a pit bike. I am not going to do anything to lose the patina that it comes with.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
that Garelli is a nice little bike. I have only seen one other, for sale at both mid o and rhinebeck ( same bike same seller-,$1200 asking it was nice).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts