Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
View attachment 103887

Can take this out if I need to scratch the itch.
Better looking bike too.
View attachment 103887

Can take this out if I need to scratch the itch.
Better looking bike too.
Over the years it has always been SOP to replace freeze plugs whenever you do any major engine work. Almost always they have been eaten away on the back-side even when the coolant or Waterwetter was used properly. A rather cheap and easy thing to do but a major pain in the ass if the dumb things fail when the engine is together and in the chassis. A 10 min. job when assembling an engine or a weekend if you find one leaking when the wretched mess is all together. From your pictures I would be willing to bet that the plugs are gone by the way.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I suddenly feel the need to flush my BMW radiator and check out the water pump for signs of corrosion. It's been a while.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's mostly a good idea. Just remember that there's a reaction between all the different metals within your cooling system and that some of those materials do not fair well in the relationship. Even with the racers where we are not allowed to use common automotive coolants we use substitutes like WaterWetter so that can't happen. Well it does cool the engine a hell of a lot better than H2O but just saying.:cool:

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I heard that radiator repair places are among the most toxic nasty contributors to industrial waste water in a lot of cities ☠ everywhere in the world.

What does a cooling system look like after it has stop leal put in it, does it look like his?

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Checked the rear plugs late last night, they were good. Unsure how to feel about that.

Will pull the front after work tonight.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In your place and considering how corroded everything looks I'm not sure how I'd proceed. Those plugs are most likely only a few buck apiece and thinking about what a bitch it would be to have a leak after you get it running again I would consider just going with new.
One thing to remember when you are cleaning up the parts for reassembly. You are working with fairly soft materials. I almost never use metal scrapers to remove gasket bits from my parts. I have some plastic scrapers and Scotchbrite to clean up the mate surfaces. Metal scrapers can score those areas and cause leaks so take care and use silicone sealer with restraint.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

One failed plug in both cylinders. Didn't see it at first, but while trying to clean them to get a better look my pick when's right through them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
View attachment 103892

One failed plug in both cylinders. Didn't see it at first, but while trying to clean them to get a better look my pick when's right through them.
Yea often it's not just a visual thing because they can look fine but they rot from the inside out. I always poke them with a probe to be sure I'm not missing something but this is why I said I'd replace them all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reading this thread reminded me that I need to change the coolant on my wife's car. As most of you know, coolant becomes more acidic (pH drops) over time. Ideal pH for coolant is between 7.5 and 11. Test strips (like the ones available for swimming pools, jacuzzis, etc.) are available for this purpose.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
... I keep thinking of those movies where the guy has to pee into his radiator because that's all they have for water :|

·
Registered
227 Posts
TR; LOL you have a strange mind. And I thought that was the solders in the 1st WW doing that with the water cooled machine guns. Not to mention that if you can pee in the radiator of some of my bikes you are quite the fellow !

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Best CafeRacer thread ever Jag (y) glad you got the super cool go fast motorcycle almost fixed. For a moment there I seriously thought you were going to need to go electric :|

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Funny, I have actively been thinking about adding an electric bike to the garage.
I mainly cover the projects on DT now.

As for this SB8R, I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know it. This type of project really fits with my lifestyle.
Took me forever to understand that "full builds" are insanely time consuming and expensive.
I also am having a tone of fun with this era of bike. So useable.

Rode the SB8K Santa Monica to work the other day. Glorious.

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
811 Posts
can you get brass plugs? or get someone to machine an aluminium one up and weld it in?

i've seen quite a lot of ducati's milk the oil over the years, and apart from the porous heads on mts/diavel 1200 it's always the water pump seal. they don't have any internal plugs though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm sorry but this bit of advice is totally re-inventing the wheel. The freeze plugs being used in the Suzuki Motorbikes are the same type and material the Pharaohs we using in their Chariots they fail by design or if you mistreat or abuse them otherwise they work. If you were to weld a machined plug into the engine you better have a very good man with the welder or you would cause some serious problems o_O

·
Registered
84 Posts
Monitoring the pH of the coolant and changing it when it falls out of range (7.5 - 11) is truly the key to keeping soft plugs (they do nothing to protect the engine if it freezes) and metal head gaskets intact. High or low pH plays hell with these components.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Still waiting on freaking parts.....

HOW CAN COVID EFFECT OEM SUZUKI PARTS??????????

HOW?

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It has become the excuse for everything these days.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts