Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone -

I may need someone to ship a milling machine head (probably about 100lbs - a Bridgeport M head) for me - the guy selling says he won't ship. He's selling cheap enough that I'd like to have it for my mill. Says he's "near the Mass/NH border."

I'll find a way to make it worth your while, especially if it involves 160/175 race parts I can barter with...

In other news - I'm slowly starting to get my head above water after losing my dad quite unexpectedly to the flu/pneumonia in early January, so anyone who's been trying to get ahold of me for anything (like for 160/175 race parts) should try again. It's just about impossible to keep up with the email under normal circumstances and get anything at all done in the shop after the regular day job, so I'm sure I've accidentally blown off a bunch of guys over the last couple months. If that's the case with any of you I apologize.

Michael

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Unga,
They may but you'd need a proper loading dock, not a come-along hanging from a tree like up in Raymond

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'll be glad to help, too, including crate-building. I'm closer than Raymond, and I am going to Massachusetts on Saturday.

And if this falls through, I'd take the Bridgeport....

I'm sorry to hear about your loss of your Dad.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh - Back away from my deal... :)

Just kidding -

It's just the head from the Bridgeport - I've got a Van Norman 16 horizontal/vertical mill that I love (massive compared to a bridgeport), rigid as all hell and you can use it in either horizontal mode with an arbor or vertical mode, or anywhere in between, but it doesn't have a quill so it's knee crank only for drilling, boring, etc.

I've been looking for a separate head to put on it that does have a quill and the M head is just about perfect. Really a combo of R and M heads would be perfect - R8 spindle but weight like an M head. Can't have everything - MT2 or Jacobs 7 taper is likely what the M head is, but that's fine.

I'll let you guys know when/if I hear from the guy.

And thanks for the condolences -

Michael

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
BFD pick up some parts for me. If you see anything I need. Cash is in hand.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Evil
What are you looking for? I don't know the first thing about machine tools so I'd need specifics

·
Registered
569 Posts
Michael,
Well while we've got your attention, what is the best email for you, I'd like to get a pertronix from you...or you can use this as an order...pm/email me off list for address

That's a bummer about your dad, I'm very sorry..

dch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the condolences on dad. It was a real shocker - healthy as a horse, turning 70 in april. Mom and Dad snowbird in Yuma for the winter - had just gotten down there, got the flu, got pneumonia, got admitted to the hospital, got admitted to ICU, developed Acute Respitory Distress Syndrome, lungs not working right - put on a ventilator, kidneys failed, everything else failed, gone. Just like that. Still hard to believe it's real.

As far as email [email protected] is as good as any. I really should set up a special orders email that sorts itself into a separate folder so I can keep track. I get <way> too many emails/day to keep up with, and it's really easy to forget and/or lose track of who I've replied to, so if you don't get a reply in a few days/week try again. Add to that a regular day job, disabled wife, 15 yo kid, etc etc and it means people generally think I'm impossible to get ahold of.... :)

I'm ordering a batch of Pertronix triggers today/monday depending on how the day goes, so I'll have a new batch shortly (I'm out right now). I've still got plenty of the nose adaptors made up. What size do you need? (10mm (160, most sloper 175) or 11mm (vert 175)?

I have been able to get out in the shop semi-regularly and make stuff - I've got a small batch of swingarm bushings done and some really trick upper fairing stays - if I get a chance I'll post a picture.

Michael

1 - 13 of 13 Posts