Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a close friend ask me tonight if I could help him put his VTR on ebay, as he's the sort of guy who doesn't know what the internet is. Luckily Shawn knows how to twirl a spanner.

Thought i'd share this one. Some people hate it, some love it but it's got an interesting story.

Shawn built the thing over 5 years as a concept bike to take to honda. A 'sports cruiser' he tagged it as. Honda Aus loved it, but someone in Honda US didn't take a fancy. Tried to make everything look stock, even the welds after he changed the spars on the frame.

He asked for the parts bin and honda Aus gave him the parts he needed!

Bike exif over even threw it up on their site. Didn't get a response one would want, but I'd put allot of that down to hipster douchebag types who dream of deus shirts and people looking at them.

10 bob dog points for anyone who can spot the one non-honda part used on the bike.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Big Bad Bob Dog

Obviously your friend has put a lot of effort into this bike, but to be honest it looks like a bad photoshop mix of parts that don't belong together. The tank, radiator covers, headlight and seat unit just don't match at all.

Sorry if that offends, but I'm not gonna lie.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by hillsy

quote:Originally posted by Big Bad Bob Dog
Obviously your friend has put a lot of effort into this bike, but to be honest it looks like a bad photoshop mix of parts that don't belong together. The tank, radiator covers, headlight and seat unit just don't match at all.

Sorry if that offends, but I'm not gonna lie.

Not offended at all. I don't think these photos do it justice. Up close it looks like it fits quite well. Nothing like the shot from the sides which illuminates the wall and darkens the negitive space within the frame. Each to their own.

Judey, the head light/fairing assembly is actually the VTR cut down and glassed to shape.

Kurlon, The louvered plate in front of the tank is off some other region of some other honda, cut to size and made to fit.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Wrong bike...

But why the hell would you chop and lower that bike? Take a sweet handling, lightweight twin sportbike with a great engine, and lower it? Ug. What a waste.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, he built the thing as a concept bike using parts honda had readily available. Honda could build the thing allot better, and make it look better. That was the point.

It rides and handles beautifully IMHO, and compared with the standard VTR it's allot comfier over long distances.

I wasn't a huge fan of the standard VTR looks, but the SP1/2 were just plain sexy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts