Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned an Arai helmet as they were always more than I wanted to spend in a lid. I have owned AGV and HJC helmets. I have found a local deal on the Corsair V which is the Rx7 GP euro helmet. The helmet is in excellent condition owned by a responsible adult and took very good care of. I am in the market and have been looking at $200 and under lids but I can grab this helmet for a little less. The Arai mentioned was $800+- new and I would like to try one. All I have ever heard about Arai is they are very good helmets but pricey. What are your thoughts on the Arai vs $200 range new helmets?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I dont care how responsible someone is with a lid i would never buy and use a second hand unit.
Bit like sex toys really once used by others i tend to steer well clear.

Spend the money to protect the one and only brain you have in that fairly fragile skull of yours.... .

I bet you spent thousands on your bike, why the fuck cheap out on the single most important bit of kit?

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Arai is a good helmet, and the Corsair is an excellent model, but buying used can be dodgy not just for head funk but also just being dropped. The only thing I can say is make sure you look at the certification and see it has the most recent one and take the lining out and look at the Styrofoam for breaks or dents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arai is a good helmet, and the Corsair is an excellent model, but buying used can be dodgy not just for head funk but also just being dropped. The only thing I can say is make sure you look at the certification and see it has the most recent one and take the lining
out and look at the Styrofoam for breaks or dents.
Right on geeto i may still go look at it. I can just buy new interior lining and cheek pads no biggy there. I also found a NOS one for $475. I

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
you can wash interior linings too, I'm talking about the the impact sub structure and the sweat and funk that gets into the cracks and crevices. Usually some disinfectant spray takes care of it. I find it funny people will complaint about used helmets but will still wear rented bowling shoes to go bowling, which is way more unhygienic.

Honestly, if it was a well cared for Arai, less than 2 years old, and like $150 I'd buy it. I can't justify the price of a new one even at $400 - so $800 is crazytown.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Arai is a great choice if its the right shape for your head. I never regretted purchasing mine new. I clean mine as needed as most all cloth and padding are removable. A regularly used helmet in my experience at 2 to 3 years is about ready for replacement as fit loosens and movable parts start to get sloppy. One thing with Arai is you can order replacement vents which is helpful when they no longer index or just break apart from use.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Right on. I will look at the AVG K3 SV lids again then. Love the Rossi graphics anyway.
I just bought one of these for track days. I was surprised when it showed up, it's pretty nice for $175 new (closeout price). Not as nice as a Shoei GT Air but at about 1/3 the cost... I was worried it would feel heavy compared to the Shoei but it's surprisingly light.

Sportbike Track Gear has a bunch of stuff on closeout right now. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather buy a cheapish new helmet than a used helmet.
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/agv-k3-helmets/

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
All I have ever heard about Arai is they are very good helmets but pricey. What are your thoughts on the Arai vs $200 range new helmets?
Chances are you will never use what the helmet was intended for....to save your life in the event of an accident. What you will use it for is hours and hours of riding comfort and for that alone there is no other choice than a Arai.....in my opinion. And the difference between a $200 helmet and a $600 helmet is not as cost prohibitive as say a $20000 truck to a $60000 truck.....it's just a little more saving money.

These helmets for me and my wife cost about half as much as the bike. I ride with $25000 goldwing guys and they wear cheapo HJCs....go figure.

20170730 Palomar Mountain C1 1409-4K.jpg

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
If we are talking about "long distance comfort", then I recommend any carbon fiber helmet that is Snell or ECE rated. I bought dad an HJC AC-12 carbon when they first came out and used to borrow it all the time because it was just so freaking light. Really took all the fatigue out of holding your head up because it was easily half as light if not more than any other helmet I have worn. I liked it so much I bought one which promptly got stolen off my bike and I didn't replace it because at the time it was a $300 helmet (now it is $400).

Seriously, if you get the chance go try on a carbon fiber helmet. You won't believe how much lighter it is, how much faster you can turn your head, and how much less your neck hurts holding your head up on a sport bike.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Cheap helmets can be OK - I've had a HJC and a Shark in the recent past and they were pretty good.

The main thing is they have to FIT PROPERLY first of all. Some Shoei's just simply don't fit my head, so they are out of the equation when I go shopping.

Which leads to the fact that you need to go to a shop or two and try a bunch on. You cant do this stuff on-line.

Pretty much all helmets nowadays have removable linings but for the reasons stated above I would steer clear of 2nd hand ones.

·
Registered
767 Posts
User test report.

I've had 3 Arai Corsair helmets.

Crash 1 - At about 120mph at Prenois Pouas Curve, down and out. Ripped the visor off and cracked the helmet right through the chin guard which hit a track kerb whilst sliding face down, I was already out cold after the high side. Still here, a little crazier though.

Crash 2 - At about 60mph at Spa Malmady Corner, lost the bike on entry and wore a flat on the helmet about 4" round and through the casing, I got tangled and pinned by the bike.

Crash 3 - Not happened yet, but I bought another Corsair.

As someone said you've only got one head.

Foot note - I will never sell a helmet either crashed or straight, I always cut the chins straps out and remove the lining and then into the bin they go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts