Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When arcing shoes, I've understood and been doing so as follows... 1. Remove wheel, drum, etc... 2. Line drum with 80grit sticky sandpaper 3. Replace old shoes with new shoes 4. Put everything back together as though you were putting the bike on the road, wheel back on bike, spin wheel while applying brake to align drum, then spin wheel while applying brake to "arc" the shoes.

Have I been doing this correctly? I was thinking, do I need to go to all the trouble of re-installing everything or can I "manually" arc the shoes without putting everything back together?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
When I have installed new shoes on my cb, I've only taken 100 - 80 grid sandpaper and slightly sanded the leading and trailing edge of the shoes. I have to believe that new drum shoes should be somewhat curved already. From what your describing sounds a little over kill..

My thoughts only..

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
When I have installed new shoes on my cb, I've only taken 100 - 80 grid sandpaper and slightly sanded the leading and trailing edge of the shoes. I have to believe that new drum shoes should be somewhat curved already. From what your describing sounds a little over kill..

My thoughts only..

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
That method would work certainly. The accepted method is to mount the shoes on the backing plate, mount on a lathe and turn the shoes round to match the ID of the drum minus about .010-.020".

But yeah, your method should work.

And yes, arc'd shoes work way, way better than just putting in the shoes as they come out of the box.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
That method would work certainly. The accepted method is to mount the shoes on the backing plate, mount on a lathe and turn the shoes round to match the ID of the drum minus about .010-.020".

But yeah, your method should work.

And yes, arc'd shoes work way, way better than just putting in the shoes as they come out of the box.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
241 Posts
I second JohnnyB - shoes arc'd correctly work <way> better. Just throwing them in you'll likely have half the shoe or less contacting the drum.

Correct setup on the linkage is critical too.

Michael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts