Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im building up a 76 CB750F. im going to put roller bearings in the steering head and i came across a kit for the swing arm. never thought of that. whats the idea behind them and do they work? worth it?

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i converted em in my cb350. bmws have had them for years and the service life is something like a bizzilion miles. worth it? pretty much every modern sportbike has them. in the shock mounting points too. the easier you can pivot, the better. chances are, youll never have to replace them if you keep shit out of them.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
from scratch....msc bearings off the shelf. and i made the inner races myself from aircooled steel with the proper od for the bearings id. cut the steel to length, then bored it for the skewer. then a thrust bearing for the outside, then i used the stock end caps/dust seals. cost me like 45 bucks in parts but a few nights at the lathe. if you have a decent machinist at your disposal, they could do it easy. or if you know what youre doing its a cake walk. but i was learning as i was going. its pretty cool. but you cant see any of it in there.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh, youll also need a metric drill for the skewer. i got one from mcmaster and i think it was like 15 bucks or something. i used it twice.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
im building up a 76 CB750F. im going to put roller bearings in the steering head and i came across a kit for the swing arm. never thought of that. whats the idea behind them and do they work? worth it?

yes they are worth it. where did you see the kit for the swingarm? I am curious since I know most of who sells this stuff out there.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dynoman has them. where do you get them? i would like to get the swing arm and steering bearings in one shot and if you know someone that has then ill just get the parts from them.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
z1 enterprises:

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1510

they stock everything. I am not sure now, but they used to give a discount to SOHC4.us members. They have it all though, neck bearings and swinger bearings.

I was asking because even though Z1 is pretty fair in their pricing the needle bearing kit is still expensive.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
you cant make it for that much.

thats cheap! i would have done that in a minute if it would have fit my 350.

that kit looks exactly like what i made.

me

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I'm not a big fan of needle bearings over good bushing...but hell for that price it's a no brainer. I'd definitely buy that kit.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the $75 isnt that much? i saw it from dynoman of alittle less.
i guess ill just go for it....its only money. funny how i started this build to be a mild cafe beater and now its going to me a fully built CR750 cafe. everything is being gone though weather it needed it or not. i just can help myself

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
so the $75 isnt that much? i saw it from dynoman of alittle less.
i guess ill just go for it....its only money. funny how i started this build to be a mild cafe beater and now its going to me a fully built CR750 cafe. everything is being gone though weather it needed it or not. i just can help myself

I'm glad that cb750 is finding a good home. As far as bearings go the kit is not expensive, but $75 is a chunk of change to drop on any service item - but I am a cheap bastard sometimes.

Edited by - geeto67 on Aug 13 2007 6:30:47 PM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts