Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So Iv'e been thinkin of all the crap I could buy with this refund money the good ole USA is stealing for us next month. And the one thing that is really stickin out to me is a new bike. Is anyone else thinkin about this???? I mean, with the money I get back(after my wife has had her fair(unfair)share), I could still do a low budget 350!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just bought a new project, so my refund money is going into that! Can't wait to get started on it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Two kids in University.......what do you think???

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Lee,

I heard you stopped in Revzilla to buy a helmet. Whattya think of the Rev'it! Silica Ladies Leather Jacket (Black-White) they have on display? I know, I know.....it's a shameless plug disguised in a harmless question.

Funny that we have started to travel in the same circles.

Cheers,

Tex

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wife and my refund is goiong straight to the bank...Now my buddy, his refund may be coming my way to complete a bike/cash transaction. some of that money go towards cb350 stimulus package to get the thing up to code. and some of that will probably end up in the bank as well. Gotta keep local black market motorcycle economy strong as well.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
My refund check last year was the down payment on my Ducati S1K (along with the proceeds of the SO's bike sale). This year it is going toward housing (hopefully a down payment but more likely a new apartment).

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
New windows, bunk beds for my sons, new kitchen table, pay off this new computer. New EPCO mufflers were in the budget before I smashed up my Thunderbird. Any bike money I'm lucky enough to see from those checks now will most likely be for repairs, not something fun. The Lovely Sue is now starting to hint that I should start eBaying some spares from my 350 project to finance Triumph repair. One minor crash takes all the fun out of free government money.

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BANDIT

Two kids in University.......what do you think???
Bandit, I am assigning you as an official HERO OF THE DAY from here in Oakland, CA. Me mom and da helped put me through university, too, and I am grateful.

May your kids reward you someday with a new set of custom stainless exhaust headers upon their graduating into gainful employment!

Me? I owed on my taxes this year, so that takes a dent out of my restoration project, which still proceeds apace:

·
Registered
204 Posts
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

Lee,

I heard you stopped in Revzilla to buy a helmet. Whattya think of the Rev'it! Silica Ladies Leather Jacket (Black-White) they have on display? I know, I know.....it's a shameless plug disguised in a harmless question.

Funny that we have started to travel in the same circles.

Cheers,

Tex
ahhhh get outta here! haha actually i ordered that jacket today!

but i'm sure you already knew that..

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I was going to put mine in my IRA, but they purposely timed it so you wouldn't have it in time for your '07 contribution. Here's something I very recently learned; If you forget to fund your IRA by the cutoff date the only legal remedy is to file an ammended return and lose the deduction.

The whole stimulus package thing has an Orwellian feel about it to me, a tiny monetary handjob to distract the public. I mean six hundred bucks, big deal, my health insurance has gone up more than that this year. My flood insurance has gone up more than that since the federal government got blindsided by Katrina. It's not even like it's a campaign to encourage things that might be beneficial long-term. Like say maybe "Here's some cash, pay down your credit cards", or "Why don't you start a college fund for your kids". It's more like "Go buy some shit you don't need so you can feel good about it for approximately 24 hours".

I'm going to buy a new helmet and gloves with mine. I see a lot of brain damage in the world. In general it doesn't seem to be caused by motorcycle accidents, but a new lid can't hurt none the less. And since I mainly work with my hands and it looks like I may have to work harder in the near future, new gloves seem like a good investment.

How's that for a buzz kill;p

·
Registered
306 Posts
hey shortshift,

i'd like to learn about fiberglassin' , so if you are making any cool shit (seats, tanks, airplane wings, miniature unicorns) let me know!

hey ratty, i'll take your stimulus package if you don't want it...im all about free handjobs!

finally,

im gonna take my tax money and head straight to walmart, where i'll buy the biggest kiddie pool they have, and like 10 buckets of generic ice cream. it's gonna be a good summer!!!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
lee,

yes my crystal ball sees all cb350 activity in the tri-state area.

let me know what you think of your jacket!

[email protected]

cheers,

tex

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

The whole stimulus package thing has an Orwellian feel about it to me, a tiny monetary handjob to distract the public. I mean six hundred bucks, big deal, my health insurance has gone up more than that this year. My flood insurance has gone up more than that since the federal government got blindsided by Katrina. It's not even like it's a campaign to encourage things that might be beneficial long-term. Like say maybe "Here's some cash, pay down your credit cards", or "Why don't you start a college fund for your kids". It's more like "Go buy some shit you don't need so you can feel good about it for approximately 24 hours".
It didn't work the last time they did it I don't know why the government thinks it will work again...

Last time it was called "reganomics" and it came in a different form (a massive tax break instead of free money) but the principle behind both is the same - give people money and hope they use it shortsightedly. It didn't work last time because americans carry too much debt (even in the 1980s) and it won't work this time...but I am not exactly going to turn down free money. Yes they timed it so you miss the cutoff of the IRA but they don't want people doing anything lasting with the money.

That being said I suppose you could have filed early and take the money from your refund to put in your IRA and then used the government "bribe" to replace what you took from your return...that is if you got money back.

the thread just got very depressing.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

quote:Originally posted by jbranson

Anyone else spending their refund on crack? Or am I the only one?
JohnnyB
Nope, just hookers this time.
that is still...technically speaking....a form of crack

1 - 20 of 25 Posts