Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so there i was out riding having a great time, when all of the sudden i thought i felt a rain drop on my arm. hmmm...but with no clouds in the sky i thought to myself surely this could not be rain. so i went upon my merry way until i felt another. the short story is that my valve cover is leaking.

when i got home i pulled out the wrench to try and give the valve cover bolt a little snug, but it is striped. i pulled out the cover bolt and the threads on the bolt are beautiful. so my question is do i heli coil it, or do i suck it up and pick up a new (to me) camshaft holder?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
helicoil it will never strip again

Ken

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 on the helicoil. Something additional to consider, were you to get a new cam holder, it wouldn't be mated to your camshaft like the old one is now.

-mark

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 on the helicoil. Something additional to consider, were you to get a new cam holder, it wouldn't be mated to your camshaft like the old one is now.

-mark

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
mark is absolutely correct. be really careful drilling it for th thelicoil too. keep the metal shards out of the hole. really take your time. ive done them before though.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
mark is absolutely correct. be really careful drilling it for th thelicoil too. keep the metal shards out of the hole. really take your time. ive done them before though.

jc

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FANTASTIC!! thanks guys, my father in law is a machinest and said that he would take care of the drilling. i have done these on things like drain plugs on Hondas (alluminum oil pan/ steel plug) and was worried that they might not be meant for this type of problem. good to know that they will hold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts