Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You put a lot more time into it than I did... but yeah, it's not ideal... I didn't want to venture down the path though, which turned out to be the right choice considering your vid plots out what I was only guessing at.

I can't help myself either though. After this, on a differnt forum I found someone using the line that higher octane gasoline burns slower to control knock. Pet peeve of mine, that makes no sense at all (and isn't true) so I posted up some links from fuel companies addressing it. I've mostly learned to just let it lie when I see it, but some days ya just can't help yourself.

Worst part was, insead of digging up all the same sources again, I just reposted somethign I put togtehr a long time ago. Long enoguh ago none of the links work anymore... oops.

Anywhos, yeah, I know where you're coming from. Sometimes you know it's wasted time but just have to do ti anyway.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The problem is that people post asking for opinions or input, but they're really just looking for people to tell them how awesome they are.

I appreciate the work you put into your video. Good information for others.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'd feel better about leaving it alone if most of the bikes I see being chopped up like that were done with the intention to "flip" them. It just ruins shit for people like me who actually spend a lot of time designing things to work right and NOT to fail, so I can sleep at night not worrying about a bike I built killing someone. Some people just don't seem to have that problem.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
[
I guess I'd feel better about leaving it alone if most of the bikes I see being chopped up like that were done with the intention to "flip" them. It just ruins shit for people like me who actually spend a lot of time designing things to work right and NOT to fail, so I can sleep at night not worrying about a bike I built killing someone. Some people just don't seem to have that problem.
you need to get over it, used to piss me off when someone took a “standard”/“classic” / “sportbike” of the 70’s and 80’s and chopped it up turning it in to a pile. had to let it go. im not in the buissness like you so the resale bit doesnt bother me either, i just know junk when i see it( most of the time). i do like it when someone “cafe”s a custom, L, special, shadow, virago etc etc, never a big fan of those custom models and if builders wreck em, no harm done. let the guy finish his bike. either youll hear a “ i told you so” or most likely never hear from him again if his bike turns crap.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
the more these bikes get chopped up, the more valuable mine become

Reactions: dirkchecken

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[ you need to get over it, used to piss me off when someone took a “standard”/“classic” / “sportbike” of the 70’s and 80’s and chopped it up turning it in to a pile. had to let it go. im not in the buissness like you so the resale bit doesnt bother me either, i just know junk when i see it( most of the time). i do like it when someone “cafe”s a custom, L, special, shadow, virago etc etc, never a big fan of those custom models and if builders wreck em, no harm done. let the guy finish his bike. either youll hear a “ i told you so” or most likely never hear from him again if his bike turns crap.
I'm more concerned about when his bike kills some dude and that's the last straw before the government bans altering motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
government bans altering motorcycles.
a lot more (bad) has got to happen before that. i live in NJ , and we dont even have state inspections. people ride around in the daytime without any kind of lights, never mind there not on, i mean no lights, directionals etc, and if the goverment does ban altering motorcycles? is that so bad? most of the stock/new bikes that come out of factory look good to me. might teach people to leave stuff alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems to me that there is an easy fix (to the bike, not the builder). I am guessing that by raising the bike end of the shock mount that a constant rate, maybe even a rising rate could be achieved.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on geometry improvements.

·
Registered
889 Posts
if the angle between the lines from swingarm pivot to swingarm shock mount and swingarm shock mount to frame shock mount is less than 90 degrees, and increases (moves closer to 90 degrees) as the shock compresses, that will give a progressive rate. as that bike is now, the angle is less than 90, but decreases as it travels, so is digressive.

people get cantiliever shock locations wrong all the time. the danmoto bike build here was the same, but not as bad. or like the guys who have the shock almost vertical.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
great video. the reality is, he doesn't give a shit and he'll tell himself and anyone who listens that it's a great idea. and if he puts a progressive spring on it it'll help, but i'm not sure that he's got the ability to interpret that concept..
the problem with progressive springs is the damping rate stays the same, so handling the progressive wheel to shock ratio in the geometry is the only way to keep the damping and spring constant at the same ratio, that's way above the heads of most "builders", but it's a good thing to think about, especially if one wants to avoid suspension tuning nightmares down the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts