Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I guess the term `build` has caused a debate. It does make me cringe when I read about someone dbeing escibed as a`bike builder` though.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Maybe time to change the name of the forum category titled "Project Builds" ...... just saying....

Or maybe add one for the pipe wrap hacksaw fraternity. (Sorry if I offended anyone who owns a hacksaw or uses pipe wrap).

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Its just unfortunate that anyone can go out and buy a hacksaw, which is a great tool by the way, plus a grinder and header wrap. Like most things in life, just needs to be used responsibly :)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
You dont have to make everything.... However opening up a catalog and ordering parts to decorate your 1970's honda and or fabricating a shitty seat for the same 70's honda is
no reason to go around calling yourself a motorcycle "builder"
I totally get that point, but that is exactly what we all did back in the day. We never used the word "builder" etc. We customized our bikes straight out of teh Dunstall/Bill Chuck/Curley/Sondel Sport/Read Titan/Unity/Burton Bike bits/etc catalogues.

Oddly enough, back in the day on the UK, cash was hard to come by so it too time to save up enough to buy those parts, so we did it one part at a time. Few of us had the skills to make or modify much of anything - even back then.

I suspect teh "Builder/maker" BS arose because today in the US, most people can afford to buy shiny stuff, so now it's taken as some sort of mark of respect that people make stuff. And that brings us to the pint where guys like Hoof and Monkey are skilled at what they do and teh rest of teh hipster hack jobs think that if they "make" something, that automatically gives them credibility and that people will see them as experts or craftsmen or whatever affirmative title they are looking for.

Some of us have always been too broke to buy much of anything and do take pride in making or modifying things. I'm sure that represents some sort of disorder, but I'm OK with that. Time to get back in the shop and work out which parts of which cranks will be sent out to Bill Bune to make one good crank out of.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Its just unfortunate that anyone can go out and buy a hacksaw, which is a great tool by the way, plus a grinder and header wrap. Like most things in life, just needs to be used responsibly :)
I agree with you Mark. Hacksaws are a great tool. I have a few, and have used them millions of times, but still haven't mastered the art of making a perfect cut every time. Harder than it looks for me anyway. Maybe better quality blades would help. Some times I think they should only be sold to those properly licensed and trained. Scary what has been done to some motorcycles. As for header wrap, personally I think it only belongs upstream of the turbo. I know there are folks out there that have a different point of view on header wrap and there are there are things that I like on a motorcycle, from a styling point of view that others would probably find strange.
I suppose header wrap is ok if used responsibly.... kind of like fishnet stockings or tights.:)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So how do you guys feel about the title of the "Project Build" section of the forum then? :)
It's generally accepted and understood hobbyist terminology within the motorcycle enthusiast community ... and has been forever...

You can change it to "bike projects" or something, and while you're at it, change the entire site name to "vintageperformace" dot net ect. ....because "caferacer" makes about the same amount of sense as " builds " .............. just 'sayin :p

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I don't see a problem with the title "project build". Build, assemble, bolt on, etc. It all means the same thing. Not everyone has a fully equipped shop. I have an angle grinder that can do most everything but it can't tig weld, So a neighbor does the aluminum welding for me. The rest I do with an ancient Montgomery Ward stick welder. The angle grinder is also a lousy lathe. But I have another friend who has a lathe. I suppose if you wanted to boil it down there aren't too many on here that make their engines from scratch and on up from there. But today with 1-800-sent parts there is little incentive to spend hours in the garage making a part. Unless, of course, you're like a lot of us and permanently broke. Or you want to stand out. Or no one makes the part you need so you have to make it yourself. As Teazer posted even way back in the early days there was Dunstall, Chuck etc. for parts to "build" your special. For me its do what you can with what you got and enjoy what you do.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with you Mark. Hacksaws are a great tool. I have a few, and have used them millions of times, but still haven't mastered the art of making a perfect cut every time. Harder than it looks for me anyway. Maybe better quality blades would help. Some times I think they should only be sold to those properly licensed and trained. Scary what has been done to some motorcycles. As for header wrap, personally I think it only belongs upstream of the turbo. I know there are folks out there that have a different point of view on header wrap and there are there are things that I like on a motorcycle, from a styling point of view that others would probably find strange.
I suppose header wrap is ok if used responsibly.... kind of like fishnet stockings or tights.:)[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention it, but I've struggled for ever to get a straight cut with a hacksaw even with the Blue 18tpi Eclipse Blades made in my old home town in the north of England. Been using them since I was a kid.

Bought some Black Eclipses last week and they cut straight. Must be new Technology:confused:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I`ve got a couple of Draper type hacksaws and they cut on the piss every time, no matter how much will power I focus onto the cut, even with gold coloured, expensive blades. Its like a battle of wills and the blade gets its own way most of the time doesnt it.

The best saw I ever had was a Snap-on hack saw which had a chunky square profile and that would cut straight or on target every time.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Money? What money? That's why I started making things for myself.... cause I had no money
My Dad plastered houses for a living. There was never any spare money. I learned very early in life that if I wanted something I had to figure out how to make it myself. I still work that way and a lot of the stuff I make is crude by comparison to a CNCed piece. Most of the shit for the sidecar I have to make anyway for the simple reason that no one makes them. I'd like to ask a question. Does anyone out there HATE having to go to someone to get something done? I hate and I mean absolutely hate having to stand there while my neighbor weld some aluminum for me. I can't afford a tig welder so he does it (and he does it with enthusiasm) for me. But I hate standing there with my hands in my pocket while he welds. Just drives me crazy. To the point where I'd almost rather do without the part.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Funny you should mention it, but I've struggled for ever to get a straight cut with a hacksaw even with the Blue 18tpi Eclipse Blades made in my old home town in the north of England. Been using them since I was a kid.

Bought some Black Eclipses last week and they cut straight. Must be new Technology:confused:[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I think it's like the stoke of a billiard cue or god forbid a golf swing. Has to be consistent every time.... feel really awkward and you have to hold your tongue just the right way.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
My Dad plastered houses for a living. There was never any spare money. I learned very early in life that if I wanted something I had to figure out how to make it myself. I still work that way and a lot of the stuff I make is crude by comparison to a CNCed piece. Most of the shit for the sidecar I have to make anyway for the simple reason that no one makes them. I'd like to ask a question. Does anyone out there HATE having to go to someone to get something done? I hate and I mean absolutely hate having to stand there while my neighbor weld some aluminum for me. I can't afford a tig welder so he does it (and he does it with enthusiasm) for me. But I hate standing there with my hands in my pocket while he welds. Just drives me crazy. To the point where I'd almost rather do without the part.
I absolutely despise having to get someone else to do things... most of the time.
It's hard to find someone good, although they are out there. When you do find someone, half the time they don't return phone calls. Lots of time it arrives and it's ok, but should be better quality. I mean really.... if someone is doing something for a living, I kind of figure it should be better than what I can cobble together in my back yard. I know I'm fussy and perhaps sound like I'm a pain in the ass to deal with, but geez. On the up side, when I need something done, I look at the cost. If it something I can learn to do and the cost of the equipment isn't out of reach..... usually, I'll take a stab at it. That how I got into doing restorations on wood boats and upholstery. I know there are lots of thing that I don't have the skill to do that I wish I did... like making an alloy tank for starters.

As for the TIG welder, it's on my wish list too. I have the MIG, but.. well you know. Only thing is, as nice as it would be, I'm not sure I would find the time to use a TIG enough to justify the cost.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I'm of the same ilk - I absolute hate having to stand around while other people do stuff for me.

I do find, however, that if I am ever in that situation having a beer in my hand makes things almost tolerable.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Its surprising what can be made with basic tools, but it really is a pain when some things have to be done by others from either lack of skill or tools. You just lose control over things and interpretation can be lost resulting in something that heads straight for the bin.

I could write a list for kit I would love to have, but cant either justify or afford (usually this) buying it for what Im doing. Id probably end up being the bloke doing it for someone else if I did have it. I was brought up to be resourceful, with a make-do and mend attitude which has stood me in good stead. A lot of the expense on my project has been funded from deals here and there, so money not really noticed and in one hand then out of the other. We always want more though!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts