Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I build my new racer I have toyed with the idea of switching from Avon Road Runner Universals to the Dunlops that I have seen many of you running. Any feedback? Who has run both and what are your feelings on both brands?????

Champ

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input!!
I have had excellent results with the Avons. The only drawback I can come up with is the rear tends to get REAL choppy on the edges. With my lean angle I get right to the edge,edge-did I say edge of the profile of the tire. The rear gets scallopy and can feel greasy at times. I also run low tire pressures to squat out the profile.
JB I never experienced the issues you brought up(cracking and out of round) and I have gone thru 1/2 dozen sets 80/90-18 & 90/90-18 must be the Irish luck I have!!!

Champ

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From Bob Coy. Pretty Funny!!!

With the speeds of that bike and your riding style I would go for the Cheng Shin tires. Something like the C-199H.. It says RUGGED, BLACKWALL PERFORMANCE and it is rated for 130mph. At $15.95 each you can keep changing tires all day like the pro's. As a former 250 champ you have nothing to prove by winning again..just let the bike slide like REAl GP riders do. You don't need to get technical with tire pressures and let those others mess with your mind.

Champ

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JohnnyB,

Indeed you are correct about Steve. He and I have raced together for the past 10 years or so. We had some really good battles-I would say we're 50/50 with win/loses against each other. He has picked up the pace as of late and I had some really good-clean battles with him this past season.

Champ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.