Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so you have the cafe bike do you get the helmet and goggles too as a hoot or do you just look silly.I see carpy uses the old school helmet and googles I dont see any cafers on the roads.Im just wondering do many use them I cannt see Geeto using them but maybe a few other extroverts here do the dress up ....just curious.

the movie of late where those yuppys wear them may have dampened my spirit for them .But its a get up the bike the helmet and the space alien fiftys googles...or world war 2 style googles.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When my bike is done, I am totally wearing the old school helmet and goggles... hell I may even wear a scarf too.

I think it goes back to a toy motorcycle (cafe)racer I had as a kid, I want to look like that guy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My brother has a Davida pudding bowl that is pretty funny for goofing around but as someone who has had his fair share of crashes, nothing beats a quality full face helmet. My personal choice is an Arai Quantum F Haga replica the older model.
pete

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I just picked up an Arai Vector Phill Reed replica!
I also have one of the old style pudding bowls that'll be painted up to match....may possibly be used around town but I too like a bit of protection for real riding.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i have the davida jet. it looks great, sitting on the bookcase in my living room. i use it very rarely as it requires goggles, or glasses. i prefer a good fullface helmet myself. like has been said, a good faceplant, and you'll wish you had the fullface. however, i will say, it is fun to occasionally bomb around town with the davida. our friend tom t uses his davida puddin bowl about 90% of the time. but theres something wrong with him.

jc

·
Registered
453 Posts
if i could get one of those helmets that carpy uses in my size i'd wear one in a heartbeat, as for the goggles? yes to those too if i can find some cool ones that go over my glasses. i wear a size xxxl helmet........at least. size 8 1/2 hat. i have a full face i got to wear when the temp goes below 45 but thats the only time that damn thing gets worn, i'm too clausterphobic for one.

Edited by - fuzzybutt on Jun 21 2007 12:44:47 AM

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Usually my riding gear is a set of RAF repro glass goggles (with shatterproof glass) and an "old timer" styled half helmet. My other helmet, which is too hot to wear in the summer, is a Davida Jet (3/4 helmet) Mike Hailwood replica with american avaitor goggles. I used to have a nose art jacket that ("sack time" nose art on a B-24 south pacific theater style black leather) fit in my highschool days but alas it no longer does. I do wear scarfs with this getup in the winter since it hurts to turn your head in the cold. I do have full face helmets too but I find that I don't use them as often as I used to.

When I lived in new orleans, we used to have a vietnam era crash helmet from an F-4 phantom. One of the guys in the shop wired it so the intercom worked with a headphone jack so you could use your mp3 player or cellphone (the mike actually worked) but it was cool enough just to ride around with. When I got to new york I looked up what they cost in a surplus store and bugged out at the price (most wanted $250-$350). It was too much to spend for what is essentially a novelty helmet (no real crash protection - I found out later that pilots wore them so that any loose stuff in the cockpit would not hit them in the head while they were in combat, nobody was expecting they would protect your melon in a crash).

this is standard putz around town riding ware for me (sans tires of course). This pic was taken in december of 06:

BTW - Those davida pudding bowl helmets are cork lined and really are for show and not good for a wreck. Nevermind all the implications of an unprotected face, if you are in a wreck with one where the blunt force will fracture your skull, the cork will reverberate and instead of causing a localized fracture will basically cause a roadmap of tiny fractures all around your skull. This is one of the reasons cork lined helmets pretty much died out as soon as styrafoam became available. the Davida jet however is foam lined and DOT legal.

Edited by - geeto67 on Jun 21 2007 09:16:49 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
kudos for knowing the real name of the michelen man (too bad I can't spell).

Funny story about those tires. They are rare as hell T500 original redline tires uncracked but in used shape. When I bought my T500 the previous owner had taken them off and forgot to tell me about them. When he was cleaning up he found them and gave them to me. Have you ever seen a redline motorcycle tire? Rosko stored them for me and that pic was taken the night I picked them up from rosko. What you can't see is the backpack in the back taking up all the slack and also which made them hella hard to get off later. Eventually I had to back up to a dumpster hook one side of the tires on the edge and pull them up over my head (imagine a giant human bottle of beer and you get the idea).

BTW - notice the c1986 sportbike riding gauntlets and faux 1970's cafe racer style leather jacket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm on the hunt for a 70's style full face guy, like something you'd wear on your mini bike, but with a fishbowl like bob log. I'm a retard...

Edited by - R1FIGHTER on Jun 21 2007 11:46:31 AM

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i bought one of the chinese rip offs from a store in town.

you'll find me wearing this helmet fashionably in all seasons except winter. when i probably will rock a full face.
this helmet is usually complimented with a pair of Dickies or dirty jeans. boots in the winter and Saucony's in the summer.
t shirt selection is often as follows...

my lady friends that ride on the back always wear nothing but the best...

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you want a replica fighter pilot helmet, there is a shop in Toronto That has DOT legal replica helmets, I am not sure of the price though. I will see if I can find out the name of the place next time I am there

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I had Geeto's "Sack Time" jacket, too! Bought it when I was in the army (I'd have a pension now if I'd stayed). My brother has it now 'cause he stole it from me. I think it's kinda gay now, and don't admit to many people that I bought it - no offense Geet.

I have a couple Bell full face helmets, but a while ago I bought an nos 1960 model Slazenger open face helmet and I can't stop wearing it! It's significantly quieter than any other helmet I've ever worn, comfortable as hell and just looks so darn cool with red baron style goggles. I also have to admit that I've been riding around town a bit in shorts & t-shirt, with my son on the back similarly attired. I should be ashamed of myself, but it's a pain in the ass to gear up 2 people for a 10 minute errand. At least I always wear gloves, and my boy must have shoes on.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you know its not the helmet... you want, you know .........its the boooob scotch ! not bottled or canned boob scotch boob scotch on the rocks...bah boom bah boom

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts