Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about Hyosung bikes got me to thinking. What makes a "B" List bike? Is it that it is poorly made, unpopular, or poorly distributed/marketed in the country in which we live?

Some of the "off brand" bikes come from the largest manufacturers in the world, but do not have a good distribution system here in the USA.

Now there is also a "D" list of bikes, that are imported here by the container load that are pure crap- though I do not know that first hand but ask someone who bought a pit bike from the internet......

Some bikes I would consider "B" list are-

Hyosung
Vento
Royal Enfield ( but becoming A listers)
Cleveland Cycle Werks
Those made in Taiwan (can't think of brand)
QLink
Ridley Auto Glide

Some of the above may no longer be made, and not missed at all.

What other B, C or D or even F list bikes can you think of?

Back in "the day", the B list bikes came from Japan, now they are gone (Hodakas, tohatsu) or A listers. Then the little Italian bikes became the B list--Garrelli, Gilera, Moto this and Moto that and lots of other ones whose names ended in vowels. Those too are pretty much gone, except for Moto Guzzi and Ducati which are now A+ listers.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
I think B list is something you just came up with. The answer to why some bikes sell more is in the question. Marketing and quality.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Moto guzzi was always A-list, and are now b-list in the United States, don't really know why.
But Moto Guzzi has been around since 1921, and I'd have one of those before lots of other bikes.
Royal Enfield is another that has been around a long time, but sold to.an Indian company in the 50's, and continued to do the same thing they always did until about 2008 when some changes were necessary to continue selling them.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think B list is something you just came up with. The answer to why some bikes sell more is in the question. Marketing and quality.
correct on all counts. Can an excellent bike fail due to poor marketing, while an inferior product succeeds due to great marketing?

One thing I have noticed is that very few "B" list ( yes, I made it up) are ever reviewed or featured in the mainline consumer mags. Is this the fault of the mag or the importer/manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
correct on all counts. Can an excellent bike fail due to poor marketing, while an inferior product succeeds due to great marketing?

One thing I have noticed is that very few "B" list ( yes, I made it up) are ever reviewed or featured in the mainline consumer mags. Is this the fault of the mag or the importer/manufacturer?
A lot of reviews and their results, are based on the amount of advertising the manufacturer buys. Magazines aren't likely to put in print that their biggest advertiser builds crap.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts

One thing you must remember is that every business has a different definition of success, and that even though you may have a top tier product, you might not be interested in serving a huge market. In my very humble opinion on this matter, no, a bad bike will not gain success, but this market is full of people that know their product better than most. For example, the vast majority of car owners are simply consumers. Bike guys are bike guys.

Lack of exposure is almost always the result of the intentions, intensity, or lack thereof on the part of the compay's marketing dept.

Lots of mags will give good reviews for compensation.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Wanna say thanks to Jack C for posting this topic. Seems to be a legitimate and passionate pondering of the industry structure, which is something that really interests me as well. If i wasnt on my phone right now i would expound a bit further on the post above. This is my preferred version of a "bench racing" type of topic, i guess.

So thanks, Jack.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
A lot of reviews and their results, are based on the amount of advertising the manufacturer buys. Magazines aren't likely to put in print that their biggest advertiser builds crap.
Also the availability of test bikes. Quite often manufacturers cant (or choose not to) supply a test bike to a magazine and this obviously affects the reviews.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts