Cafe Racer Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Administrator
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the thread to bitch and moan about the new ownership of the Forum, and the new rules.

Feel free to vent your pent up emotions over decisions made about a forum that you don't own.

However, while you are entitled to your opinion, don't breach the new rules about behaviour.

There use to be a time here on CR.net when pile of crap like that got flamed out of existence.

What happened to you guys?

Everything about that bike is dangerous...... it's dangerous to the owner and its dangerous to motorists around him.
Flaming out of existence doesn't help anything except the fragile egos of the flamer.

Here's a novel idea - try some constructive criticism to give the OP some direction.

But nah...flaming is easier, right?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You didn't ask for advice, you asked for opinions.
Flaming out of existence doesn't help anything except the fragile egos of the flamer.

Here's a novel idea - try some constructive criticism to give the OP some direction.

But nah...flaming is easier, right?
What would be your advice? You told him it has potential so why don't you show those of us with the fragile egos how to help him fix his mess?

·
Administrator
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And honestly, its still getting flamed. Its just in a more "bless your heart" way
Well, there you go. People can make critical comments without it being in-your-face insults and abuse...and since the criticism was reasonably constructive, the OP came back to explain himself.

THAT's what we need here to keep this forum alive and have new members join, stay, contribute and learn.

Not really a difficult concept.

·
Administrator
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You didn't ask for advice, you asked for opinions.

What would be your advice? You told him it has potential so why don't you show those of us with the fragile egos how to help him fix his mess?
Read my reply to CaTacL1sm.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Read my reply to CaTacL1sm.
You didn't address the OP's bike issues in that post.
Some guy joins. His first post is "give me your opinions" on the bike he just screwed up. You think we should politely point out the long list of errors he has made (more likely stupid decisions) and spend our time convincing them that what they have done is not good.
In reality the bike hackers are not interested in what we believe is the purpose in modifying a bike. They have seen a bunch of poorly designed crap on the internet "so it must be right".
If he had said "give me opinions on how to fix this" there would have been positive responses (he recognizes he has a problem). Instead he responds to a comment on his ridiculous seat with "you must be fat if you can't hold yourself on a bike". Having to "hold yourself on a bike" is the first sign of a design problem.
So go ahead, tell him how to fix it.

·
Administrator
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You think we should politely point out the long list of errors he has made (more likely stupid decisions) and spend our time convincing them that what they have done is not good.
Don't like the OP's post - just keep scrolling...and YES, I do expect you to be polite. Be insulting/abusive....see ya.

I see that you are Canadian, so this analogy might not be relevant to your understanding.

If you are in Oz or England, you might have a favourite bar or pub. A lot of your mates meet up there and you have good conversations.

Occasionally, a new guy will try to join the conversation and you all burn him to see if he knows what he's on about.

If he passes your esoteric hazing, then he might be accepted.

But then, the pub gets sold and the new owner says, I want new clientele to keep the pub operating, so please stop the hazing/flaming...I have some new rules.

You say ' fark that' and keep up the previous behaviour...not so suddenly, you are banned from the pub for not obeying the new rules.

Get my drift?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Don't like the OP's post - just keep scrolling...and YES, I do expect you to be polite. Be insulting/abusive....see ya.

I see that you are Canadian, so this analogy might not be relevant to your understanding.

If you are in Oz or England, you might have a favourite bar or pub. A lot of your mates meet up there and you have good conversations.

Occasionally, a new guy will try to join the conversation and you all burn him to see if he knows what he's on about.

If he passes your esoteric hazing, then he might be accepted.

But then, the pub gets sold and the new owner says, I want new clientele to keep the pub operating, so please stop the hazing/flaming...I have some new rules.

You say ' fark that' and keep up the previous behaviour...not so suddenly, you are banned from the pub for not obeying the new rules.

Get my drift?
the new clientele your new owner wants - we'd call them wankers.

your metaphor would suggest this is now a site for wankers. ?

·
Administrator
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scary:eek: We don’t want to run people off so they stick around long enough to ban them haha!
FFS - how simple is it to just go with the new rules?

Here's my prediction: Vertical Scope has already shut down a few 'non-paying' (meaning not active) forums.....do you guys really want that to happen here because this forum is going the way of the Dodo - because of the inherent attitude to new members? I read BS about starting a new forum....ppppfffttt! Is it really that easy? Who's going to pay?

You can avoid that just by accepting that: THE SITE HAS NEW OWNERS AND IT'S NOW THEIR RULES.

I guess that there are other forums (God only knows where) where you can swear, flame, abuse, and belittle new members.

Feel free to find those sites if that behaviour is all you have to offer.

·
Administrator
281 Posts
I seriously don't understand. Was this site better before because you could swear and bully people? THAT is what made this site great? Nothing else has changed.

We have a lot of experience here and some talented fabricators, it is a shame that goes to waste when new comers are run off.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It’s all hearts and balloons and unicorns ...

·
Registered
871 Posts
i think you had a lot of experience here, but it's going because now telling someone their pride and joy is an unsafe, badly modified shitbox is no longer welcome. not everyone get's a prize when there's safety involved.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I seriously don't understand. Was this site better before because you could swear and bully people? THAT is what made this site great?
This statement alone tells me you don't understand the heart and soul of this club/forum.....and why would you?...you and 250 are new here. You made a decent intro....let's see you intro 250. Tell us more about yourselves. Show us pictures of your bikes or projects you've done in the past. Give us a little intro on your bio so we can build-up a camaraderie here.

Listen.....you guys are probably good guys.....guys that I could probably sit around and have a beer and shoot the shit with. And all of us are old enough to understand our club has been bought and sold by vertical scope and that they can do as they wish…. after all it is their place now.....and if we want to continue to play we must oblige by their rules...we get this. Just understand that we are an old crusty salty group…. A lot of the worst offenders are long gone but we are who we are. We made friends here......bought and sold stuff from each other....and I even rode with a member from Oceanside California that I met at a bike show. I've always "shown patronage" to advertisers here. I can't count the Koso items I've purchased. Most here are not of the generation that posts stuff on the internet......expecting everyone to stroke their cocks with praise....then gets upset with an opinion that they don't like or expect. The ones that withstand the hazing come back and become contributing members and the group helps them and even sells them parts and stuff they may need. They contribute themselves and all is great. The ones that get butt hurt and run away after the slightest bit of criticism never wanted to become a contributing member here….and show no interest in learning things..... all they wanted was more folks to masturbate over their projects...nothing else.

·
Administrator
281 Posts
You are right, I don’t understand. I can’t get my head around the idea that a newcomer will only be helped after they endure some degree of abuse.

As far as people expecting us to masturbate over their projects simply for their own gratification, that is true. Most don’t know they have made mistakes. They also don’t know how to fix them and they aren’t going to find out until 5 or 6 members stroke their own egos belittling them.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.