Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away too long. The old TX500 project made it as far as a tear down, then got interrupted and consequently spread across the world via ebay. I still have the motor, carbs and some misc from it.

Just picked up a good running CB360 a couple days ago for my daily this season. No chopping this time! Maybe some lower bars, but that's it. I call it "Half-Dub" because a friend said it sounds like my impression of an air cooled VW.

Everything seems to work fine on Half-Dub except the front brake. Nothing happens there. I attempted to bleed it last night, nothing. Fluid looks dirty so I went to flush it out, but it seems to be pulling dirt up instead of pushing new fluid down. Searching led me to discover these calipers both leak and seize frequently. I think I'll just ditch it and replace the whole system with something newer.

Which brought me back to Caferacer.net. One of you hozers has probably done this already. I can't tell you how hard I've laughed today reading through posts! I'm just going to have to leave the forum up in it's own window from now on. Maybe I'll even contribute!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
get vacu bleeder from harbor freight. hooks to your compressor. those things take forever to bleed with the lever. i mean FOREVER!!!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
get vacu bleeder from harbor freight. hooks to your compressor. those things take forever to bleed with the lever. i mean FOREVER!!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 73tex
I have been away too long.
We'll be the judge of that.
The old TX500 project made it as far as a tear down, then got interrupted and consequently spread across the world via ebay.
Oh, for Christ's sake. Wasn't that bike a runner?
I still have the motor, carbs and some misc from it.
I expect these to arrive at my home via FedEx no later than Friday.
Everything seems to work fine on Half-Dub except the front brake. Nothing happens there. I attempted to bleed it last night, nothing. Fluid looks dirty so I went to flush it out, but it seems to be pulling dirt up instead of pushing new fluid down. Searching led me to discover these calipers both leak and seize frequently. I think I'll just ditch it and replace the whole system with something newer.
For God's sake, man. You attempted to "flush" the system and then gave up? A $30 brake bleeder http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-Brake-Bleeder-Vacuum-Pump-Test-Tuner-Kit-Tools-/290582176188?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item43a80c21bc&vxp=mtr (and maybe some new seals) and you would be back in business. Learn how to fix your existing system first, then maybe later you can start thinking about how to change them and/or adapt a newer system.
Maybe I'll even contribute!
Unless we ban your sorry ass for ruining a perfectly good TX500, and being too weenified to fix your brakes.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have been away too long.
We'll be the judge of that.
The old TX500 project made it as far as a tear down, then got interrupted and consequently spread across the world via ebay.
Oh, for Christ's sake. Wasn't that bike a runner?
I still have the motor, carbs and some misc from it.
I expect these to arrive at my home via FedEx no later than Friday.
For God's sake, man. You attempted to "flush" the system and then gave up? A $30 brake bleeder http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-Brake-Bleeder-Vacuum-Pump-Test-Tuner-Kit-Tools-/290582176188?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item43a80c21bc&vxp=mtr (and maybe some new seals) and you would be back in business. Learn how to fix your existing system first, then maybe later you can start thinking about how to change them and/or adapt a newer system.
Maybe I'll even contribute!
Unless we ban your sorry ass for ruining a perfectly good TX500, and being too weenified to fix your brakes.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Or get a 20cc syringe, a 6" piece of clear hose, some plumbers tape for the bleed nipples and bleed your brakes in 5 minutes for next to nothing.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Or get a 20cc syringe, a 6" piece of clear hose, some plumbers tape for the bleed nipples and bleed your brakes in 5 minutes for next to nothing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Or get a 20cc syringe, a 6" piece of clear hose, some plumbers tape for the bleed nipples and bleed your brakes in 5 minutes for next to nothing.
Yes. This is how we bled mountain bike brakes at the bike shop. I wondered how big a syringe I would need for a motorcycle though, since you run the risk of bubbles if you have to take the syringe off to refill.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Or get a 20cc syringe, a 6" piece of clear hose, some plumbers tape for the bleed nipples and bleed your brakes in 5 minutes for next to nothing.
Yes. This is how we bled mountain bike brakes at the bike shop. I wondered how big a syringe I would need for a motorcycle though, since you run the risk of bubbles if you have to take the syringe off to refill.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
When you pull the syringe off, fill it, and put it back on, pull some fluid back through it to get the bubble out of the line. Just like if you're mainlining heroin. Keep the syringe vertical to keep the bubbles up near the plunger. Any medical supply shop will have good sized syringes.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
When you pull the syringe off, fill it, and put it back on, pull some fluid back through it to get the bubble out of the line. Just like if you're mainlining heroin. Keep the syringe vertical to keep the bubbles up near the plunger. Any medical supply shop will have good sized syringes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:We'll be the judge of that.
Shit. I left that one way open.

quote: Oh, for Christ's sake. Wasn't that bike a runner?
Yes, it was. And then like a dumbass newb "I wanna make a cafe racer too!" I started ruining things. Then gas jumped over $4 a gallon that summer so I started riding it to work. It handled really well, but I never tuned anything after adding those stupid shorty mufflers and it wasn't quite right. Then #2 was born, and then I had this wild haired idea to work on a library of classic road tests which has been a huge project and tons of fun. Go check it out at www.YeOldeCycleShoppe.wordpress.com I'd love to get some feedback on the site.

quote: I expect these to arrive at my home via FedEx no later than Friday.
Quite honestly, if you want to pay the shipping I'm not opposed to that. We're getting ready to move to Colorado this fall and they'd have to go anyway. I keep them thinking I'll use them on the next TX because I need a do over with that bike, but it won't be for years. Not with this Z1 project lurking over me.
quote:For God's sake, man. You attempted to "flush" the system and then gave up? A $30 brake bleeder http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-Brake-Bleeder-Vacuum-Pump-Test-Tuner-Kit-Tools-/290582176188?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item43a80c21bc&vxp=mtr (and maybe some new seals) and you would be back in business. Learn how to fix your existing system first, then maybe later you can start thinking about how to change them and/or adapt a newer system.
There it is. What I missed most of all - constructive criticism. I didn't give up, I had 15 minutes of free time and decided to bleed the brake. 15 minutes went by and nothing improved, so I figured my options were rebuild or refit. Since my day job plants me in front of a CAD screen with access to laser cutters, tube benders and turning centers, it's just as easy to retro fit a newer, better brake as it is to make the old mediocre one work. I use front brake almost exclusively unless I'm braking hard, so I'd rather have a better brake there anyway. Especially if these are known to fail and a newer setup would save weight.

quote:Maybe I'll even contribute! Unless we ban your sorry ass for ruining a perfectly good TX500, and being too weenified to fix your brakes.
Hahaha - I didn't realize how gay that sounded until I read it here. I doubt I'll have much to contribute technically that you haven't already seen. However my collection of vintage road tests and tech articles might come in handy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:We'll be the judge of that.
Shit. I left that one way open.

quote: Oh, for Christ's sake. Wasn't that bike a runner?
Yes, it was. And then like a dumbass newb "I wanna make a cafe racer too!" I started ruining things. Then gas jumped over $4 a gallon that summer so I started riding it to work. It handled really well, but I never tuned anything after adding those stupid shorty mufflers and it wasn't quite right. Then #2 was born, and then I had this wild haired idea to work on a library of classic road tests which has been a huge project and tons of fun. Go check it out at www.YeOldeCycleShoppe.wordpress.com I'd love to get some feedback on the site.

quote: I expect these to arrive at my home via FedEx no later than Friday.
Quite honestly, if you want to pay the shipping I'm not opposed to that. We're getting ready to move to Colorado this fall and they'd have to go anyway. I keep them thinking I'll use them on the next TX because I need a do over with that bike, but it won't be for years. Not with this Z1 project lurking over me.
quote:For God's sake, man. You attempted to "flush" the system and then gave up? A $30 brake bleeder http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-Brake-Bleeder-Vacuum-Pump-Test-Tuner-Kit-Tools-/290582176188?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item43a80c21bc&vxp=mtr (and maybe some new seals) and you would be back in business. Learn how to fix your existing system first, then maybe later you can start thinking about how to change them and/or adapt a newer system.
There it is. What I missed most of all - constructive criticism. I didn't give up, I had 15 minutes of free time and decided to bleed the brake. 15 minutes went by and nothing improved, so I figured my options were rebuild or refit. Since my day job plants me in front of a CAD screen with access to laser cutters, tube benders and turning centers, it's just as easy to retro fit a newer, better brake as it is to make the old mediocre one work. I use front brake almost exclusively unless I'm braking hard, so I'd rather have a better brake there anyway. Especially if these are known to fail and a newer setup would save weight.

quote:Maybe I'll even contribute! Unless we ban your sorry ass for ruining a perfectly good TX500, and being too weenified to fix your brakes.
Hahaha - I didn't realize how gay that sounded until I read it here. I doubt I'll have much to contribute technically that you haven't already seen. However my collection of vintage road tests and tech articles might come in handy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga
Just like if you're mainlining heroin.
Heroin.... Yeah... I beat that shit cold turkey!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga
Just like if you're mainlining heroin.
Heroin.... Yeah... I beat that shit cold turkey!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
20cc syringe is big enough to fill most M/C reserviors....and that's pretty much all you need.

Any bigger and they get hard to push/pull as well.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
20cc syringe is big enough to fill most M/C reserviors....and that's pretty much all you need.

Any bigger and they get hard to push/pull as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts