Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
there is a chopper company that makes them, they advertise in the horse all the time. They are like $500 a set. Same company also makes perimeter disc brakes for wire wheels. I am drawing a fucking blank on the name.

I don't know if they are stock to that bmw/dnepr or not.

I have seen that bike around. A guy I used to work for in the city had it's ural cousin - a cammo painted sidecar rig with a dummy machine gun.

we're stupid for sidecars in NY.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the BMW copies that come on the Chinese or Russian bikes are ok, they even have decent leverage, unlike the stock inverted levers fitted to the 30's brit bike (yeah the ones on a Brough Superior are for chit) and can be had very cheap

I have some I'd offer you but I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for them at this point

I even have some original BMW levers too but they would set you back a small fortune

poke about on ebay and I am thinking a few of the guys who sell these bikes new also have parts

some of the guys who are dealers for the Chinese or Russian bikes are quite strange to deal with

not nearly as strange as South East Asians

but they can be a handful just the same

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the levers are worth ten bucks

now here is the caveat, you may have to putz about with the ID of your handlebars

perhaps even rough them up a bit

maybe even knurl them

to get them to fit and keep them in place

just have to keep that in mind

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm... now how to get bar end mirrors to mount to that? Does anyone have them on a cafe bike or have seen them on a cafe bike?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
nothing wrong with a pair at twenty.... they are decent but not first world class quality, so buy a spare while you are at it, besides levers get broken often and you will have to likely do some cable work to make them work on your bike

regular levers work much better and good heavy chrome plated cast brass ones last much longer

the bar ends make routine and regular cable maintenance more tedious

you know, injecting dri-slide and greasing the cable ball ends

then don't forget you have to make holes in your bars for the cables to exit from them and deal with any conflicts you may or may not have around the busy or barren trees

I've seen a few cafe types with them but I usually seem to manage forgetting mirrors on my bikes

the ones I've seen with mirrors just used short stem clamp on type mirrors either under or over the bars

often I forget to wire up a brake light too ;)

just my two is all

I'll have to dig up pix of some genuine Magura racing levers I had a while bike, a pair of them didn't weigh a pound including perches

the vintage BMW race guys tell me they only last a race or two, if you are lucky

they are really very feather light

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I can try to post pix of "how" they work and are if none of you are able to find pix on ebay of the "swedging" bits inside that secure them

I THINK I can find them today since I'll be right in amongst all that stuff

very simple and much more solid than the weak stamped metal bits found inside the cheap Emgo bar end mirrors that never seem to keep themselves in the end of handlbars

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
they are stock /2 levers im pretty sure.

bucky at bobs bmw if you want the real deal.

jc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts