Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First post here. I have a 1973 Honda CL350 (it was my first motorcycle, bought it a few years ago) That no longer runs. Back when it used to run, it would top out at 45 mph (or 50 going down hill). Anyway, recently I took the bike out of storage and it will not start. When I turn the gas on and try use the throttle in attempt to start it, gas will flood straight out of the carb onto the ground.

My question is why this is happening. My next question is If I buy 2 new Mikuni 30mm (or 32mm, whats the difference?) and install them? would it fix this issue and also would it increase the speed my honda will max out at.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
573 Posts
The answer to both question is yes and yes. Though you don't have to buy new carbs to get it running, stop it from leaking or make it faster. If you just clean the ones you have thoroughly and make sure the bike is tuned up it should be able to get over 80mph pretty easily. The listed back in the day, direct from the marketing dept. secret test track, top speed is actually 100mph.

Do some googleing, read up on how to clean and rebuild carbs, and buy some new float needles and seats. It is also possible that the CL muffler is clogged with crud, or the air filters may be water logged. Both of those things would seriously diminish performance.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Stored you say. Was it prepared, oiled and tucked away in the warm, dry Minnesota indoors, or abandoned with dirty old fuel still in it and relegated to the harsh Minnesota outdoor storage facility ?:I

You have a lot of work ahead of you Dingus, you don't get to just run out and purchase new carbs for a 42 year old motorcycle, stick them on and have it work, sadly it doesn't work that way. You are going to have to learn about carbs, ignition, valve adjustment, suspension components, brake servicing etc. etc. You also don't upgrade motorcycle performance like a computer, you can't just plug in a bigger RAM SIMM and instantly see performance results. Concentrate on making everything work at least as good as it was when it was new, one part at a time. Eventually you will have a working motorcycle and if it is truly running on both cylinders, it will do a little better then 45mph.
I think you should be able to pull a little better then 80mph ~ roughly the same straight line performance as a 360cc 2-stroke motocross bike. At least that is how they ran when I raced against them back in the 1970's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, your response was very helpful. I hadn't even thought of checking the mufflers for gunk, which is a great idea. I looked into rebuilding carbs and somebody on another forum suggested I just forget rebuilding them and buy new ones. I wasn't sure which I should do but I think I will follow your advice and rebuild them. I'll keep you posted thanks for responding :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I rode the bike for a few years before storing it. It was professionally stored in an indoor garage. I have always had carb issues with the bike, which probably would explain why it can't go above 45 mph. The bike spent several trips into the shop when I gave up and eventually had it stored. Someone on a different forum suggested I just forget the carbs and buy new ones, since I'm converting the bike to a cafe anyway. I figured that made sense but I wanted to ask this community first. Thank you for your input and response. I'll try and rebuild the carbs and I'll keep you updated if I have any issues. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tell me about it. I brought the bike in so many times that it cost about 3x the amount I even bought the bike for, and they never solved any issues :( that's why I decided I would rather teach myself and do it on my own. This is just a project anyway, as I have a few other bikes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Before doing anything, you really should have tried to diagnose what was the issue with is not going above 45mph. Now that it isn't running you pretty much have to do everything to it, and you still may not fix the slow running issues, which may have been as simple as a bad spark plug end cap.

The Mikuni carbs are going to be better, sure. But if you slap them on there you may still have some issue. Maybe 1 cylinder has bad compression, maybe 1 set of points was just way out of adjustment. Who knows. Get it to run on both cylinders now, then start to do cafe racer modifications.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts