Cafe Racer Forum banner

621 - 640 of 1061 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Honestly I still feel like the Jaguar v12 gets a bad rap. my opinion is its mostly negligent owners.
mostly but it was and still is an expensive engine to service. now that it is older parts are slightly cheaper but still...labor adds up quick

Put a comparable era Ferrari v12 through the average Jaguar daily driver use cycle. I bet the Jag lives a lot longer.
fixed it for you.
you bring up an interesting point. You don't see many 70's-80's ferraris as DDs but the majority of XJSs were people's daily drivers. the V12 looks really complex when you look at it but it isn't all that complex, there is just way more of everything and it's all packaged with the care and effort for which the British are known for :rolleyes:. It's an expensive thing to pay someone to work on and an intimidating thing to work on yourself.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Hard to compare Jags with Ferrari's. The typical Jag owner spends a whole lot less for a Jag and therefore there are more people who can afford a Jag and not do scheduled maintenance on them. Ferrari owners are a different breed and they usually have more disposable money, so sending it in for expensive scheduled maintenance is nothing to them.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
Are we talking about cars NEW, or cars that are now out of production and on the used market?

A NEW XJS was never cheap. Also I would bet that most XJS were bought by a person that wanted one. Not the same with F car buyers.

service costs for the jag are based on perception.
People THINK they are hard to work on. SO they take them to a shop that is expensive.

Yeah they are harder to work on then a farm tractor, but nothing crazy.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Hard to compare Jags with Ferrari's. The typical Jag owner spends a whole lot less for a Jag and therefore there are more people who can afford a Jag and not do scheduled maintenance on them. Ferrari owners are a different breed and they usually have more disposable money, so sending it in for expensive scheduled maintenance is nothing to them.

I don't know, a 1980 XJS v12 fully loaded was pretty close to $50K. Want to know what else you could get for $50K in 1980? a 308 GTS. However of the two the jaguar is the more useable car and therefore the car that appealed to the broader market.

And if you don't think there are cheap ferrari owners out there who neglect maintenance, go shopping for a used 308 or mondial. They are $20K cars these days for a reason.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
The discussion on the Jag was about the V12, not the cheap V8 in the 308. There were no Ferrari's listed on the list of scariest cars to work on. $8K for a clutch job and $5K for normal 15K mile tune up on a Contach, Ya, I'm staying away from that car. I wish I knew what my brothers Mondial went for, guarantee it was cheap, probably $15K or less..

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #626
The discussion on the Jag was about the V12, not the cheap V8 in the 308. There were no Ferrari's listed on the list of scariest cars to work on. $8K for a clutch job and $5K for normal 15K mile tune up on a Contach, Ya, I'm staying away from that car.
You sir have never done the engine out service on a 348 or 355

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #629
or the 80's 512 testarossa. Holy crap I have nightmares about that. Every 30K the engine has to come out of the car.
Actually the Testarossa is not that bad.
Yes it is time, but it is not hard work.

512 changed the sub frames a bit.
Cake walk.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Actually the Testarossa is not that bad.
Yes it is time, but it is not hard work.

512 changed the sub frames a bit.
Cake walk.
Sure....put car on lift, unbolt subframe, lift car. enjoy coffee break by cappuccino machine in your garage. easy peasy. lol.

I don't see too many people doing a service of one of these using a floor jack and jack stands.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #631
Sure....put car on lift, unbolt subframe, lift car. enjoy coffee break by cappuccino machine in your garage. easy peasy. lol.

I don't see too many people doing a service of one of these using a floor jack and jack stands.
I see your point.
But I am saying that mechanically they are not some black art.

I would rather do another 355 service then pull a V12 jag out of a car.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I see your point.
But I am saying that mechanically they are not some black art.

I would rather do another 355 service then pull a V12 jag out of a car.
How many routine services in 100K miles require you to pull the V12? 0? How many routine services require you to pull the entire engine and subframe out of a 355 in 100K miles? what's that? 3? maybe more if an alternator belt breaks? pass.

I do agree with you about pulling the v12 but the point is you don't have to. Maybe that's why so many end up with Chevy engines, once they wrestle that 800lb monster out of there nobody wants to wrestle it back in.

Still there are so many under appreciated 60's jaguars that I would rather have one of those than a newer one. Jaguar 420s? yeah they are basically a 4 door xke.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #634
My point is that the 355 and 348 are MEANT to be removed.
This is not some error that forces owners to remove the engine.
It is normal service and not hard.

If you want to talk strictly about time then yes a Ferrari will require more time over 100K miles.
But I maintain that it doesn't require an unreasonable amount of time. And certnly isn't something you need a Dr to work on.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you wanna buy a car, buy a jag.
Cos there's plenty of room for a shag.
There's a biscuit tin to keep your johnies in.
If you wanna buy a car buy a jag.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
If you wanna buy a car, buy a jag.
Cos there's plenty of room for a shag.
There's a biscuit tin to keep your johnies in.
If you wanna buy a car buy a jag.
"Classey"

621 - 640 of 1061 Posts