Cafe Racer Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1061 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
My father had a Jag XJ sedan for a while, it had the 3 carburetor set up. It was a pain in the ass and complete piece of shit 90% of the time. But for the 10% of the time it worked, man was it a fun car to drive, smooth and sounded beautiful.
My dad ordered a tor-red Hemi 4 speed 'cuda in 1970. The guys at the dealership convinced him that he would have trouble keeping the multiple carbs tuned. They took him for a ride in a GTX and he was sold. He switched the order to the 4 bbl 440 super commando. We still have the car, so I guess we can't complain. Still not sure why he switched colors though...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I like the GTX, seems like I see more Cuda's then GTX these days. When I was stationed at NS Mayport FL there was a red one with black top, it was beautiful.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I like the 'cuda best, but I am pretty biased. The GTX was so similar to the Road Runner, Satellite and Belvedere that growing up you would see them around a ton. Hell, the cops drove 4 door versions. Now there aren't many of the plain Jane cars left, so you only see very few. People started repopping 'cuda parts earlier, so I think more were restored.

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
I like the 'cuda best, but I am pretty biased. The GTX was so similar to the Road Runner, Satellite and Belvedere that growing up you would see them around a ton. Hell, the cops drove 4 door versions. Now there aren't many of the plain Jane cars left, so you only see very few. People started repopping 'cuda parts earlier, so I think more were restored.
We used to joke in High School that the Roadrunner was the fast ticket to prison. They were so cheap and easily available even during the muscle car boom because people only wanted hemis and 440s. In the early 1990's $3K bought you a pretty nice 383 roadrunner. They were pretty much the defacto liquor store hold up car in any TV police drama and some commercials. They were just so...joe dirt. What made it really funny was a buddy of mine went to buy a 1968 roadrunner clone in the mid-90's and we had to go to a correctional facility to have the title signed over. I think the Monte Carlo SS has sort of taken over that mantle today.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Geeto, sorry if I got your hopes up, It was the 63 Split Window Corvette that fetched $140k. The GTO only pulled $21K. Vintage GTO's were only pulling $20-$29k

I saw this Challenger sell. I had the same car, but picture it in the same color schemas the above GTO and that was mine. It was funny because another kid named Mark in my town had the same car at the same time. I have never seen one again since I sold mine in Calif. in 1975. Those side vent appliqués where the strobe stripe comes out are made of unobtainium if you can find them.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Geeto, sorry if I got your hopes up, It was the Black 63 Split Window Corvette that fetched $140k. The GTO only pulled $21K. Vintage GTO's were only pulling $20-$29k

I saw this Challenger sell. I had the same car, but picture it in the same color scheme as the above GTO and that was mine. It was funny because another kid named Mark in my town had the same car at the same time. I have never seen one again since I sold mine in Calif. in 1975. Those side vent appliqués where the strobe stripe comes out are made of unobtainium if you can find them.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
They were just so...joe dirt. What made it really funny was a buddy of mine went to buy a 1968 roadrunner clone in the mid-90's and we had to go to a correctional facility to have the title signed over. I think the Monte Carlo SS has sort of taken over that mantle today.
LOL, I forgot about his Roadrunner, wasn't it Plum Crazy Purple? Or was that just the one in the auto trader he was looking at while in Buffalo Bob's pit?

I always looked at the Monte Carlo and Z28 Camero as the car driven by every felon that ever lived lol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
We used to joke in High School that the Roadrunner was the fast ticket to prison. They were so cheap and easily available even during the muscle car boom because people only wanted hemis and 440s. In the early 1990's $3K bought you a pretty nice 383 roadrunner. They were pretty much the defacto liquor store hold up car in any TV police drama and some commercials. They were just so...joe dirt. What made it really funny was a buddy of mine went to buy a 1968 roadrunner clone in the mid-90's and we had to go to a correctional facility to have the title signed over. I think the Monte Carlo SS has sort of taken over that mantle today.
Some time around 1989 I passed on a '70 RR for $1500. 383/automatic with 3.23 rear IIRC. It was not a fast car. I don't think I ever drove an automatic muscle car that really felt right to me.

Geeto, sorry if I got your hopes up, It was the 63 Split Window Corvette that fetched $140k. The GTO only pulled $21K. Vintage GTO's were only pulling $20-$29k

I saw this Challenger sell. I had the same car, but picture it in the same color schemas the above GTO and that was mine. It was funny because another kid named Mark in my town had the same car at the same time. I have never seen one again since I sold mine in Calif. in 1975. Those side vent appliqués where the strobe stripe comes out are made of unobtainium if you can find them.
I am not sure of the quality, but Performance Car Graphics makes them. I'm sure there are others. I think you can make pretty much any e-body mopar that you want from new parts at this point. [email protected] is this weekend. You can find anything you can imagine.

1972 1973 1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye Strobe Stripes

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The new versions of these cars, well the Charger and the Challenger anyway, look good. But why did they go and screw up the Dart? Granted the Dart/Duster was not on the same level as the other Mopar's but it was a hell of a car in it's own right.

plymouth-duster-440-03.jpg

Edit: Have you seen the new Dart, ugly...

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
1989 BMW 325i - Spec E30 race car

so this guy has been trying to sell this E30 for a while now... it's an amazing setup but crackpipe price...

if it were a more reasonable price, I'd love to buy it and make it street legal

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
For Sale 3 BMW/s 1968-1974 -1972?

$2300 for three BMW 2002 parts cars... pretty sure there's more than enough to make 1 good 2002
The problem with any New Class cars is they are such traps for structural rust any project almost needs immediate rust repair. And it's always in places you don't really expect if you are unfamiliar with the cars like the rear shock towers and the front inner fenders.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
For Sale 3 BMW/s 1968-1974 -1972?

$2300 for three BMW 2002 parts cars... pretty sure there's more than enough to make 1 good 2002
Lol.... my mate Gary dismantled 8 Capri's to get the right parts together and then he still had to go out and find a decent shell to build into which still needed a lot of cosmetic rust work.

2002's fetch good money here in the UK. That ad just smells a bit fishy to me.....

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
restored ones fetch $20K-$30k here which when you compare it to something like a 190SL merc, is pocket change, but otherwise still kind of expensive for an "average" classic car. Project cars in the US however? yeah people know these cars are crap when a project and they are dirt cheap. $2300 sounds low but not unreasonable for what is essentially a shed load of parts and nothing else.

The cars I am looking at are E21 320i bmws, because they are still cheap and already have all the upgrades you would do to a 2002 anyway (like better front suspension). But they are just starting to creep up from $2500 for nice ones to $5K for nice ones.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Gotta get in before speculators drive up the price... but does that make you a speculator as well?

Right now I'm debating on what I want to do with my 2005 S4.
I need to do the clutch. I will also need to eventually do the timing chain guides (which requires a motor pull). If I do the guides, I can do the clutch at the same time. This job however, is above my skill and time threshold so I would have it done by a mechanic. Figure it would cost about $8000 at a shop (including parts) to completely refresh the timing components and install a new clutch/lightweight flywheel. The car is currently at 137,000 miles and is for all intents and purposes tight as a drum. If I try to sell without doing the guides, the most I could probably get is $8,000 on a good day.

If I sell the car for $7,000 and add in the money saved ($8,000) from not doing the clutch/timing I would have $15k to spend on getting another vehicle (without having payments or a loan)...

So here's my question... what vehicle out there that's in that price range can compete with the following:
V8
6spd
AW
4-doors
recaro seats

If I found a B7 S4 Avant I would consider that, but it's the same motor meaning I'd have to do the guides eventually, and the avants command a premium.

I'll probably just do the guides and drive the car for another 100,000 miles

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
V8
6spd
AW
4-doors
recaro seats
the one (actually two) cars that come to mind, although they are not 6 speeds are Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum R/T AWD. There is a chick here at work that drives one and the thing is a tank. Stone simple, all the subtly of a hammer to the fore-brain, and not half bad looking.

The manual trans or the AWD is the hangup with the V8. It's really easy to just say go buy a Pontiac G8 GT but unless you find a G8 GXP (one of 700) you aren't getting a stick and no way are you getting AWD. Chevrolet SS's are starting to come up used, but the stick ones are close to MSRP for even 2014s and still RWD only.

Nothing wrong with a turbo inline 6 - BMW 335xi's are a pretty solid car. can get them in stick, plus they bias RWD (unlike the audi). I drove a subaru Legacy GT 6MT (the Legacy with the STI engine) last year and it was actually a really fun car to drive, but again not v-8 but a turbo 4 cyl.

Porsche Panameras 4S's are v8, AWD, but the trans is a DCT.

921 - 940 of 1061 Posts