Cafe Racer Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1061 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Those tanks are pretty impossible to find in the south. I actually want one for diesel storage for my brother's place.

That being said. I know where there is a riveted one that leaks but it may be too big. I think its more 400-500 gallons.

My C4 is a 96 six speed. Black, grey inside. Zero options. Loud hooligan exhaust. Needs a clutch. I have a good used pressure plate and a new sprung hub disc. I have a steel flywheel but it will require balancing to the original worn out dual mass.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
Those tanks are pretty impossible to find in the south. I actually want one for diesel storage for my brother's place.

That being said. I know where there is a riveted one that leaks but it may be too big. I think its more 400-500 gallons.
the two common sizes are 275 gallons and 500 gallons. searching 300 gallons brings up nothing. Most houses using fuel oil for the furnace have one.

Ohio is lousy with them because of all the farming. the problem is most are selling for $300 used when they are $380 new. I am going to try and find one to measure.

edit: I just looked up the specs on line and the 275 gallon tank is 60" (5 feet long), 44 (3.5 feet tall), but only 27" (2.25 feet) wide. The standard T bucket frame is 29" (2.4 feet) at the rear and 24" (2 feet) at the front, so...hmmmmm

For juxtaposition the standard T bucket body is between 43" and 46" wide (3.5-3.8 feet) for a two seater. A single pro-car racing seat is about 21" wide so....I think this is dooable for a single seat style speedster.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
the two common sizes are 275 gallons and 500 gallons. searching 300 gallons brings up nothing. Most houses using fuel oil for the furnace have one.

Ohio is lousy with them because of all the farming. the problem is most are selling for $300 used when they are $380 new. I am going to try and find one to measure.

edit: I just looked up the specs on line and the 275 gallon tank is 60" (5 feet long), 44 (3.5 feet tall), but only 27" (2.25 feet) wide. The standard T bucket frame is 29" (2.4 feet) at the rear and 24" (2 feet) at the front, so...hmmmmm

For juxtaposition the standard T bucket body is between 43" and 46" wide (3.5-3.8 feet) for a two seater. A single pro-car racing seat is about 21" wide so....I think this is dooable for a single seat style speedster.
Here in NJ they have outlawed in-ground tanks. All the in-ground tanks are grandfathered but once it's time to replace it, up it comes and they put in an above ground tank. If we ever have to have our 500 gallon tank replaced, I'll make sure to save it for you.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Black on grey. LT4. Six speed. needs a clutch. no option car. I would say its in about a 6 out of 10 condition.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
Here in NJ they have outlawed in-ground tanks. All the in-ground tanks are grandfathered but once it's time to replace it, up it comes and they put in an above ground tank. If we ever have to have our 500 gallon tank replaced, I'll make sure to save it for you.
Jim, you actually have a T body, If I ever get around to doing this I'm just gonna come for that instead

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If this sort of thing trips your trigger, go poke around jalopyjournal.com, the HAMB forum. Guys are using fenders and things to build cars like this, they've got more interesting shapes than the oil tanks. Cowls aren't too hard to find, they can be narrowed and everything behind them faked somehow.

I've got a few parts left over form my current project and am thinkng about a single seater myself. Because I need more ways to spend time and money.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
So I've recently become obsessed with Mitsubishi 3000GTs and Starions...

Need more disposable income

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
No where else to bitch so I'll do it here. The MODULAR PARTS TRAP finally pushed me over the edge. Remember the days when you could go and by a ball joint and just a ball joint. Blow 50$ and an hours work and away you go. The ball joints in the mazda 3, $185 a side for the lower "UNIT" to fix it. Drive shaft hanger bearing, had to buy it and the half shaft with it. $200 for a #$%^&in bearing . Now the automatic shifter. Pulled it apart and found a worn plastic alignment sleeve needed replacing. Can't be worth $2, $5 tops. They don't sell internal parts for the shifter control! The UNIT will be $300. Thats when I snapped. Parts guy was being a condescending dick anyway which wasn't helping. Pretty sure that bridge is rightly burnt. Piece of plastic a dremel tool and a zip tie later and done. Reminded me why I drive old pieces of shit till they die and move on. There I feel better.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
Actually stephen I had the opposite problem with my BMW. BMW has a bushing in the front suspension that is liquid filled. when they burst they make a mess and then the car pulls the direction of the broken rubber bushing because the wheel is moving around. replacing the bushing itself requires a press and is a lot of labor. However, most parts sellers just sell the control arm with the bushing already pressed in and it's just a bolt in deal that takes 45 min time and can be done with the car on jack stands. BMW's dealer insists on replacing just the bushing for about $1000 for both fronts. Sometimes modular is better.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Actually stephen I had the opposite problem with my BMW. BMW has a bushing in the front suspension that is liquid filled. when they burst they make a mess and then the car pulls the direction of the broken rubber bushing because the wheel is moving around. replacing the bushing itself requires a press and is a lot of labor. However, most parts sellers just sell the control arm with the bushing already pressed in and it's just a bolt in deal that takes 45 min time and can be done with the car on jack stands. BMW's dealer insists on replacing just the bushing for about $1000 for both fronts. Sometimes modular is better.
The offset of labour vs. parts cost could make it sensible. I'll even give Mazda the benefit of the doubt on the hanger bearing. A new one pressed on over the shaft may have been more but it's doubtful. I'm chucking a perfectly good half shaft in the bin because the bearing is cooked. The shifter part was just out right ridiculous. It took 30 minutes to get it apart even with my limited knowledge and find the issue. A 1 inch plastic sleeve easily accessible that's pennies to make but not sold separately from the 300$ assembly. Why's the whole thing plastic in the first place? Ball joints a hanger bearing and that sleeve total $900 before labour. That would require allot of cost offset. This Mazda has been just one of "those" cars but she likes it soooooo. I payed $2000 for an old Ford Freestar 3+ years ago. Replaces a tire. The Mazda $12000 and I've lost count on the maintenance $$ on it. I'll stick with other peoples old junk specially if it's a bike.

1041 - 1060 of 1061 Posts